Forum: Adults / Children & Parenting

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: So...I think James has a food allergy. What do I do?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Wed Nov 06, 2013 03:27 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-11-06 15:28:47
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-11-06 15:36:34
Sara, James has a history of reacting to foods ever since he was little. From what I remember, he was only like 40 lbs at 6 years old because he wasn't able to gain weight because he wouldn't eat food.

I am venturing that it is a gluten intorerance, because as you said, gluten is in everything these days, and James has a history of not wanting to eat foods due to " fear" and from what I remember, he always complained about not feeling too well after having something to eat.

As someone who does have a severe case of gluten intolerance, I only suggested it because James seems to be reacting in the same way mentally and physically. The difference is with allergies, you don't want to expose them to it. But with gluten , you need to expose them to test them for celiacs disease, so I was pointing out that Theresa shouldn't do the elimination diet without checking with the doctor first.

T, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Wed Nov 06, 2013 04:10 PM
Is James even 6 years old yet? Tell me he isn't...
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Wed Nov 06, 2013 05:21 PM
^ Pretty sure he's seven, so you can start openly weeping now.

I know my husband can react differently to different foods. He once ate some cheddar biscuits that had him in the worst pain of his life (pre-Celiac diagnosis). But these days he eats trace amounts and feels bad, but nothing like eating a biscuit (or cupcake, or pot pie) would.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:01 PM
Cake and pie are the only foods he's reported a reaction to. Which I know, makes the case for gluten a little flimsy. But, to bolster the case - I found a "gluten sensitivity self-test" on the Dr. Oz website, and it says that if have four or more on the given list of symptoms, gluten may be negatively impacting your health. Without even asking James, I can verify three of the symptoms occurring regularly (frequent gas, chronic constipation, and anxiety), another occurring on occasion (aches/pains in the joints), and even the occasional appearance of a fifth (excema). And that's just the symptoms I can verify, without even asking him about it!

My aunt says that there's not much sense in going to the doctor, because all they're really going to do is go "Uh, OK, so quit eating that then...", which, I mean, we don't eat cake or pie that much, but even still, not having your kid reduced to a quivering mass every time someone has a birthday, or holiday (Hi, Thanksgiving!) would be really nice!
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:39 PM
I'd disregard your aunt's comments - if you go in to the doctor's office and bring up the topic of food allergies and James' symptoms, no decent doctor will tell you simply to stop eating X. (And if a doctor does give you the brush-off like that, get a referal to one who didn't get their qualifications out of a wheaties box!) As you said, nobody wants James to have to live in fear of celebrations for the rest of his life - or worse, be told to suck it up and eat X (or find X hidden in 'safe' foods) even though it hurts him. If it is a true allergy, repeated exposure could trigger a far worse reaction, and nobody wants that to happen!

I know the food diary is tough given James' history, but now that he's at school, can he write in it? Or given him a book to write in every time he eats something that makes him feel bad - what it was, how he feels, etc? Having control or responsibility over something to do with the situation might help him accept the food diary again.

I don't envy you having to deal with this. Hope you can get to the bottom of it and James can eat cupcakes and kid-foods without fear of a reaction!
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:32 AM
My aunt says that there's not much sense in going to the doctor, because all they're really going to do is go "Uh, OK, so quit eating that then..."

This seems weird! When I was taken to an allergist, and at a tender age, I was given a scratch test, with about 60 specific substances tested.
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Thu Nov 07, 2013 04:16 AM
No, that's not how it works at the doctor. They know it's not easy to 'just stop eating that' so they usually do a test. I got tested for gluten because it's so complicated to try to eliminate gluten ou of a diet. Turns out I'm not intolerant at all. I have ibs and not celiac.

Like one member said, anxiety about a certain food can cause stomach aches. I know it happens to me a lot. At one point I thought I was intolerant to shrimps and became really nervous before eating them.

