Forum: Irish / Irish

Oireachtas Opportunity
By twinkletoes2021
On Sun Nov 24, 2013 04:37 PM

I have the opportunity to be on a majors 8 hand team. I am 100% in, but my mom is a bit skeptical. She is worried about how much money it is to go to NANs (if we got the chance) and how we will afford it. There is also the fact that we would have to go up to the North classes every week which is a 1/2 an hour drive from my house to learn the dance and practice together. Does anyone have any ideas that would settle my mom's worries and her be on board with the idea too? I have been looking forward to being on an oireachtas team for awhile and it would make me pretty sad if i couldn't grab this opportunity.

Thanks,
twinkletoes2021 <3

5 Replies to Oireachtas Opportunity

re: Oireachtas Opportunity
By criosamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 24, 2013 05:38 PM
you're talking 2014 NANs? they'll be in Montreal, right?

I'd poke around your preferred travel website and get an idea of what the cost of travel (airfare, hotel) to Montreal in July would be. (if you know the costs now, you can keep an eye on the fares and snag one when you see the price has gone down)

would you be able to cut costs if you shared a hotel with another family?

are there any dancers you could carpool to the other class with?

is there anything you'd be willing to give up in order to afford the trip to NANs?

can you come up with any other creative ways to save money for the trip?

good luck!
By twinkletoes2021
On Sun Nov 24, 2013 07:22 PM
I'm talking about 2015 NANs which are in Rhode Island. There is one other dancer that i could carpool with, but she also does the class after figures so i would be hanging around the studio for an extra hour and a half after my class. Thanks for your ideas criosa, very helpful!
By Teasharkmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 01:46 AM
you could use that extra 1,5 hours to catch up on homework etc! I'm sure your parents will appreciate your maturity in trying to figure all this out on your own!

offer to help pay for extra expenses, if you can get jobs babysitting etc? that will also show them you are dedicated to this project. You can also ask family members that your birthday / christmas presents will be related to this project, for example team dress, travel expenses, new shoes, wigs and so forth.

I hope you can make it work!

Kind regards,

TeaShark
By tinydancer1988
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:18 AM
Also, what level is the class that you're carpool would be staying for? Depending on how hard you're working, and how close you are to moving up, the teacher may let you practice at a slightly higher level class. Dancing with people who are a level ahead can be great motivation, and can help you move up a little faster.

If you're interested in doing that, I would explain the situation to your teacher and see what he/she says.
By twinkletoes2021
On Wed Nov 27, 2013 07:42 PM
The class that is after figures is the Prelim and Open class, since i am only in adv. beginner and novice I can't see myself in that class. My mom has agreed to let me do the classes and be on the oireachtas team. Since we are the team with the younger dancers we will do regular feis' and the oireachtas which is luckily where i live next year unless we recall which isn't too likely. So that made my mom relax about money stuff. Our agreement for me to be on the team was that i had to stay on track woth school otherwise i wouldn't be allowed to partcipate.

ReplySendWatch