Forum: Cheer / Cheerleading

Aerials
By LifetimeDancer
On Sun Nov 17, 2013 08:03 PM

Does anyone have any tips on teaching aerials? I have some of my own but I want to see what others are doing.

7 Replies to Aerials

re: Aerials
By lovin_to_dance
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:34 AM
I have them start by doing a cartwheel, then pulling their hands off of the floor, mid flip. Most have the power, just not the confidence. I will use a spotting belt, with most, since I am small.
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:16 PM
I personally like having them work up to actually doing the aerial.

First off, get them to do a good cartwheel. Then work on one handed cartwheels. THEN work on pulling their hands up mid flip.
By lovin_to_dance
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:31 PM
That is how I do it, too. They must work up gradually, but that is the last step before no hands. :D
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:45 PM
Ah, that makes more sense!

Sadly, I was picturing, "Oh, you just managed a cartwheel? Great, do it with no hands."
By lovin_to_dance
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 09:23 PM
Hahaha, of course, and then, oh, you can do a back roll? Let's go right to back handspring! LOL LOL

;)
By CheerDancer83
On Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:53 PM
Ive ALWAYS wanted to be able to do an Aerial. I just cant figure out how to get the power to pick up my hands...! It seems so much of my weight is on my hands during the cartwheel that I dont know how to go about pulling them off the ground. I'm gonna try the one handed thing tho...! See if that helps! :)
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sun Dec 01, 2013 05:46 PM
Ultimately, when you're working towards an aerial, you have to drive more power into your legs, so that your momentum keeps you up until your leading foot can drive down to the floor. If you feel weight on your hands it's probably because there's still weight on your hands. Work on driving your feet faster, which can feel very different because the rhythm changes. Be open to it feeling a little different. :)

ReplySendWatch