Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Mondays with Merce
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 08:19 AM

It's no secret that Merce Cunningham is my favorite modern dancer/choreographer/awesome person. He's just the right of amount of perfection combined with making no sense whatsoever.

I recently discovered Mondays with Merce. It's a sixteen episode series where they take footage that had previously been recorded of Merce. And each week they explore a new topic. There are quite a few videos that show classes, techniques, but most of all- lots of interviews with the man himself.

Has anyone watched Mondays with Merce? What is your favorite episode?

6 Replies to Mondays with Merce

re: Mondays with Merce
By hummingbird
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 08:27 AM
Me, me, me, I love all of them really but I do like the one with Holley Farmer in it, that solo is just amazing.
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 08:38 AM
How could I have guessed that you'd be the first to post on here. I was expecting either you or panic, to be honest. ;)

I love the first one that goes over all the technique. It's been so long since I took a Cunningham class, I was reminded of so many things that I could adapt to my classes.
By shmcdona
On Sat Nov 16, 2013 09:54 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!!

I will be watching these to reacquaint myself with Cunningham. No one around me teaches a pure (anything) modern class. Its all a mishmash. This will be great for a refresher course on my favourite modern technique.
By hummingbird
On Fri Nov 22, 2013 08:05 AM
MuffinHead wrote:

How could I have guessed that you'd be the first to post on here. I was expecting either you or panic, to be honest. ;)

/Blush

Do you have the set of Cunningham DVD's? He did an elementary and inter class DVD back in the 1980's so he was demonstrating in them too. You used to be able to buy them off the web site, but I can't even see the shop there any more.
On Fri Nov 22, 2013 09:42 AM
Oh my gosh... no, I don't have those!

I'll have to look around and see if I can get my hands on a copy. Those would be so useful!
By dancedance27
On Wed Dec 04, 2013 02:52 PM
Oh, cool. How interesting :). Could you feel me more?

ReplySendWatch