Chicken pot pie and cupcakes share a lot of ingredients that people are often allergic to, not just gluten: eggs and lactose for example.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Thu Nov 07, 2013 06:42 AM
Possibly corn as well. Depending on the bakery, there may be corn starch or modified corn starch in the flour. Same goes for most boxed cupcake and cake mixes. That would be even worse than gluten because if the culprit is corn, talk about being in everything. :/

When Boy was a camp counselor, one of his campers was allergic to corn. They had to be super careful with what they fed him and the kid would also double check the labels (he was old enough to know what to look for). He always had an epipen on him. I don't know how the kid got along in life. I suppose if he's used to it, though.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Thu Nov 07, 2013 07:26 AM
No, I know the doctor wouldn't do that. I was just tossing the opinion out there. He's actually seen an allergist before, but it sort of got to the point where we were all just wasting each others time - he was on every sort of allergy medicine they could put a kid his age on anyway, and they'd done a skin test and a blood test, and didn't turn up much (most of his allergies that have been discovered have been discovered by detective work on my part, not allergies), so they just kind of went "Alright, so call us if it gets worse..."

So on that online gluten sensitivity test, I asked James, and we added in two more symptoms. He says that he gets stomach aches "a couple times a week", but can only call out cake and pie by name as the causes. Although curiously, when I asked him if he had anxiety (I had to explain what it meant, I said it was like always being worried or nervous), he said no. Go figure. I would have put that one to the front of the line.
By majahayes Comments: 92, member since Mon Dec 01, 2008
On Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:30 AM
I think it sounds like more of an intolerance than an allergy. Allergies generally involve things like hives, rashes and swelling. Intolerances generally involve stomach aches, GI distress, and bloating. Either way, an allergy test should answer your questions.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:13 AM
Poor little dude. Does he feel bad when you prepare foods from scratch or is it just things that come prepared in a box? Growing up in a community with strict religious dietary rules, basically everything was made in our houses from scratch. Nothing came from a box, other than uncooked plain pasta. None of my friends had food allergies, and I can only recall a handful of people in the entire school that were allergic to peanuts. I find that kind of interesting, and wonder if it's something to do with something in prepared foods.
re: So...I think James has a food allergy. What do I do? (karma: 1)
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Thu Nov 07, 2013 04:49 PM
Just go to the doctor, as you recently told another poster on this site. James is clearly having some sort of medical issue with food and I really think you ought to just go and get tested and have a professional take a look at him instead of resorting to online surveys.

I would definitely inquire about a celiac screen. Why? I tend to think that gluten intolerance is WAY WAY WAY overhyped, but celiac disease is an autoimmune disease. If i remember correctly, you have a history of Hashimoto's right? (or some other thyroid disease...many of which have an autoimmune basis). Autoimmune diseases tend to run in families as a group. For example, whenever a kid is diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, we automatically screen them for celiac.

PLEASE don't go down the path of investigating food intolerances yourself before seeing a medical professional. Many of these tests are only accurate BEFORE you eliminate any foods.
re: So...I think James has a food allergy. What do I do? (karma: 1)
On Thu Nov 07, 2013 06:56 PM
^I actually ended up taking him to the doctor this afternoon. I expected it was going to take weeks to get him in, they were like "Actually, they can see him in an hour...", so done and done.

They ran the blood test for Celiacs, and referred him to an allergist.

As for his diet - right now, it's not great. We seem to go through spells in our house, where we clean up and eat right, then we fall off the wagon. Then we clean up, fall off, lather, rinse, repeat. We're definitely off the wagon right now. :/ I've been working toward cleaning up, I guess this is just even more incentive.
re: So...I think James has a food allergy. What do I do? (karma: 2)
On Fri Nov 08, 2013 09:07 PM
I think I might be on to something.

So the doctor had said yesterday that with the virtually instant onset of symptoms, that she didn't *expect* that Celiac was the answer. She said he might turn out to be more sensitive than most, but that she didn't think he was full on Celiac. So she ran the test anyway, and referred him to the allergist (that appointment is the first part of December).

Tonight, he got a kids meal from Wendy's for dinner, and as I'm getting it out of the bag and getting him set up, he starts drinking on the chocolate milk. And was only drinking the milk, he hadn't eaten any of the food.

Within 5 minutes, at the most, he's got tears in his eyes, holding his stomach, telling me he's got a stomach ache.

MILK! It's MILK!

And that would follow through with that he can only cite baked goods as giving him a stomach ache. White bread, pasta, things like that would contain little to no milk or milk products, where a cake or pie would contain a lot (butter, buttermilk, cream, margarine, etc., etc. - you can't hardly find a cake on the market that doesn't contain at least one of those, to say nothing for cake frosting).

