Forum: Arts / Movies & TV

Movies & TV
The Day Of The Doctor *with spoilers*
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Sat Nov 23, 2013 03:13 PM

Well I got up at 6:30am local time so I could watch the 50th anniversary special The Day Of The Doctor! Who else was up with me?

I appreciated the links back to the older series (not just paying fan service to 9, 10 and 11, although there was a lot of 10 love) because a huge part of my childhood was watching those old episodes on TV with my dad on ABC. I loved them! Even the 8th Doctor TV movie (I was at uni by then)!

9 Replies to The Day Of The Doctor *with spoilers*

re: The Day Of The Doctor *with spoilers*
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Sat Nov 23, 2013 03:18 PM
It aired around 3pm my time, so I rushed home from work to get to view it. I loved it, absolutely. I think it was fitting as a part of the story as well as a tribute for 50 years. :)
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Nov 23, 2013 03:35 PM
We've just finished watching it here, I'll have to ring my mom tomorrow and ask if she watched it because she was one of those people who watched the first episode 50 years ago.
By Balleticmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2413, member since Mon Sep 17, 2001
On Sat Nov 23, 2013 06:07 PM
Very excellent writing! I love the the turn it forces the story line to get into. Very exciting stuff! And as always, I have so much love for ten it was an excellent share of the spotlight.

I have to say though, there were things I was hoping for that I didn't get :P
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 02:06 PM
Edited by Caffeine (183827) on 2013-11-25 14:11:17 links
I didn't get up at stupid o'clock to see it live, I saw it in 3d on the big screen at a much more civilised time. (The Gallifrey paintings in 3d - WOW!)

Loved it. Very dark in parts, but they did it well. Loved the tributes to the old doctors (although it would have been nice to have had a few more in the show itself). And I so wanted the Curator to offer a jellybaby :D

Did anyone else catch the Night of the Doctor and the Five(ish) Doctors Reboot shorts?
By Naivohwmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1719, member since Mon Nov 17, 2003
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:46 PM
Edited by Naivohw (78074) on 2013-11-25 22:47:12
OMG, I just got back from watching it at the movie theatre. I just...I don't...I can't even...so many fangirl moments! I'm still in a haze of David Tennant-induced euphoria. I'll be back later to talk more rationally.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:01 PM
I'm so glad Billie Piper wasn't playing Rose. I hate Rose.

Trotters lane and Foreman's Salvage, so much to love. It's the same freaking school that Barbra and Ian taught at.

I was loving it throughout the entire thing and then I just lost it when there was Tom Baker.
By Sumayah Comments: 6877, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:06 PM
Saw it in 3D in the theatre with another Whovian friend, and it was soooooo good! The audience cheered when each doctor came on screen. Can't wait for the new doctor!
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Tue Nov 26, 2013 05:03 PM
Something to add which could be the "Who's Who" -- as a sidedish:

for your interest and for your fun... did they include all of the doctors?

photos.msn.com . . .
Image hotlink - 'http://img3.catalog.photos.msn.com/Image.aspx?uuid=07a0e3ca-3018-43dd-aefd-f211caf27dc3&w=628&h=498&so=2'

Nov. 26, 2013: Cosplayers attend a 'Doctor Who'-themed mass wedding at Bloomsbury Ballroom in central London, where 50 couples got married or renewed their vows to celebrate 50 years of the popular show.
By Tiggerpants Comments: 933, member since Fri Jan 05, 2007
On Wed Nov 27, 2013 01:51 PM
Hehehe, I know some of those cosplayers =) one of them is part of the DW cosplay forum I'm on and I've done a mini photo-shoot for one of the 10 cosplayers with his friend who does Rose =) (sorry, had a mini-squee moment when I saw them, how cool).

Overall I liked the episode but there were parts of it that frustrated me. Ten's reaction to hearing Bad Wolf was really out of character (he skipped over it a bit), I was OK with him not being able to see 'Rose' so I would've liked it more if Bad Wolf just never got mentioned rather than have a non-canon reaction, y'know?

The whole Zygon thing to me felt a bit...unfinished...I guess I just like neat endings.

But on the whole I enjoyed it.

ReplySendWatch