Forum: Irish / Irish

Heavy shoes in hand luggage?
By irishsaoirsemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:33 AM

I will fly home next month and as I am not going to any Irish dance classes (and dont think it will change during the next year as its simply too far away) I am thinking about taking the shoes home . Can I take heavies in Hand luggage? ( you know, they have hard tips and heels, not that at security check someone tells me I have to throw them away cos they may be eventually "dangerous" - like I could knock somoene down with them or so ;) ) I wont have any other luggage (big suitcase that goes "down), only hand luggage, thats why I ask. I am not keen on shipping them home by post as I'm afraid it can go lost on the way.

13 Replies to Heavy shoes in hand luggage?

re: Heavy shoes in hand luggage?
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:36 AM
I imagine every Irish dancer that's every got on a plane to a feis ever has carried them in their hand luggage :)
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:43 AM
I'd call the airline to be safe...I don't think I'd try it personally, I do consider them a weapon (LOL!) but besides being out a huge chunk of cash if you have to get rid of them, there's the hassle or ordering new ones and breaking them in. If you call let us know what you find out!
By Tansey
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:46 AM
We always took my daughter's heavy and light shoes in hand luggage; checking them seemed to risky when flying to a major. I don't think you'll have any problem. We never did in flights in the US or to/from Ireland and the UK.
By SamCartermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:25 AM
I have never had any issues with my hardshoes in my carryon luggage. They have never even been questioned. They are shoes.

They are more concerned about sharp objects than blunt objects. If they confiscate everything that could knock someone out, then you'd never be able to bring a hardcover book on a plane!

I would never risk putting them in a checked bag - especially when en route to a competition!
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:36 AM
I too, have always taken my shoes with me in my carry on luggage. I'd be too scared to leave them with anyone else!

I've never once had any issues with the airline. :)
By Shamrocker80591
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:41 AM
I fly all the time and always have my heavies in my hand luggage. Out of the probably hundred times I've flown, I've only had the TSA ask me once to take the shoes out on their own for separate inspection. It caught me off guard at the time since I had never been asked about them, but it hasn't happened since and once they realized they were just dance shoes it was fine.
By danseire
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:05 PM
My daughter always uses carry-on luggage for her competition items. Costume, wig, socks, shoes all are in carry-on luggage. In 15 years we have never had a problem with this.

On 1 occasion long ago my daughter was asked to open the dress bag (not the shoe bag). I really think the security person just wanted to see her dress - it was slow and no one was in line. She commented "beautiful" and asked a few questions about Irish Dancing.

Over the years I think we have traveled with most carriers in the US, never a problem, even about the size of the dress bag. Hope this helps.
By califeisgirl
On Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:22 PM
I've had more problems with the pole in my dressbag ( and the occasional roll of duct tape I've forgotten in there) and my wig (just because it looks weird on the scanner I guess) than I ever had for my hard shoes.
By lightfoot_champmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 19, 2013 01:13 PM
Whenever I fly to any competitions I always take both pairs of my shoes with me in my hand luggage, I occasionally get asked what they are for, but have never had any problems with it yet I have done it at least 12 times with different airlines
By Lazza13
On Wed Nov 20, 2013 07:52 AM
I take everything I need on a feis day as hand luggage including my shoes - the only things that go in the main suitcase is make-up, tan and duct tape and I have never been stopped for it :) my wig didnt show up on their scanner once but otherwise they are happy with it

We have more issues with my brothers wheelchair than my dance kit! We take most of it appart and take what we can of it on with us as we are never confident it will arrive at the other end!
By Cinnawiz
On Wed Nov 20, 2013 09:22 AM
I do it all the time when I fly to a feis. Never, ever had a problem with it.

Everything that I need to compete is hand luggage. I don't trust the airlines to deliver my luggage!! I've had them lose it several times. :O
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:41 AM
Edited by Crazy_Claire (120567) on 2013-11-20 10:42:19
Haven't had any problems with taking heavy shoes. I always take everything I need for competition in hand luggage with me including make-up.

The only time we were stopped was because we accidentally left a pair of scissors (for cutting the duct tape with)in the hand luggage. They ended up being confiscated. We also got stopped about the amount of tape we had once. I use tape to keep my heavy shoes on my feet and when they asked about it my Mom said "They're to keep her shoes on!" like it was what everyone did and like it was totally normal. Quite funny. The tape wasn't illegal or banned though so we were alright with it.

For me it's just piece of mind. You have all your competition stuff there, so if they lose the checked in baggage then at least you have the gear you need to compete in.

Claire.
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 20, 2013 05:46 PM
Haven't flown or even travelled for a competition, but I just thought I would ad that I've brought steel toed work boots in carry on luggage without a problem. If any shoes could be considered a weapon, it'd be steel toed boots.

ReplySendWatch