Oh, I'm kind of excited to hear from the doc now, I really think I got something with this one...
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:21 PM
B is lactose sensitive. I can't have soy. We compromise with almond milk. The vanilla and chocolate varieties are really good. For him, since it's a lactose issue verses a dairy one, he can eat yogurt fine. You might try James with some yogurt and see if he has the same reaction as with milk or cheese. If not then it's probably the lactose, if yes, then it's dairy in general.
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Sat Nov 09, 2013 06:33 PM
Glad to hear it T! Well that you have an idea anyway. It may not be lactose at all but rather the milk protein.
In a baked good the lactose would most likely be cooked out. My mother is very lactose intolerant and never had a problem with baked goods or frosting.
I'm guessing casein allergy? One of the milk proteins. If so be careful with fake cheese as those can also contain casein.
By DefyingGravityPremium member Comments: 5265, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Sun Nov 10, 2013 01:18 PM
With your description, my thought goes straight to constipation. Kids can be horribly constipated even if they're pooping every day. The pain attacks tend to be worse when they eat or drink because peristalsis kicks in again. They can be perfectly fine for days then have a random pain attack. I've had 4 kids in the past two shifts I've worked with the exact symptoms, and all ended up being constipation.

Abdomen/pelvis X-Ray is all that's needed to diagnose. May want to start there before all of the allergy/elimination stuff.
On Sun Nov 10, 2013 06:26 PM
^He's had problems with constipation before, but I can attest to his regularity as of late. At least once a day, generally between 5 and 8. More frequently if he eats certain foods (Friday nights bout with milk sent him straight for the bathroom, for example...). And there was a bout of...well, of needing to get to the bathroom very urgently, if you know what I mean, on Thursday. :/ And usually when he's constipated, he complains of pain in his hips, which he hasn't in a while. :/ At this point, I'm not 100% ruling it out (cause stranger things have happened), but I'm not 100% on board with it either, if that makes sense...
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Sun Nov 10, 2013 07:38 PM
I didn't know that about constipation but now I do...

Poor kid really can't get a break when it comes to food.

I also can't believe how fast all these ddn babies are growing.
On Mon Nov 11, 2013 08:12 PM
Ok - much like the doctor anticipated would happen, Celiac has been officially crossed off the list.
By ishyfishiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1867, member since Fri Aug 15, 2003
On Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:02 PM
Edited by ishyfishie (71686) on 2013-11-14 12:06:43
Sorry I'm coming into this late. I would definitely have him tested for food allergies (our ped gave us scripts for initial bloodwork with both girls, but allergists followed up with skin testing). Lucy's allergic to milk, egg, peanuts and tree nuts. Her earlier reactions were all to breastmilk and then skin contact, but last year the allergist suggested we try a "baked egg" challenge because research is showing that egg-allergic individuals can usually tolerate it in baked goods and that it actually helps the outgrow the allergy. Well, last year she "passed" by doing it in increments, but vomited the following day after having the same half slice of banana bread. We were told to try it again this year and she would complain almost immediately of stomach pain. Now, she's pretty dramatic anyway, but it was like flat out lying on the couch moaning stomach pain. It had started the week before when she had what was supposed to be a safe cupcake, so we thought it couldn't be the baked egg, went gluten-free for two weeks (she seemed to complain most after wheat-heavy meals), quit the egg products to reduce the variables...and the minute she ate a bite of a different egg-containing good, she was moaning in pain again. We think the cupcake may have had some cross-contamination or something, or maybe was just pure coincidence. :/

I know I've seen some similarities in issues you've posted with James in the past and our experiences with Lucy, so I would definitely not discount food allergies. MANY reactions show up as things people don't even suspect are an allergic reaction (acid reflux, eczema, slow or no weight gain, behavioral issues, lack of focus/confusion). Confusion and incoherent rambling can actually BE signs of anaphylaxis.

Edit to add: Just as a head's up, Funfetti frosting is actually dairy-free. Many Pillsbury frostings are, weirdly enough (including some of the chocolates and cream cheese frosting!), but most box cake mixes except Duncan Hines contain milk, and obviously homemade frosting generally calls for butter/milk.
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed