Forum: Irish / Irish

Why is the frog stretch bad?
By DanceintheTARDIS
On Sat Nov 09, 2013 02:53 AM

I was looking through older posts on the board, and I saw a lot of people talking about how bad using the frog stretch to improve turnout is. I was just wondering why, since I've seen a lot of people recommend it, and my contemporary teacher has the class do it fairly often. Is this something specific to Irish Dance?

6 Replies to Why is the frog stretch bad?

re: Why is the frog stretch bad?
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Nov 09, 2013 05:46 AM
It puts far too much pressure on your knee joints whether you're an Irish, contemporary or ballet dancer. Since there are other hip flexor stretches that don't negatively impact other joints, there's really no reason for anyone to do this stretch regardless of which type of dance you do.
By majahayes
On Sat Nov 09, 2013 07:32 AM
^ What are some examples of stretches to improve turn out without damaging your knees?
re: Why is the frog stretch bad? (karma: 1)
By Sumayah
On Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:33 AM
Do the exact same thing on your back. Heels together toes open side, knees open side, arms by your sides. Now press with the ball of your foot into the floor and press the hips up the ceiling. Heels lift up as well. This opens your hips the same way (while strengthening your glutes) without putting pressure on the knee joint.
By moara
On Sat Nov 09, 2013 03:54 PM
^yup. I call it the dead frog stretch. Just like the frog, but belly-up.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Nov 09, 2013 04:59 PM
Qustion, is it any better to do the yoga frog stretch? www.myyogaonline.com . . . I can go pretty much all the way done in this pose.
By DanceintheTARDIS
On Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:28 PM
Thank you so much for your help, guys! I really appreciate the information (I'm really surprised that it's damaging, considering how many dancers I've seen do it- quite worrying) and the safe stretch! :) (I've switched out the "live" frog stretch with the "dead" frog stretch in my daily stretches:P)

ReplySendWatch