Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Competitions

Ballet - Competitions
Choreography question
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:23 PM

I have a ballet choreography question.

When you use a piece of music, do you use the set choreography to that music? Like, one of our girls is doing the "Talisman Variation" this year. Is there set choreography to go with that piece of music, or is more like, say, jazz, where you pick out a song and every instructor can interpret it in their own way?

I hope this makes some sense, lol...

5 Replies to Choreography question

re: Choreography question
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:38 PM
Depends on the competition. Something like YAGP would use set choreography, something like JUMP I'd use original choreography, while maybe borrowing heavily from the idea of the original variation. All around competitions are looking for a different criteria than ballet only competitions. I don't mean to say they don't care for classical variations at general comps, it's just, they're under appreciated when you compare them with the girl who does a quintuple turn and lowers perfectly into a complete 180 a la seconde extension. The hops en pointe seem a bit less impressive in comparison, despite being super difficult to execute well.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Mon Nov 04, 2013 06:51 AM
^Agree. Although it's always hard to use the word 'set' for choreographies - Sugar Plum fairy has multiple different choreographies for it. But yeah there is a set choreography: www.youtube.com . . .

But kudos to your student! That's a very difficult variation!
By ELLS Comments: 20, member since Sun Aug 18, 2013
On Sun Dec 29, 2013 02:56 PM
Is it hard to choreograph ballet?
By ELLS Comments: 20, member since Sun Aug 18, 2013
On Sun Dec 29, 2013 02:57 PM
Is it hard to choreograph ballet? Do you have to include plié and glissades and other set moves from the exam syabus?
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 808, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:52 PM
Who is it who generally gets to 'set' the choreography in the first place? Is it always the original choreographer I wonder.

And is the 'opposite' of 'set' choreo a 'variation' ( based on the 'set')?

Is there such a thing as a 'set variation'?

Reason I ask is that the rules for a major competition I read recently uses the term 'solo set'. Am I correct to assume that this means or refers to a dance by one person, where each contestant is meant to dance the identical steps and phrasing and the judges assess which competitor interpreted the same dance the best? Like solo pianists in a competition all playing from the same version of music, is that how it works?

At, for example, YGPA, for a variation, are competitors asked to each dance the same, for e.g. Bluebird variation, or are they allowed to select from different versions depending on their strengths and preferences?

ReplySendWatch