Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Achievements

Ballet - Achievements
I have "sparkle"! (karma: 1)
By pharmadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3459, member since Tue Mar 16, 2004
On Fri Nov 08, 2013 07:07 AM

Just can't help bragging a little about what happened in class last night, since I never get big compliments about my dancing...

Background: I'm a mid-thirties dancer in class with 16-18 year olds, plus I've been away from dance for a few years, so the kids I am currently dancing with don't know me - hence, I feel a little awkward. My teacher is awesome and so supportive and I've been going to her studio for 7 years now - but she's not one to be overly complimentary.

Last night - she gave us a little lecture before our port-de-bras combination about really performing, even in class. Then she split us into two groups to do the combo. I was in group #2. After my group had completed the combo, she asked group #1 who they were looking at. She said "you were all looking at this one person, so who were your eyes drawn to?"

She meant me! She said that I was the only one doing what she asked us to, and that I have the "sparkle" of giving 100% and really performing. And then she got me to do the combo with group #1, so that group #2 could have the chance to see me... I was blown away by the compliment.

Yay!

I feel proud because even though I know I have relatively good technique (I've been dancing twice as long as most of the kids in the class) - I am also more than twice as old as them, and can't help but be envious of their youth and flexibility and potential. I feel like I've pretty much reached my potential - now I'm just dancing because I enjoy it, but I probably am not going to be growing by leaps and bounds in my abilities.

So getting an unexpected compliment like this makes me feel just awesome.

3 Replies to I have "sparkle"!

re: I have "sparkle"!
By Alassin_Sanemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 266, member since Tue Dec 28, 2010
On Fri Nov 08, 2013 07:50 AM
That's such a nice thing to hear, well done! :)

There is so much more to good dancing than youth and flexibility, and it's lovely that your teacher acknowledged how well you were doing. Karma for you!
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Fri Nov 08, 2013 08:28 AM
Congrats, that's a really nice compliment and well deserved! :)
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Fri Nov 08, 2013 06:02 PM
That's fabulous! Sometimes it's not the tricks but the beauty of the movement that makes the combination.

ReplySendWatch