Forum: Arts / Debates

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: How early is too early? (Black Friday)
By ballerinatwirler Comments: 2083, member since Sat May 29, 2004
On Wed Nov 13, 2013 08:35 PM
I think it's getting out of head and I'm sure down the road stores will be open all day on Thanksgiving. I worked retail for 5 years and the earliest I had to be there was 4AM.

If stores want to be open on a holiday then the store should offer holiday pay. Plain and simple.

I work at a restaurant that is open 365 days of the year. We are going to stay open 24 hours from Thanksgiving through Black Friday. It's pretty disgusting to me because you are probably going to have take some shift on Thanksgiving. The reason we are staying open is because we are located in the middle of a huge shopping center. My work actually had a good system last year because they made a chart with the 6 holidays and you were required to work 3 and be off 3 so it was nice that we could volunteer.
By Naivohwmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1719, member since Mon Nov 17, 2003
On Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:25 AM
I work at a grocery store, so we are open until 4 pm Thanksgiving Day. I actually volunteered to work, because I get paid double time and a half, and we close early enough that I will still be able to do dinner. The store does open at 5 am Black Friday (vs 7 am usually) but I don't think that's too bad. I'm pretty happy with the way the company I work for does things. We are also closed Christmas Day, which I think is awesome. I feel very sorry for the people that have to work ridiculous Thanksgiving hours. K-Mart is opening at 6 am Thanksgiving Day and staying open 42 hours straight. It's pathetic, and I refuse to support stores doing crap like that. I've read a few articles saying that in the coming years, stores will be seeing less and less profit by pushing opening so early, and eventually they will lose money doing it. I really hope that's true. If people refuse to shop stores would stop the madness, but people are greedy and stupid :(
By dancin_til_death Comments: 4381, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Thu Nov 14, 2013 05:40 AM
MuffinHead wrote:

It is absolutely mandatory. If my store does not open, it's a $500 fine for each hour we are not open. I do not get overtime. Nor any special priviledges. In fact, I will be working at LEAST 7PM on Thanksgiving until at least 8:00AM on Black Friday... with no food break. I'll be darn lucky if I can walk away to pee.

This is illegal in Australia. You work a holiday - you get paid double. Anything less is completely unacceptable. I suggest you get a new job, or find some way to raise it with a union/fair work officer or something.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Thu Nov 14, 2013 06:42 AM
I think Black Friday is ridiculous. I went one time and one time only. People are so greedy and it just disgusts me. So yes, I think it's absolutely insane for stores to be open at 8pm on THURSDAY! Isn't it Black Friday for a reason?

I'll be in my warm living room drinking coffee, decorating my house for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving. :D (and I get to meet a DDNer the next day so I gotta have everything perfect!)
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Thu Nov 14, 2013 08:02 AM
Anything before 5am is unnecessary and ridiculous imo.

My mom and I Black Friday shop every year as just girls bonding time. We never really buy gifts, just stuff for ourselves, and don't even spend that much money. So, we steer clear of the big box stores where people are clamoring over electronics or the toy stores where people will bite someone's arm off for a limited edition Furby.

Going into to Thanksgiving is just plain wrong and I really think stores are shooting themselves in the foot by starting earlier and earlier. There as to be some threshold at which the money spent by opening earlier and staying open will outmatch any extra profits to be gained by doing so. And has anyone noticed that the sales for shoes and clothes (the main/only items I care about on Black Friday) aren't even that great? Like I just remember last year going into Victoria's Secret at 5am and walking out with nothing; I save more money during their semi-annual sale than I would shopping their on Black Friday.

These stores would be better served by keeping reasonable hours and starting their online sales earlier. There would still be people implicated who have to maintain the websites when/if the servers are flooded, but at least regular retail customers wouldn't miss Thanksgiving with their families.

I've worked in retail - never during Black Friday, though - so my sympathies goes out to everyone that has to work this year. Retail was a nightmare to me so I can't even imagine what Black Friday is like on the other end.
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5172, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Thu Nov 14, 2013 06:01 PM
Luckily it's not at ALL my company making it mandatory. They are SUPER accommodating. They're letting me take off a Saturday in December, which is basically unheard of. But Black Friday, it's the mall making the mandatory 8PM Thursday - 10PM Friday hours.

I have worked retail for YEARS, and I've never had a problem with Black Friday. I bring snacks to get me through the long shift, and I've never had a problem.

