Forum: Arts / Movies & TV

Movies & TV
The Hunger Games; Catching Fire
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5172, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 09:36 AM

Who's excited for the release of Catching Fire?

I think the casting is great! Jenna Malone as Johanna is going to be fantastic. I think she has just the right amount of sheer sass to get her through the role. Also-- the guy playing Finnick... *dreamy*.

14 Replies to The Hunger Games; Catching Fire

re: The Hunger Games; Catching Fire
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 09:43 AM
I am ecstatic. My husband was made very much aware that all Hunger Games movies WILL be attended the weekend of their release. I must say, after the first one, he's cool with that.

As usual, I'm currently in the dilemma of whether or not to reread before the movie. I think I loaned them all to my Mom though, in another state. Boo.
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5172, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 09:46 AM
I just reread the entire series. It had been so long since I had actually read the books, that I felt like I needed a refresher.

I was impressed with how well they portrayed the first book-- there were only two glaring omissions, really. Madge Undersee, which I feel like they could have easily kept in. And also the loss of Peeta's leg, which I supposed they changed to keep the tone a bit lighter than the book.

I'm excited to see how they adapt Catching Fire.
By Naivohwmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1719, member since Mon Nov 17, 2003
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 02:32 PM
I'm really excited! Although I try not to put much stock in critics either way, all of the early reviews coming in are so good, which makes me look forward to it even more! I actually haven't read the books in over a year, and unfortunately I don't have the books. And of course the library is completely checked out this close to the movie. Oh well, I remember the big stuff, anyways.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 05:43 PM
ZOMG.....I can't wait. I just bought some pins to put on my vest at work. I'm not sure when we'll go see it, it depends on our work schedules. I wonder why it's not coming out in 3D? We do plan on seeing it in IMAX though. :)
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:10 PM
SO excited. Roomie and I are much too introverted to deal with hundreds of teenagers at the midnight premiere, so we'll be going to the earliest showing next Friday. I can't wait! One of the best book series ever. I was really impressed with the first movie. Films are never as good as the book, but Hunger Games was definitely a Harry Potter, not a Twilight and I expect the second to follow suit ;)
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:37 PM
Kekoa wrote:

SO excited. Roomie and I are much too introverted to deal with hundreds of teenagers at the midnight premiere, so we'll be going to the earliest showing next Friday. I can't wait! One of the best book series ever. I was really impressed with the first movie. Films are never as good as the book, but Hunger Games was definitely a Harry Potter, not a Twilight and I expect the second to follow suit ;)

After I saw the first movie, I went out and bought the books. I definitely like the special effects. They've come a long way since I was younger.

We're actually looking at moving to the area North Carolina where a lot of the first movie was taped. I'd be stoked if we did. (I'd see a photo shoot with my bow in the future. Lol)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Sat Nov 16, 2013 04:23 AM
Loved the first two books (third was meh). The first movie was serviceable. Not great. Not terrible. So I can't decide whether I'm excited about the next one or not.
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Sat Nov 16, 2013 05:49 AM
Very excited! I have connections with the owner of our local theatre and I'm going to ask if I can come in and watch during their pre-screening of the film. They pre-screen every film a few days before to make sure there are no bugs or anything.
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 08:32 PM
We saw it tonight. LOVED IT! Aside from us, there were like 10 others in the theater. Not crowded. :) No screaming kids. Even better! :D

They stayed more true to the books in this one which made me happy.

The special effects were very impressive.

Still disappointed they didn't shoot it in 3D.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 09:13 PM
Loved it. The second was my favorite book, so I was nervous. Finnick was so perfectly cast. I was impressed with Liam Hemsworth's acting chops. I'm really excited to see them both play bigger roles in the next two films. Jennifer Lawerence was flawless as always.

Jena Malone was wonderful. The whole scene in the capitol with the victors on stage was wonderful.

I saw it opening day. We got there early, but it was still pretty crowded. It was a lot of fun. When Joanna did her interview, everyone cheered :P
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Tue Nov 26, 2013 05:50 AM
^The audience I was with cheered for that too! They were a very appreciative group - They broke into applause probably 3 or 4 times total. :) Even funnier is that they were completely silent other than the random applause, even though it was a packed theater.

I thought it was great. I didn't want it to end. :) I also couldn't remember where it ended, LOL. I haven't read the books in a year or so, and both times I read them, I read them all back to back, so I really wasn't sure where this one ended and the next one started. I was definitely not ready for it to end where it did.

The special effects were top notch, the acting was great, and overall I liked it a lot better than the first one. Can't wait for Mockingjay! Which will apparently be split into two movies. And even though I know it's primarily just to make more money, I'm totally fine with that, because I love this series!
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Tue Nov 26, 2013 07:41 AM
Wow again panic and I agree on something. The first movie I found to be meh.

I think I will watch the second from the comfort of my bed.
re: The Hunger Games; Catching Fire (karma: 1)
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Tue Nov 26, 2013 08:21 AM
Catching Fire as a movie was great. I can't say that I enjoyed it per se, just because it's the kind of movie that doesn't even have a silver lining (even less so in the book) in terms of something to cling to.

Now they just need to end the movies here like they should have with the books. Mockingjay was terrible.

Those of you who've seen the movie (or even if you haven't, there's no spoilers really except some cuts of scenes) need to watch this. I've seen it 5 times and I crack up every time:

By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Tue Nov 26, 2013 08:23 AM

I LOVED IT. Thought it was actually better than the first one. I never re-read the books before I see the movie because I like the movie to be a bit of a surprise, and although I knew the basic plot I didn't remember how exactly it got from point A to point B. It was great. The casting was impeccable--loved Jena Malone and Jeffrey Wright. Stanley Tucci is still so toothy and enthusiastic and makes me laugh every second he's on screen. And Jennifer Lawrence--wow. Wow. She is a force of nature on screen. I can't think of any other young actress that's active these days that can do hurt, screaming, out-of-her-mind panicked, like she can. Wow.

I can't stop saying "wow". Maybe I am Doge.

ReplySendWatch