Forum: General / Tell dance.net

Tell dance.net
Want to delete your account and all your posts...not an option. (karma: 1)
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sat Nov 02, 2013 05:50 PM
Made sticky by Sumayah (204191) on 2013-11-02 18:18:33

Since we've had some people recently mod reporting every single post they have every made asking us to remove it...here is a refresher for you. Some words are mine, and some are courtesy of a post Andrew made long ago.

We don't delete accounts or erase comments in bulk. There are some technical reasons that problems occur when we wipe users from the database. I could get into the details, but the fact is if there were a compelling reason to do it, we'd consider it, however usually we won't.

We realize there are some sites which do let you delete an account, and that creates the expectation that you should be able to do that anywhere on the net, but that just isn't the case and our site isn't the only site that doesn't give you that option.

Most sites have at least a pre-net analogue which is more relevant. With a banking site, you move your money around just as you would in a real bank. You close your account, you move on. The bank keeps what records they need to, but you can't use them again without opening a new account.

Sites like Facebook are kind of like a billboard. You put your content out for the world to see and you can pull it down at any time, replace it with new content, or stop renting the space altogether. People can't retrieve your content afterward unless they actively took a snapshot before it disappeared.

Forum sites like this site are different. It's not the perfect metaphor, but we could think of them as being like a newspaper. We have lead stories on the front page, and one giant "letters to the editor" section where people swap ideas, opinions, and other comments. You can stop getting the paper, but all those letters you sent in are a matter of public record. Even if they could, the publisher is not going to reprint last Thursday's edition and go to everyone's homes to change out each delivered paper. And what about all those editorial letters in response to the removed one? Would they have to be retracted automatically? Some of those people are proud of what they've written. How would they feel if their letters are removed or left confusingly out of context? So because it would alter the original poster's threads to have your comments removed or changed, and then alter people's comments after you that might have interacted with something you said...we don't go in and change things. It's called site integrity.

Hope that explains why your mod requests have been denied, or future mod requests regarding this matter will also be denied.

8 Replies to Want to delete your account and all your posts...not an option.

re: Want to delete your account and all your posts...not an option.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sat Nov 02, 2013 07:52 PM
I'll chip in too - we know that sometimes, there are safety concerns, and in those cases, we'll help. Things like naming your school, giving out your first and last name, that sort of thing. However, posting that you think the Japanese Hibachi restaurant is really awesome isn't a safety concern.
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Mon Dec 19, 2016 07:33 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2016-12-19 07:45:42 Shorter post
I just love that newspaper metaphor! I never thought of site integrity in that way! It makes so much sense!

(Unfortunately, the server just told me that I can't give karma until after posting 50 comments. Can I give you some later on?)
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:24 PM
LOL, no! This is part of being a mod. As we see stuff on the forum that needs fixing (like double posts), we fix it. Basically the reason why cross-posts and double posts get removed is so that when people respond to the thread, one conversation emerges. If there are accidentally two of the same post, you might end up with two different conversations and then when someone who replied to post A replies to post B, it gets confusing.

Trust me, I've accidentally double posted too. It happens, but it's no big deal. 😊
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sat May 13, 2017 10:49 AM
I can give karma now, so here's the karma I promised.

However, the server only lets me give out one point to a person. Can I award more than one karma point at a time if I think it is deserving? For example, if I think a comment deserves two karma points instead of one, do I have to go back and rate the same comment again a second time? Or is this prohibited by the server to prevent "karma binges"?

(Karma Binge=my description of giving too much karma to someone all at once)
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat May 13, 2017 11:20 AM
You can only give one karma point to a post, sorry, no karma binges :D
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10712, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Sun May 14, 2017 05:32 AM
Ah yes, the good old "think first, then post" thing...

Actually, yes, many website do allow you to "delete", but truth it that this very often only means that they hide what you posted, they do not really delete it.
Which again means, someone who knows how to get around this technique, could still see thwat you once posted!

That does include facebook! Yes, you can delete your account there. And it will appear as if it would be gone. But you can actually go back and tadaaa, all of a sudden your account including ALL the information is back. Because it was never really deleted, just hidden.

So basically: THINK FIRST, then post. This does not only go for dance.net, but for the whole internet!

And just in case you really made a mistake and slipped up with an information that could be a safety concern, then yes, in that case the Mods here are willing to step in and remove that information.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:29 PM
OK, but you can erase all my comments, right? My mom says I'm not allowed on DDN. How to delete slf from internets pls?
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:50 PM
panic wrote:

OK, but you can erase all my comments, right? My mom says I'm not allowed on DDN. How to delete slf from internets pls?

Internet is forever. Too bad so sad. Colon-pee

ReplySendWatch