I am the store manager, so taking the day of is frankly impossible. But again-- it's not the long hours (I'm fine with a 13 hour shift. No biggie.), it's not the lack of actually being able to take a break (even if I could/or end up actually taking a break... I don't want to be ANYWHERE near the food court, and I'm a kiosk, so no break room. I'd rather stay working.), and also-- when you are a retail employee.. you do sign a contract stating that if it gets busy and you are absolutely essential to be sure the store is running/things don't get stolen or broken/etc. that you forego your break. I've been working 9AM-6PM and haven't been "taking a break". I snack during the day, and I can run to the bathroom, leaving the kiosk alone if necessary.

The real debate that I'm trying to get into is the fact that Black FRIDAY is starting on THURSDAY this year.

New job is not possible. I would never leave such an AMAZING company in a lurch like that. It's a very small family owned business, and I love working for them in everyway. I also teach crazy hours-- and I have not found a SINGLE other company willing to work with my hours. I was actively job hunting five days a week for two months before finding this position.

So, let's try to keep it to the true debate. Should Black Friday begin on Thanksgiving?
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Thu Nov 14, 2013 06:29 PM
I think it is absolutely TACKY for stores to detract from what is supposed to be a day dedicated to thanks by turning it into part of a early-shopping feeding-frenzy. I can understand restaurants and supermarkets asking their employees to go the extra mile by staying open on Thanksgiving because for these businesses an important part of their role is helping the general population enjoy Thanksgiving meals. And with so many people joining friends and relatives on Thanksgiving, it's important for gas stations to remain open, too.

But general retail? There's no excuse for opening any earlier than a reasonable hour on Friday morning.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Thu Nov 14, 2013 07:00 PM
Dancing_EMT wrote:

The problem with retail is that most people there don't have a choice.

Yes you do. Either work or get another job. I work retail knowing full well I might have to miss some things. I guess I don't see it as a big deal because both my husband and I were public servants and worked holidays, so it doesn't phase us.

I've worked in retail for the better part of 8 years. When I moved back from college, I applied to endless amounts of jobs for several months. I got exactly one call back. So unless you'd prefer I go on welfare, I (and the many, many like me) had no other options. I worked holidays because I had to. It sucked. Therefore, I feel quite strongly about businesses that insist Black Friday events start in the afternoon on Thanksgiving.

Plenty of people don't mind working holidays. Others do. I managed to find a family-friendly business to work for and we don't participate in Black Friday.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3467, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:56 AM
Kekoa wrote:

Dancing_EMT wrote:

The problem with retail is that most people there don't have a choice.

Yes you do. Either work or get another job. I work retail knowing full well I might have to miss some things. I guess I don't see it as a big deal because both my husband and I were public servants and worked holidays, so it doesn't phase us.

I've worked in retail for the better part of 8 years. When I moved back from college, I applied to endless amounts of jobs for several months. I got exactly one call back. So unless you'd prefer I go on welfare, I (and the many, many like me) had no other options. I worked holidays because I had to. It sucked. Therefore, I feel quite strongly about businesses that insist Black Friday events start in the afternoon on Thanksgiving.

Plenty of people don't mind working holidays. Others do. I managed to find a family-friendly business to work for and we don't participate in Black Friday.

Part of being an adult is doing things you don't want to do. I guess it's a difference in how we were brought up, I was brought up with you do what you have to do to put food on the table and sometimes life sucks, but it's life and life isn't fair. I worked on Christmas day when I worked for Starbucks. I volunteered to for the extra money and to have an excuse for my husband and I to escape his parents on that day. :P

I won't be shopping on Thanksgiving, but also wouldn't care if my store was open on Thanksgiving night. Then again, my company pays holiday pay. Most holidays have lost their meaning because of how commercialized they've become so working holidays doesn't phase me or my husband.

If stores want to be open on a holiday then the store should offer holiday pay. Plain and simple.

This. I never complain about earning extra money. :P Most local businesses will either be closed or offer holiday pay because Chicago is SO unionized. I know the chain stores are open, but I avoid them like the plague because it'll be too crowded. Last year, I did my black Friday shopping online, on Thanksgiving. No crowds and it was delivered to my door. :D
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:38 PM
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2013-11-15 12:39:40
Just because someone has different values to you, doesn't mean there was anything wrong with their upbringing.

I've always thought it would be nice if we had a national holiday in the same veins Thanksgiving, in order to be patriotic and whatnot. There was a call for St George's Day to be an additional bank holiday for that reason, but it never got off the ground for the same reason that they won't make Armistice Day a bank holiday - here a bank holiday means a extra day in the pub, so it wouldn't be about being patriotic or remembering the glorious dead, it'd be about getting pissed.

I don't understand why people would purposefully leave the house a daft o'clock just to buy bargains that they don't need. The only time I would ever get up at 3am would be if the house was on fire or if I was leaving to catch an early flight - either way I'd be bitching and moaning about my sleep being disturbed. Why would you CHOOSE to get up godforsakenly early (and in any places stand inthe freezing cold) just to SHOP?!?! I guess if that's my train of thought then Black Thursday makes more sense as then I could shop when I'd already had a lot of sleep and got up at a reasonable hour, but actually what makes more sense is opening at a reasonable hour on the Friday to begin with. Do people go to these sales just because they think they should, or something? I hate shopping anyway but sale shopping is a nightmare, everything's like a bloody jumble sale.

The only thing Brits have that's comparable is Christmas Day I think. Pubs and shops can open in the morning, but must close by a certain time depending on the outlet and must not reopen until Boxing Day. You might get the odd lock-in at a local boozer, and yes January sales usually start before Christmas if not on Boxing Day, but you can't run out to get an emergency tv or bra at 8pm on Christmas Day - or 5am on Boxing Day for that matter. If you can't get through ONE DAY without going to the shops then you've got some serious organisational issues.
re: How early is too early? (Black Friday) (karma: 2)
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 02:11 PM
Edited by Kekoa (69553) on 2013-11-15 14:19:23
Well personally, my upbringing was that family is a priority and we don't support businesses that keep people apart from their loved ones on federally recognized holidays to get deals that are no better than any other blow out sale, but hey, whatevs. Anyhow, my post was in response to your saying that there's always a choice and if you don't want to work holidays, get another job. For many people (myself included in the past), there are no other job options. You think that's okay, suck it up and make more money. Some of us were raised with different values that don't prioritize consumerism or being a workaholic. Wanting a federally recognized holiday off of work to spend with your family doesn't mean they're ungrateful or a poor worker.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3041, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 02:11 PM
Edited by schuhplattler (172013) on 2013-11-15 14:12:56
^^Louise, you bring to mind a very important point: It is the buyers, not the vendors, who must bring an end to this insanity.

Proposed slogan: Suppose they gave a Black Friday and nobody came.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 04:18 PM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2013-11-15 18:54:15 the last line had to go buh bye
I've got a pretty good deal at my current job. We get Thanksgiving and Black Friday off every year. It should stay Black Friday. Keep it on Friday. Participate or not if you wish.

Amy-we get that you have a husband and hate everything except him and guns.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3467, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 05:34 PM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2013-11-15 18:55:12 removed quoted line that was removed from another post.
PinUpGirl wrote:

I've got a pretty good deal at my current job. We get Thanksgiving and Black Friday off every year. It should stay Black Friday. Keep it on Friday. Participate or not if you wish.

Amy-we get that you have a husband and hate everything except him and guns.

I get it. You don't like what I have to say. You can stop stalking my replies. Though it is pretty funny to see you get worked up. If you don't like it, don't read it?

It's pretty simple. If you don't support stores opening on Thanksgiving, then don't go. If enough people don't go, they'll see they're losing/lost money

If you do have to work on Thanksgiving either accept it or find a new job. I agree you shouldn't have to, but unfortunately, until people care more about the meaning of the holiday, it won't stop. However, stores also have to make money to stay open and pay for their products. TVs don't appear out of thin air. So if Target opens at 5am, Wal-mart will open at 4 to get more customers in the door and take business from Target. Then the next year, Target will open at 4 and so on and so forth. People and stores keep wanting to out do each other. You can't change people and stores want to make money, so what do you suggest they do?

When I was younger, there were a few stores open on Thanksgiving/Christmas, mainly grocery stores and pharmacies. Yes, they were large chains. Why wasn't anyone up in arms then? Why is it all of a sudden an issue when Wal-Mart stays open? They have groceries and a pharmacy as well. Especially since the ones I've seen have all converted to Super Wal-Marts. Even the Zoo is open on Thanksgiving. No one is up in arms about that either. (They're open 365 days a year.) So why is it a huge issue if Wal-Mart is open?
re: How early is too early? (Black Friday) (karma: 1)
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 05:47 PM
I understand and respect that we all have different upbringings and opinions. I don't like to see anyone working on Thanksgiving. If they want to work on that day, then great, but no one should be forced to and that is where a large part of the problem lies. Also, I find it very unsettling to know that on a day when we should be thankful, people are out there trampling each other over material crap. People are not just shopping, they are behaving like rabid animals.

www.freep.com . . .

www.ibtimes.com . . .

