Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Cars & Driving
Information for learner's permit. Help! ASAP!
By theresemarie Comments: 358, member since Tue Feb 03, 2009
On Tue Nov 12, 2013 06:06 PM

I was just wondering what information you need to get a learner's permit. I know you need 2 forms of evidence, SSN card, proof of citizenship, and proof of identity, age, and birthdate.

So, I had my name changed because I was adopted and had a weird biological name. I have been using my new name for ten years, and all my documents have been updated except for my naturalization (citizenship). Since my SSN is updated with my citizenship and new name on it, will that count as proof of citizenship? Do I really need the naturalization updated too? Should I bring the court order name change document in case? I am so stressed and I plan on going to take my learner's permit test tomorrow. Arrrrg!

6 Replies to Information for learner's permit. Help! ASAP!

re: Information for learner's permit. Help! ASAP!
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Tue Nov 12, 2013 06:24 PM
The court order name change document shows that all of the other documents refer to one and the same person, so definitely bring that.

Bring the naturalization paper, but I doubt that you will be required to update it. On the other hand, this might not be the last time in your life that a similar problem could arise. For this reason alone, you might want to update it later on.

The SSN card then would suffice as the second form of evidence.
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Tue Nov 12, 2013 07:32 PM
I would be safe and bring any and all documentation that you have. It will also depend on the state you are in. I'm in Virginia, and I was internationally adopted, and I had to bring a LOT of paperwork with me to get mine.
On Tue Nov 12, 2013 08:09 PM
I have everything packed up. I even have my work contract, high school diploma, and college honor society certificates. I want to be sure that I get my new name on that permit. My new name is my name by law and I will not have any other name on that card.
re: Information for learner's permit. Help! ASAP! (karma: 1)
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Tue Nov 12, 2013 09:34 PM
I'm sure your state website has a link to the local Registry of Motor Vehicles -- And I'm sure your local RMV would have the booklet you'd need for your L.P. test. :)

E.G. for Massachusetts, what you need is the following:
www.massrmv.com . . .

please see this link here for specifics -- I'm sure your state will have something similar:
secure.rmv.state.ma.us . . .

Hope this helps!

Shadow.
On Wed Nov 13, 2013 09:51 AM
I passed my lp test! And I got my new name on the card! Yes!
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:32 AM
Very well done! The Government paperwork can be daunting to us all - particularly when it runs into ambiguities.

I would ease your mind a bit to see courts and professional arbitrators sorting through highly complex data; actually allowing everyone to speak fully; and arriving at the correct decision - a far far better procedure than we had to face in school. Now that you have reached driving age, you can expect to be treated more and more as a valid person.

Please post again when you are free to hit the open road.

ReplySendWatch