Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Jazz - Beginners
Quick beginner tips please?
By gbyabdancer Comments: 18, member since Tue May 21, 2013
On Sat Nov 16, 2013 05:39 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2013-11-16 17:44:38 fixed your autocorrect? I think?

So I two days I am joining my high schools dance team as a freshman (15 years old) and they dance mostly jazz and hiphop. I have been taking ballet all my life, but never either of those styles. I'm really nervous I won' t be prepared for the different styles so.... any quick tips I can use?
Thanks!

5 Replies to Quick beginner tips please?

re: Quick beginner tips please?
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Nov 17, 2013 08:32 AM
Just remember jazz is strong! Stretch your arms and make your movements powerful, ballet is a good basis for jazz because the techniques are similar, the steps will make sense, jazz dancers stole a lot of ballet steps when they created their technique :)

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5172, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Sun Nov 17, 2013 09:02 AM
Follow through with your movements... similar to ballet.

I hate when I choreograph an arm movement and it looks like they hit a wall when they reach what they think is the apex of the movement. Keep it moving past your fingertips or feet.

Like an arabesque-- we've all heard, pretend you have LOOOO NG fingernails and dance through those too!
On Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:01 PM
Thank you guys so much! Really made me less nervous :)
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5172, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:12 PM
I assume you had your first practice... how did it go?

I would also suggest bringing a notebook to class with you. Since it's a style you're not really familiar with, you may get a lot of corrections. Write them down!

And write down corrections given to other students as well. Sometimes I correct one person on something, when I really should be correcting three or four of them. So listen to everything your instructor has to say regarding technique!
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 01:54 PM
It was surprisingly great! I felt like I kept up with the other girls, and the coach even complimented me on my strong arms, so thanks a ton!!!!😘

ReplySendWatch