Forum: Ballet / Ballet Photos - Misc

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

Ballet Photos - Misc
Males doing Pointe
By ex_gang_girl Comments: 418, member since Sun Jan 17, 2010
On Thu Nov 21, 2013 05:31 AM

I came across this picture of a male doing Pointe recently doing an internet search. I found it quite interesting.

28 Replies to Males doing Pointe

re: Males doing Pointe (karma: 3)
By lift Comments: 105, member since Tue Nov 04, 2008
On Thu Nov 21, 2013 06:30 AM
Edited by lift (203879) on 2013-11-21 06:59:19 must consider the LBGT community - sorry
i find the image it interesting by its ability to stimulate a reaction, it makes my eyes bleed

I would not call this 'a person doing pointe'

I would title this 'watch and see a person blow out their knees attempting a plie using the towel rack in the bathroom as a barre'

then flag it as NSFW on reddit

re: Males doing Pointe
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Thu Nov 21, 2013 07:27 AM
I agree, the shoes are completely unused.
By ex_gang_girl Comments: 418, member since Sun Jan 17, 2010
On Thu Nov 21, 2013 07:55 AM
I apologize to anyone offended by this posting. I want it removed.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:56 AM
I'm not offend.

There is a community of guys who like to dress up in ballet clothing. Reasons I think that's what we're seeing here:
1. The tile floor. Not a bathroom, probably a kitchen or something.
2. The barre looks real, not a towel rack. He probably got it installed.
3. The "picture perfect" leotard and tights, and lack of wear on the shoes.
4. The smooth profile, obtained through tucking.
5. The poor plie technique
6. The completely closed window shades. He probably does this stuff in secret, then posts pictures of himself online.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:16 PM
To be fair, I've seen pictures of girls doing the exact same thing with the exact same flaws.

Perhaps he is legitimately taking ballet classes and just has a teacher like those girls I've been seeing all over Tumblr or in real life with poor technique from a result of poor teaching.

Just saying, not all of it has to be a fetish thing. I guess what makes it seem like it is is because of the poor technique, but after having a very active social profile on Tumblr and seeing the kinds of posts made - it's mainly those with poor technique who post pictures up online more so than those who have very good technique. In fact, the one with good technique may only post one or two pictures and talk about how much they need to improve whereas the ones with poorer technique attempt to show off. I think I only uploaded a picture of myself once or twice, but always cutting off my face and only using it as a pointe shoe advice guide or technique guide. At first I thought it was only me, but I think us with better technique feel we don't really need to show the internet world what we can do as instead we internalise our success. That explanation makes sense for me because that's just how I've been disciplined in ballet. Don't know about others, but I've noticed a trend.
On Fri Nov 22, 2013 08:03 AM
I agree, dancing is much more fun than talking about it or sharing pictures of myself dancing. Also... when you dance, your flaws last only an instant, and then are gone. When you have a picture, the flaws are frozen forever. I learned to be very careful with images of myself.
By Old_Ballet_Dude Comments: 555, member since Tue Mar 13, 2007
On Fri Nov 22, 2013 05:20 PM
I think it's pretty obvious this guy is not a ballet dancer, or ballerina. No dancer would workout on a tile floor and his choice of pink tights instead of the more (for males) traditional white, grey or black tights is another clue. But I don't see anything that disturbing about it. There is a world famous group of male dancers who dress like ballerinas and make a good living doing it (The Trocks). If this is what he enjoys doing, so be it. I guess the big question is does it belong on Dance.Net?
By brubie Comments: 486, member since Wed Aug 12, 2009
On Sat Nov 23, 2013 08:17 AM
I agree with Old ballet dude, this photo doesn't belong on dancenet. Some men do do pointe, that isn't the problem, the photo is a bit insulting to folks who take it seriously. There is a place for the this photo, just not here.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:23 AM
Well, legit or not, I don't think anyone should get on his case re technique as it is quite apparent that he is taking it seriously. If he is a beginner I would say his technique is quite good. Obviously there are things to fix but that is true for pretty much everyone.
On Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:38 AM
I don't think it (or other similar postings) should be banned. Would some be upset if this guy were doing the very same thing if he were not wearing pink tights? I would not call it obscene or even upsetting, it's just unusual and I feel that banning such an image is kind of an insult to the guy who may indeed be a ballet dancer who just chooses to dress differently. Are we going to dismiss his efforts based solely on the color of his tights?
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Nov 23, 2013 03:07 PM
Nobody seems to be really that worried about this picture, despite the shouting here that it should be removed there have been no Mod reports asking for it to be deleted.

Over my years as a dancer I've known quite a few guys do pointe work, none of them ever did it in pink tights and a hitched up leotard or on a tiled floor. I used to do all of the guys classes I could at the college I was at and I never did them wearing guys clothes, I always wore my own.