Our city is like a ghost town on Thanksgiving and Christmas (aside from the two Chinese restaurants and Family Video being open)....that is until they started this 'black Thursday' madness. Now even the fast food places are opening on Thanksgiving so that the greedy shoppers can have somewhere to eat too, when they should be eating at home or with family.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 06:13 PM
There are all kinds of businesses that stay open on federal holidays, with lots of people being 'forced' to work. Sheesh, some of you make it sound like enslavement.
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3644, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 06:26 PM
^ I think it's because 1. Thanksgiving is an incredibly family-centric holiday, and 2. It's reasonable to have grocery or other "necessity" type stores open, but retail stores are a whole different story.

The outcry here is because of the NATURE of the holiday and the NATURE of the stores that must be open.

I will not be working thanksgiving this year, but if I did I would be pretty upset about it. Just because you are committed to a job doesn't mean you're not allowed to be upset about missing out on a family holiday.
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 06:32 PM
Our city is like a ghost town on Thanksgiving and Christmas (aside from the two Chinese restaurants and Family Video being open)....that is until they started this 'black Thursday' madness. Now even the fast food places are opening on Thanksgiving so that the greedy shoppers can have somewhere to eat too, when they should be eating at home or with family.

Same here. I worked most holidays when I was an EMT and it was a ghost town on the roads. The thing we were mainly on the look out for were drunk drivers. Since we're not in that field anymore, we eat, socialize a little, go home and stay there, so we don't get hit by some irresponsible drunk idiot.

On Thanksgiving we joked that we knew we'd always be able to get something to eat on Thanksgiving at a Chinese place. :P I worked night shift and we'd always drive by the stores and see how many people lined up.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 06:52 PM
It's not the fact that Walmart is open...it is the fact that all Walmarts are open for almost 48 hours and their employees can't ask for the time off. They didn't know this change to their schedule until fairly recently, so you might have been hired before they made the change to stay open the entire time.

Of course some places are going to be open. When I worked for a large hotel chain we were open, but it is also a National Holiday and one that is generally centered around family. If family isn't important to you...then so be it, but it IS very important to some people, and sometimes that is the only holiday a family will be together because they have to go away to their spouse's family for Christmas. So I don't think, "Suck it up buttercup" is really the best response when we are trying to have a dialogue in this community.
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 07:10 PM
It's not the fact that Walmart is open...it is the fact that all Walmarts are open for almost 48 hours and their employees can't ask for the time off. They didn't know this change to their schedule until fairly recently, so you might have been hired before they made the change to stay open the entire time.

True, but most jobs (that I've worked anyway) have "black out dates" that you can't ask off for. At the ambulance company I worked for, you could ask off for Christmas, but had to do it like a year in advance because only 3 people could be approved to be off on the same day. It's the same way at my job now, which is retail. It's not fair for others to be off on every holiday (if you're open) and others unable to get off. How my husband and I's current job (we work for the same company now) does it is that you can get ONE week of a holiday week off. So you have to choose. I think that's a good way to do it, especially since people do have families scattered everywhere nowadays.

I also think that the approach of "no one is off or everyone is off" is also fair. We haven't even seen my family since we got married. (Not really by choice either.) We wanted to go this year, but travel/pet boarding is expensive, plus we have a mortgage and other adult responsibilities to pay for.

How does everyone else's company do time off around the holidays? I'm pretty curious now.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8689, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 07:24 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-11-15 19:27:55
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-11-15 19:29:06
I know this sounds a bit weird, but is there a reason why people can't do Thanksgiving on the Wednesday before or just another day in general? Are you forced to work the day before Thanksgiving too?
I have "fake" holidays and even birthdays on other days because it doesn't always work with my schedule. If people are already travelling for Thanksgiving, is having a Wednesday night thanksgiving dinner totally out of the question? Most schools are out for the week of Thanksgiving, and a lot of people take the whole wwek off work to travel.

I feel that retailers should grant EVERYONE one paid day off. That way, even if they miss the actual Holiday, they might be able to take a regular day off in order to spend time with their spouse or family.

I also value family time, and I do feel for the people who are forced to work on the Holiday. I am guessing if everyone was able to take one 'sick day' off, maybe they can have the Holiday on another day?
Not trying to cast blame here, but I am curious as to why it HAS to be on Thanksgiving day and why people can't have dinner on another day or after work or something? Maybe a Thanksgiving breakfast?
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 09:34 PM
The problem with expecting people to celebrate Thanksgiving a day early is that a majority of adults (outside the retail world, at least) work that day and have Thanksgiving day off. If I told my extended family that we'd be celebrating a day early, after they'd been working all day, they'd laugh. That's sort of the whole idea of having an official, federally recognized holiday...uniformity.

