Forum: Arts / Religion

Religion
Are there any other muslims on DDN?
By SofiaGambina Comments: 21, member since Sun Nov 24, 2013
On Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:50 PM

I doubt it but it is worth a shot. I just discovered we have this section.

5 Replies to Are there any other muslims on DDN?

re: Are there any other muslims on DDN?
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 06:36 AM
If you scroll back a few pages I know there is someone that converted in the last year and change.
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 07:32 AM
Yep, Miyuki_Chan converted a while ago.

Welcome to dance.net! We love to discuss differing viewpoints, and I think having another Muslim on here will offer everyone a different perspective :)
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:08 AM
I am not a Muslim, but I have a Masters Degree in Middle East area studies, was for a time an intelligence analyst in Middle Eastern affairs and was employed as an Arabic translator early in my career. Sadly, my Arabic skills are largely just a memory now. My courses of study also included courses in Islamic History, Islamic Civilizations, and Political Science for the area.

I don't believe they were Muslims, but at one time we had a few European members who seem to be inactive now, but were resident in the Middle East at least one in the Emirates (I believe her father was a pilot for one of their airlines), there was a Norwegian girl resident in Egypt and another girl who taught wind surfing in the Egyptian Sinai coast.

It would be very interesting to explore to what degree Islamic cultures embrace dancing and to what extend ex-pat people of Islamic Middle Eastern background or those from non-Middle Eastern Islamic countries (Bengla Desh, Pakistan, Indonesia, Malaysia etc.) embrace dancing. It would be interesting to know if Islam puts any restrictions on dancing. [I never got into that sort of thing in my studies.]

One inhibitor, of course, is that DDN largely serves the English-speaking world, though we have munerous speakers of English from countries where English is not the first language. While there are certainly Muslims throughout the USA, Canada, and the UK (There is a Mosque just a few miles from my house and I have several Muslims in my neighborhood), it is almost impossible to determine if the children of this still comparatively small population participates in the sort of dancing discussed on DDN. I know their are several minorities represented in the ballet company where I play violin in the orchestra. Most are Korean which usually would indicate they are not Muslim, but we also have a number of South Asians (India,Pakistan), some of whom might be Islamic, though religious affiliation isn't really discussed in that environment. Some of our larger Middle Eastern-descended communities of Arab background are actually from Lebanon and most Lebanese-Americans are Lebanese Christians (Maronites.) The same is true for Palestinians resident here.

I hope this can stimulate some further discussions..

Jon
By SofiaGambina Comments: 21, member since Sun Nov 24, 2013
On Thu Nov 28, 2013 03:20 PM
Hi Jon.
I was reading your response and just wanted to say most muslims (as I'm sure you know) don't dance or listen to music. There are no "restrictions" on dancing (as long as it's not twerking. You know the whole modesty thing). There is a slight restriction on music. Nothing is wrong with the classical music and non-lyricals. Most imams look past it.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Thu Nov 28, 2013 07:11 PM
^Actually, that last statement depends a lot on geography in the Islamic world. Egypt, for example, has a long an vibrant musical history. It is a music little understood by westerners, and I even include myself among these, though a concert violinist myself, my knowledge of most non-western music is marginal. But I have heard it. You may not hear a lot of it in, say Saudi Arabia, but you would in Egypt, Syria, pre-Israel Palestine and in the Maghreb (Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco) where you had both the remnants of the Arab empires of Spain, but also of French colonial influence. At the time I was studying Arabic (1960's) the most popular musician in the world by far was an Egyptian singer and woman named Umm Kalthum whose broadcasts would attract 100,000,000 listeners every week. She, of course, was unknown in the West. My Arabic professor (who actually was a member of a Syrian Christian sect called the Assyrians (who claimed to descended from the Biblical Assyrians and who spoke a variant of Aramaic (the language of Jesus) called Syriac) would bring in recordings of Middle Eastern music, especially Umm Kalthum. I, of course, being thoroughly ingrained in Western music hated it, but it does exist, if not in all places. Cairo once had an opera company and a ballet and Turkey still has professional dance companies. The symphonies I play in have had Muslim violinists. Some of the outliers of Islamic culture such as Indonesia, which is a majority Muslim country have long traditions of dance and music.

Jon

ReplySendWatch