Forum: Ballet / Ballet Choreography

Ballet Choreography
Ultimate Nutcracker Thread!
By emdance24 Comments: 116, member since Mon Oct 28, 2013
On Sat Nov 16, 2013 06:24 AM

I love "The Nutcracker" and it is that time of year! So I decided to make an ultimate nutcracker thread. Here is a fun survey about this years nutcracker:

What part did you get: Arabian, Mouse, and Polichinelle.
Whats your favorite out of them: Polichinelle! In ours a select few get to do advanced tumbling and in the audition I got Polichinelle tumbler!
What part did you want the most that you got: I wanted arabian the most but it actually didn't turn out to be my favorite.
What part did you want the most that you didn't get: I really wanted Clara until I saw that at ours you don't get to do as much as I thought, and also they usually want girls that appear to be about 12 (and I am 12 so I was pretty confident going into this audition hehe), but this time they wanted girls that looked 9 and while most people don't think I'm 12 (they think I look younger), I definetly don't look 9. I wanted the doll and still do, but I have to wait a few years for Columbine because they usually choose the older girls.
Are you happy with the casting of the parts that you got or parts that you wanted: Yes, but I wish they would have told us before the Clara audition that they wanted a very little girl this year, because they didn't tell us that they wanted that until a few days after casting was posted, and by then I had already cried and lowered my confidence a lot haha.
How many performances do you have: 2
When was your last rehearsal: Yesterday, a mass rehearsal from 6:45 to 8:45
When is your next rehearsal: Tomorrow from 11:00 to 5:30.
Do you like all of the rehearsals: Yes! I love seeing all of the acts.
Are you excited or nervous: Both, but mostly excited!

You can also discuss any kind of nutcracker related topics or ask questions about it :)
All of the other Nutcracker threads are old as far as I know, and this magnificent ballet deserves its own topic!

2 Replies to Ultimate Nutcracker Thread!

re: Ultimate Nutcracker Thread!
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:49 AM
I get ALL the parts, LOL. But I play violin in the pit orchestra. We get two rehearsals for the whole ballet. We only have one very small cut, written as scene change music we don't need. The first rehearsal (orchestra only) is Dec 1. We will have another one the week following. Almost everybody in the orchestra has played this before.

We will have a fully staged dress rehearsal (with some audience)on Fri Dec 20 and then three performances. I've already played it over 50 times I almost know the music from memory. I enjoy playing it. I know my music well enough I can catch some of the dancing action out of the corner of my eye. It's fun seeing some of the girls (mostly, of course) grow from sheep and mice to soldiers to Clara in some cases and then to snowflakes and flowers and soloists in the Act II scenes, some kids in the company have gone on to college and return as soloists (Cavalier, Nutcracker, Sugar Plum Fairy etc.)

Jon
re: Ultimate Nutcracker Thread!
By DanceHeart99member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 200, member since Mon Nov 21, 2011
On Tue Nov 26, 2013 04:56 PM
What part did you get: Louise, Bear, Mouse, Snowflake, Mother Ginger, Flower, Spanish, and still waiting to hear if I'm a Bon Bon
Whats your favorite out of them: If I get Bon Bons, then that, but if not, Spanish or Snowflake
What part did you want the most that you didn't get: If I don't get to be a Bon Bon I would be pretty disappointed
Are you happy with the casting of the parts that you got or parts that you wanted: Very much, this is kind of a jackpot year with parts, because my studio is a little low on dancers
How many performances do you have: 3. Sadly not 4 like it is most years
When was your last rehearsal: Sunday
When is your next rehearsal: Today 6-8:30
Do you like all of the rehearsals: Yes! most of the time, but on Saturdays it gets a little too long (6+ hours)
Are you excited or nervous: Mostly Excited, but nervous about the acting parts

ReplySendWatch