I've always been advocate for each sex learning the others techniques, if you do this you gain way more respect for their work and your dancing is going to be stronger and more rounded as a result.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Sat Nov 23, 2013 05:00 PM
Old_Ballet_Dude wrote:

I think it's pretty obvious this guy is not a ballet dancer, or ballerina. No dancer would workout on a tile floor and his choice of pink tights instead of the more (for males) traditional white, grey or black tights is another clue. But I don't see anything that disturbing about it. There is a world famous group of male dancers who dress like ballerinas and make a good living doing it (The Trocks). If this is what he enjoys doing, so be it. I guess the big question is does it belong on Dance.Net?

Old_Ballet_Dude wrote:

I don't think it (or other similar postings) should be banned. Would some be upset if this guy were doing the very same thing if he were not wearing pink tights? I would not call it obscene or even upsetting, it's just unusual and I feel that banning such an image is kind of an insult to the guy who may indeed be a ballet dancer who just chooses to dress differently. Are we going to dismiss his efforts based solely on the color of his tights?

I sort of feel like I am in the Twilight Zone here and you are arguing with yourself. You are the only one who brought up the color of this man's tights. So I don't know if you were trying to be philosophical or something by asking "Are we going to dismiss his efforts based solely on the color of his tights?" because no one was doing that. Others were saying that his technique and general attire lead us to believe that he is not a serious ballet dancer and could be taking these kinds of photos of himself for some less than savory reasons. You are also the first person who said that possibly the picture should not be on DDN, and only one person has slightly agreed with that. So why are you now implying that others would like to see this sort of picture banned? You brought it up, and like hummingbird said, no one has even mod reported it. The comparison to The Trocks is sort of weird as well, since they are basically a dance comedy routine. This man in the photo seems to be pretty serious about what he is wearing, no sense of mocking there.

I find the picture bizarre (clearly this man is uneducated in dance, so why the photo?) and really serves no purpose whatsoever. It is not like it is inspiring or something. But I am not calling for it to be removed or start some sort of uprising. Just walk away slowly...
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sat Nov 23, 2013 05:08 PM
I'm pretty sure this guy has had ballet training. Look at the way he carries his arms in second and also look at his right hand. He is pushing his middle finger in to meet the thumb,which tells me he probably learned proper hand form.

His face/neck position also points to the fact that he had training.

To be fair, try to have someone take a picture of you in plié. I bet it won't look very good because it is such an awkward position to take a picture of.
He probably does take classes, although he is a beginner.
On Sun Nov 24, 2013 02:08 AM
Old_Ballet_Dude wrote:

I guess the big question is does it belong on Dance.Net?

Yes it does. Because some people may be gender queer or not believe in the concept of gender at all. Sure, the technique is off, but as others have pointed he looks as any beginner. Besides, we have seen some transgendered beginner dancers go through our forum before and having a picture like this - poor technique or not - would really lift their spirits.

Yes this guy's pointe shoes look fairly new. Yes he is on a tile floor, but what if - gasp - he only has carpet flooring in the rest of his home? What if he's only doing pre-pointe? What if he isn't even going to do pointe work aside from a few releves at his barre? Rather than assume so much, take the picture for what it is - a gender queer individual doing some barre who may just be the inspiration other gender queer individuals need when embarking on ballet. Because let me tell you - the world is so limited in support of transgendered people and deciding that this image of a beginner trans ballet dancer shouldn't be on here, then let's just go ahead and remove all beginner pictures off this site.
On Sun Nov 24, 2013 07:56 AM
Guilty as charged. I am arguing with myself about this guy's choice of tights. For me it is all too familiar as there was a guy at one studio I used to take ballet lessons at that did dress just like the guy pictured above. The studio owner allowed it but there was an under current of grumbling from some of the women in the class and parents of younger dancers. I used to defend his choice of wearing pink tights because I could never understand why the color of a persons tights is such a big deal to some. I guess some females might feel like their territory is being invaded. The guy in our class came in every time wearing a black leotard and pink tights for the entire 12 week course and seemed oblivious to any ill feelings towards his attire. So I feel an automatic sense of defending someone who pursues a similar path. My question of should it be posted on DDN was a fair one. When I saw there was no negative feelings toward ex_gang_girl's posting I said that I don't feel it should be banned. There is a big difference between something being quietly removed and the picture and the poster being banned from DDN.
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:49 AM
In retrospect, I would have to agree with the OP, this IS an interesting photo. For two reasons.

First, it is mysterious. A Google Search for the photo revealed only one other place where it is featured: an otherwise unremarkable Google+ profile by a ballet dancer somewhere in the world (my guess is USA or Germany). It is featured in a section called "plie," alongside pictures of young ladies doing plie at the barre as well (in a different space, with a normal floor). There's another photo of the same person, where we learn that the barre is portable.

I was not able to find much interesting information about this picture. It's there, that's it. We don't know why, or how, or who, or anything about this person, other than what we can see in the picture.

The picture is also interesting because it has turned out to be a Rorschach Test for each of us: the lack of information allows our imaginations to run wild. I think a lot of interesting viewpoints have been brought up and expressed in this article.
By attitudegurl Comments: 151, member since Sat Oct 01, 2011
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 09:15 PM
Actually, he does dance. I've seen a web page with him in many pictures ( I am straining my brain to remember the site). Anyway, most of ghetto pictures were of him partnering a woman in regular male attire but then he switches into this outfit. If I remember correctly, he was en pointe in a few of the pics, he could just have new shoes. If I can remember the site I will post a link, it may be in my history.
By guyclone Comments: 253, member since Wed Dec 28, 2005
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 09:52 PM
I've known a number of guys who do pointe, even one of my exes. Most of them wore pink pointe shoes and ribbons. But not one of them dressed as a girl. They wore their normal guys clothing. Which is the main thing that indicates to me that this is a sexual thing for this guy.
That being said, I would say the important thing is his interest in ballet. We all came to it in different ways, but we all have a passion for it. So I'm not gonna knock this guy for it, even if I don't understand it.
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:11 PM
that indicates to me that this is a sexual thing for this guy.

Not so fast. Different people have different reasons for dressing this way, and only some of them are sexual.
By guyclone Comments: 253, member since Wed Dec 28, 2005
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:17 PM
what are the others?
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:29 PM
I finally realized he is in an album by one of my FB friends, Glod Florent. You can send a friend request, I"m not sure if the profile is public, but the page has lots of friends. There is a public twitter account twitter.com . . . . Florent changed his album so there are only the partnering pictures in the new one but the twitter one shows him lacing his shoes. I guess my point is, he does dance because you can see him partnering in the FB profile.

I knew I had just seen that pic! Whew!
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:30 PM
Whoops, made a big mistake. In my first post I used my ipad and it auto corrected one of my words to "ghetto". Did NOT mean to write that. I think I meant legit....sorry if I offended anyone!!!!
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:32 PM

twitter image
On Tue Nov 26, 2013 04:08 AM
guyclone wrote:

what are the others?

Being transgendered is one reason.

Also girl leotards are cut higher in the leg which give a better line for pointe work.

I've trained mostly as a female dancer and only ever owned one or two sets of male dance wear. For one there is no point in me wearing it if I'm not going to dance in a masculine fashion so why should I wear a masculine costume? Secondly, I'm half Japanese. I have a very petite and feminine build - I don't have a V shaped torso, I'm more rectangular and my rear is ridiculously large that a men's leo doesn't fit right and men's clothing in general is always too large for me in all the wrong places.

But then again, I'm 'weird'. I don't see things as 'girl clothes' and 'boy clothes' probably because boy clothes don't even fit me so I've gotten used to having to buy girl jeans and finding XXXS shirts for men is ridiculously hard so I'm always stuck with buying female clothing anyway. I'm not that kind of gender class person - in fact, I think that kind of thinking is stupid, senseless and baseless. If I think I look good and I like wearing something, then why shouldn't I? Who gets to determine what I should and shouldn't wear based on my genitalia? Because yeah, I'm a dude. But I look good in a dress. I look good in a tutu. And you know what, I like wearing them. I like wearing them as much as I like wearing my 'guy clothes'.
The idea for me is that clothing does not equal sexual representation. Clothing equals choice based on preferences. I'm not going to be there in ballet class in my purple female Wear Moi leotard, pink tights, pointe shoes and little chiffon skirt going "Yeah boys, check me out!" No. I'm pretty serious about my ballet. So serious I've learnt to let go of the concept of gender as something decisive and dividing and look at clothing as being nothing more than pieces of cloth. My ballet clothing - female as they may be - are my uniform through which I portray myself as a dancer in the 'female style' <--- I don't partner, I get partnered. I'll be your Kitri, but I will never be your Basilio.

So if I am going to dance as a woman, I'd better wear the right uniform and dress and look the part, no? Because ballet clothing isn't ordinary clothing - it's a uniform that indicates how you choose to dance.

I mean, I am sure that some people may have a fetish for female dancewear, but anyone in every walk of life is bound to have one. But I mean, do I have one? Not only would that make no sense considering the men I am attracted to and considering how expensive dance clothes are having a dancewear fetish in my opinion is a pretty bad move.

Also, it would be worth noting that this whole fetish labelling instinct for anything that involves a man not conforming to his gender role is a very Western idea. When I went to Japan, the concept of cross-dressing so relaxed there. You would see old Japanese men in school girl uniforms being very cheerful and happy and kind to tourists, you would see women dressed as men and men in short skirts and high heeled boots. The thought of 'fetish' doesn't even cross the mind. The idea is more culturally rooted in it's stigmatisation and it's an unnatural stigma - people should freely wear what they like without having to be negatively labelled straight away.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch