Forum: Adults / Children & Parenting

Children & Parenting
Sippy cups
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:39 PM

M has had sippy cups for water since he was about six months old. Took to them with ease, loves them. Since I stopped breastfeeding, he has had his milk in a bottle. Loves *them*, too.

I want to transition his to having his milk in a sippy cup, but each time I try (mid-morning, or mid-afternoon, never his bedtime bottle) he spits out the milk - either dribbling down his front or in an impressive fountain straight at me - because it's not the water he's used to coming out of that spout. At this point, he'll only drink milk from a bottle. And we're stuck.

(I should also mention, he still prefers being held and cuddled when he has his bottle. Very rarely does he take his milk and drink it away from me.)

How did you transition your kids to drinking milk from a sippy cup during the day? Were there any sippy cups you tried that were better than others for this? Should I try a straw cup instead? Help?

4 Replies to Sippy cups

re: Sippy cups
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Thu Oct 31, 2013 07:19 AM
you could try getting him a different sippy cup for milk - maybe one that flows a little slower? He might take to it better that way.
By RifleBuddy Comments: 306, member since Tue Aug 26, 2003
On Thu Oct 31, 2013 08:04 AM
Seconding a different cup - maybe a different color. I was turned off soda for life because my mother had some in a covered cup that she thought contained water. She handed it to two-year-old me, it was not what I had expected, and that was that. Maybe let him watch you prepare it?
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Fri Nov 01, 2013 07:57 AM
Have you tried the cups with the straw?

I know Teresa flat out refused a sippy cup.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions :)

I went out and bought him a straw cup yesterday afternoon, and it was a success! He took to it straight away (maybe it helped that he watched me pour the milk into it?), and again this afternoon. Not counting my chickens yet, but that's two milk drinks without a bottle down!

The other straw cup I bought (which I tried with his morning bottle) was a dismal failure because of how it opened. Clever non-spill hinged lids aren't so great if you can't get close to the straw!

ReplySendWatch