Forum: Highland / Highland - Teachers Only

Highland - Teachers Only
Scottish themed action songs?
By ScottishLilt Comments: 46, member since Tue Oct 01, 2013
On Tue Nov 19, 2013 06:07 PM

Hi teachers!

I'm trying to find some action songs for my 3-4 year old class (which is basically creative movement with some Highland dance elements thrown in), specifically Scottish/Celtic themed songs. Basically, any song that kids that young can follow along and dance along with the words, OR that have lyrics I could use to create easy movements.

So far, all I've found is "Katie Beardie" which has animals doing different actions, but its not quite what I'm looking for. Does anyone else know of or use these kinds of songs?

Thanks!

5 Replies to Scottish themed action songs?

re: Scottish themed action songs?
By LingScot Comments: 1036, member since Sat Apr 09, 2005
On Tue Nov 19, 2013 07:14 PM
Do you know the "Hop Scotch Polka"? You can make up other moves, of course, but here's a sample:

www.youtube.com . . .

The Singing Kettle might also be good --
www.youtube.com . . .
www.youtube.com . . .
By ScottishLilt Comments: 46, member since Tue Oct 01, 2013
On Tue Nov 19, 2013 08:04 PM
Thanks for the reply! I forgot to mention that I'm already doing the Hop Scotch Polka with my 5-6 year old class, but those links are definitely helpful for ideas to do with them :)
By Dancemom44 Comments: 492, member since Thu Oct 11, 2007
On Wed Nov 20, 2013 08:56 AM
You might find something suitable on Bonnie Rideaut's CD titled "Gi'me Elbow Room". It is a CD of Scottish theme songs for kids. Available on Amazon.
By highlandnorth Comments: 486, member since Sat Mar 21, 2009
On Wed Nov 20, 2013 01:06 PM
Edited by highlandnorth (209259) on 2013-11-20 13:13:01
I'm not sure this is exactly what you are looking for, but Twinkletrax has a number of Celtic nursery rhymes that have great rhythm and a nice beat which might be fun for little dancers.
www.kidssongsmp3.twinkletrax.com . . .
By TartanShake Comments: 2, member since Sat Dec 21, 2013
On Sat Dec 21, 2013 06:32 PM
Ooh that HopScotch polka is adorable.
Just for general information, there's an awesome group called Highlander. Their music is perfect for adult/teenage dancers in choreographed performances.

Also, it's not Scottish - however perhaps you can find some Irish Tin Whistle music, which has that Celtic feel, and sound light/cute/happy for kids :)

ReplySendWatch