As for how my business handles it, we choose not to participate in any Black Friday craziness because we're a small business that emphasizes family. We're closed Thanksgiving day. The day before and the day after, we operate on a smaller staff of people who live nearby. About half our staff has family in town, so they stay. The other half of us are allowed those days off.

As for my other job (and future career), academia is very generous with holidays and just closes for a few days. Everyone wins.

And again, most of us have NO problem with Black Friday. I don't participate, but I don't think there's anything wrong with expecting all hands to be on deck that day, bright and early. The whole argument is that it is super crummy to keep pushing it back to the point where people can't celebrate Thanksgiving. It's a huge priority for a LOT of people, because for many of us, it's one of the two times a year we get to see family.
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:16 PM
Part of the problem is the lack of advance notice. My husband recently got a new job, but before that, he worked in retail for several years, at one of the stores that is opening at 6:00 PM on Thanksgiving this year. We would not have been expecting that, and if he were still working there, he probably would not have found out that he would be working on Thanksgiving until a few weeks beforehand. By that time, it's extremely difficult for a lot of people to request off of work so that they can have an alternate Thanksgiving celebration. Not to mention that my husband used to work nights and weekends, while the rest of my family works weekdays during the day, and getting approved for time off between Thanksgiving and Christmas when he worked there was pretty much a joke. So we might have been able to celebrate Thanksgiving sometime in December, but by then you might as well just skip it and wait for Christmas. I understand that there are other professions in which working holidays is the norm, but it's exactly that - the NORM. Not something that gets sprung on you at the last minute.

Needless to say, we will not be supporting this practice. We won't shop on Thanksgiving and most likely will not do any Black Friday shopping this year at all. It used to be kind of fun, but now that all of the stores are opening at different times, it's too hard to keep track of who's doing what, and a lot of the doorbusters are crap because the stores know people will buy it anyway, if it's cheap enough.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:51 PM
As for why not celebrate Thanksgiving on a different day...as others have mentioned, most people have to work the day before Thanksgiving so getting an entire turkey dinner going when you start @ 6:00 would be crazy. Part of our holiday tradition is sitting around watching football games that are on that day and we'd stay up late and have turkey omelets the next morning with monkey bread for brunch. I wouldn't have wanted to change that!

We have our son on Wednesday before Thanksgiving and do our dinner that night, but I have to take off from work and miss out on $200, but that way he doesn't have to go between 2 houses on Thanksgiving and eat twice etc. He doesn't love turkey anyway, so we usually have something Italian on Wednesday. This year we're having lasagna, last year was baked ziti, and the year before was chicken marsala.

I used to work for a hotel reservation center and it was staffed 24 hours a day 365 days a year. I always volunteered for the overnight shift when I was in college because we got double pay, and the people I worked with in group sales were always conscious of working around each other's family plans. Those who ate early worked late and vice versa, or those with families and kids picked having Christmas or Thanksgiving off. We were a smaller part of the company so it usually worked out.
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5172, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Sat Nov 16, 2013 02:13 PM
In the past the mall was closed three days out of the entire year. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. So, yes-- we are open the day before Thanksgiving.

Let me be honest here, I'm not missing out on my family's Thanksgiving celebration. We have it early in the afternoon-- around 12:00/1:00. That's not truly my complaint.

My complaint is there is a holiday... that is non-religious, that is specifically about giving thanks for what we already have. And now retailers (I'm not talking Wal-Mart, grocery stores, or anything else where there would be a reason you need to go there on a holiday. I worked at a grocery store in high school and we were open all of those days in the morning), are missing the point of the holiday entirely.

I wouldn't mind working on Christmas, because that makes more sense to me. Last minute gifts. Sure. I wouldn't mind working Easter either-- as I'm not religious. My family celebrates with a large meal, and I do it for the ham and mashed potatoes.

I mind working at a jewelry store on Thanksgiving because the point of the holiday is being entirely lost to consumerism. If I was a doctor, EMT, or other necessary worker-- I would even volunteer to work on Thanksgiving so people who have children/grandchildren/visiting relatives could see them. My celebration is with my aunt and uncle who live next door, and their kids and grandkids, along with my parents. I see them all the time. No big deal.

It's the loss of what the holiday means that is truly bothering me.
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch