Forum: Arts / Debates

Debates
Dear Amy post. I think it was a great reply
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25854, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:30 AM

I think that the reply was perfect. I do not like the "they chose to be gay" argument. I don't believe we choose. I can get deep into my beliefs, as to why we don't, that our souls are male or female, and with each incarnation, if we choose to return to earth, we are still what our soul is meant to be, to learn soul lessons.

I do not understand not loving your child, no matter what. I have seen parents, though deeply saddened by it, still love a child who had committed serious crimes, even murder.

Why would I give a care to what others think about my child. I only care that my child can be as happy as she, or he can be, and to be a good, productive and loving adult.

14 Replies to Dear Amy post. I think it was a great reply

re: Dear Amy post. I think it was a great reply
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Thu Nov 21, 2013 01:24 PM
While I do understand the shock, pain and confusion a religious parent feels when their child is homosexual, I just can't get past how selfish this mother is!

All she is concerned about is being made fun of. I mean, really? You got through it in school, you can get through it now. Deep breath and carry on, lady. You have bigger fish to fry.

And of course it's all about her. He's doing this to get back at her, because he can't possibly have a life outside of his mother.

And then...she forgot his birthday?! Three years in a row?! I can kind of understand forgetting one year, if it's at a particularly busy time, but then you go out of your way to remember the next year. That right there just really illustrates the selfishness.

I know, I am being soooo judgemental and I really shouldn't be, but I just woke up and my angry is out. Yes, perfect response from Amy. This kid needs love, respect and acceptance. It's so, so sad that he's not getting that from his mother.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3041, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Thu Nov 21, 2013 02:29 PM
Columnist Amy wrote:
You could teach your son an important lesson by changing your own sexuality to show him how easy it is.

Masterful! And if the mother is sufficiently fanatic, she will attempt to do just that, not perceiving any sarcasm at all in the advice.

I suspect that this mother will end up in a nursing home with never a visit.
re: Dear Amy post. I think it was a great reply (karma: 1)
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3467, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu Nov 21, 2013 02:50 PM
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2013-11-21 14:51:15
Some people really have no business reproducing.

That is all.
On Thu Nov 21, 2013 03:48 PM
Dancing_EMT wrote:

Some people really have no business reproducing.

That is all.

And how!! You are so right!

I have to tell you, though, no matter how bad she treats him, he will probably take care of her when she is very old. Why do I say that? I have three, close friends, whose parents treated them like dirt, their entire life. When they were ill and dying, who was there for them, taking care of everything. Maybe it's because they are always looking for their approval.

Very sad. What a blessing to have a child. So many can never have them, and some of us have lost a child, and would take them anyway they came.
By califeisgirl Comments: 2439, member since Thu Mar 21, 2002
On Thu Nov 21, 2013 04:02 PM
I'm extra frustrated because there's a really bad grammar typo in the letter. Now the letter writer is annoying me twice as much!
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Fri Nov 22, 2013 01:24 AM
"I recently discovered that my son, who is 17, is a homosexual."

She DISCOVERED it. Like she dug up a fossil or something. Like Columbus DISCOVERED the new world. Bigot, please.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Fri Nov 22, 2013 01:50 AM
Seriously I've just read this.

Love love love the response.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Fri Nov 22, 2013 05:18 AM
Oh I saw this when George Takei posted it on FB.

I honestly don't see why this parent is so concerned about her child all of a sudden. I mean, she clearly neglected him already (3 years of forgetting his birthday and knowing it!), but oh no, he's caught the GAY! Now I must pay attention to him and acknowledge he is my child, not because I care for him, but THINK OF WHAT OTHER PEOPLE WILL SAY ABOUT ME?!

My mother had gone through IVF 5 times just to have me and only managed to spend 11 years of her life with me and she loved me regardless of my sexuality and in fact, was very supportive. For some reason, I have my doubts this mother would have done as much as my mother did to have a child to love and care like any parent should.
On Fri Nov 22, 2013 06:51 AM
Edited by Dream_chaser (11405) on 2013-11-22 06:59:12
I am very sorry that you lost your mother so young. yes, they were apparent to it just died to have a child, any type of child. this mother does not understand, what type of blessing she truly has.
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5172, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:07 AM
Clearly, she didn't hop backwards nine times in a junk yard next to a Hummer before giving birth. Everyone knows that's how you give birth to a straight kid. Now she knows for next time.
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:16 AM
All the replies in this thread restore my faith in humanity.
On Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:26 AM
I just saw my convoluted post, above. LOL I guess my text from voice does not understand me. I meant to say, " I am very sorry that you lost your mother so young. Yes, they were parents who would just die to have a child, any type of child. This mother does not understand, what type of blessing she truly has."
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16430, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Fri Nov 22, 2013 05:59 PM
I'd like to think this "mom" is fictional. That her letter was constructed just so the advisor could give this wonderful "advice" to make a beautiful point. But, unfortunately, I know some parents have so little heart. It grieves me and angers me at the same time that some parents can throw their own kids under a bus about crap that just really doesn't matter.

kk~
On Fri Nov 22, 2013 07:28 PM
kandykane wrote:

I'd like to think this "mom" is fictional. That her letter was constructed just so the advisor could give this wonderful "advice" to make a beautiful point. But, unfortunately, I know some parents have so little heart. It grieves me and angers me at the same time that some parents can throw their own kids under a bus about crap that just really doesn't matter.

kk~

KK, that was one thought that crossed my mind, but even if it was, sadly, there are enough parents with the same mindset.

ReplySendWatch