Forum: Irish / Irish - MAIDs

Irish - MAIDs
pixie hair cut needs a bun? !?!?
By fabtapper Comments: 41, member since Thu Dec 08, 2005
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 03:54 AM

Hi everyone. I was strongly advised to come to here for the best advice concerning wigs! My DD is a ballet dancer with short ( pixie cut) hair and needs to have a bun for upcoming Nutcracker.

So how do I fix it on ??Any advice/ wisdom would be most appreciated. Not sure if fake bun isthe way to go or fake hair and then make a bun would be better. I cannot even get her hair into a pony tail....eeeeeek!! If anyone has had to do anything similar I would love to hear your story!
Thank you

6 Replies to pixie hair cut needs a bun? !?!?

re: pixie hair cut needs a bun? !?!?
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5653, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 05:29 AM
Edited by Crazy_Claire (120567) on 2013-11-25 05:30:51
Edited by Crazy_Claire (120567) on 2013-11-25 05:31:23
Edited by Crazy_Claire (120567) on 2013-11-25 05:40:28
YouTube has some great tutorial videos for how people do Irish Dancing Bun wigs which might be a useful starting point although the dancers in these videos have really long hair.

www.youtube.com . . .

I know there was a World Champion dancer a few years ago who had a pixie cut and was able to get a bun wig to stay on throughout the day, so it is definitely possible. We use a lot of bobby pins to hold the wigs in place to prevent them from falling off. So I would assume she probably put the bun wig on top and used a lot of bobby pins to keep it secure.

This post had someone ask about short hair and bun wigs and had some helpful replies: www.dance.net . . .

Claire.
By sarahrID Comments: 99, member since Sun Jul 14, 2013
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:29 AM
One of the bloggers I read, Sarah Kubik I think is her name (the blog is Rince Go Bragh) just got a pixie cut earlier this year and wears a bun wig sometimes I think. If you find her blog maybe you can Facebook or tweet her to see if she can give you any pointers.

(And I hope this post doesn't make me sound like a stalker! I just remember her posting pics of her new haircut at some point!)
By fabtapper Comments: 41, member since Thu Dec 08, 2005
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 02:35 PM
Wow... What a kind thoughtful bunch of people have taken the time to try to help me! Thank you all so very much. I was recommended this post and can see why you are highly thought of. Thank you again and I will keep you posted !!
By Teasharkmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 502, member since Fri Oct 06, 2006
On Wed Nov 27, 2013 09:29 AM
I would recommend braiding her hair (french plait maybe) in the areas where your bun wig comb will go. This will keep it in very well. pins also stay really well in french plaits. just slick the rest of the hair back into where the bun will go, pin it all around the use gel on the hair. Also, I find that when I braid the hair that will be used for combs, I get less of a wig-headache.

hope it works out well!

Kind regards,

TeaShark
By eturner3 Comments: 20, member since Mon Dec 02, 2013
On Sat Dec 07, 2013 08:21 PM
I think that pixie cuts are lovely. It is very possible to wear bun wigs with them. The key is teasing you hair. If you tease it up, nothing will fall off and everything will stay on great. Best of luck for you!!!
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Thu Aug 26, 2010
On Sun Dec 08, 2013 07:29 AM
I'm friends with Sara, we follow each other on tumblr. Here's the link to her dance tumblr, you can probably ask her there :)

rinceforever.tumblr.com

ReplySendWatch