Forum: Highland / Highland Dance Videos

Highland Dance Videos
Highland workout video
By GILL5 Comments: 44, member since Mon Apr 08, 2013
On Mon Nov 25, 2013 07:12 PM

Looking for the best highland workout video for preteens.

4 Replies to Highland workout video

re: Highland workout video
By LingScot Comments: 1036, member since Sat Apr 09, 2005
On Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:47 PM
What exactly are you looking for, and how advanced is the dancer? e.g., are you looking for something that will actually lead your dancer through some dances and practice sessions? or something that is more geared toward fitness and cross-training, for the highland dancer?

In general, though, you'd want to check with both your child's dance teacher and physician to make sure that any additional home-training is age- and developmental-stage-appropriate. If you're specifically looking for things to lead your child through a practice, your dance teacher is probably the best person to help. On the other hand, if it's more about cross-training, any fitness video geared to that age group would probably be good.

More broadly, some of the videos I know to be out there include:

Highland Kitty (dancing based, for beginner/novice): www.tartantown.com . . .

The Advanced Highland Technique series by the Mitchelson brothers:
www.tartantown.com . . .

Kira Cogwsell VanSteenkiste on Expert Village (basic highland technique for beginners):
www.youtube.com . . .

Highland on Demand (beg/novice highland technique):
www.highlandxpress.com . . .

Sandy Gribbin's ScotFit (highland dance cross-training for fitness / injury prevention; has a "bootcamp," yoga, and Pilates versions):
www.studiofitonline.com . . .

There's also a new DVD called "Power Up," designed by Bill Weaver, that has cross training exercises on it -- but I think you have to contact the Weavers directly to purchase it.
By GILL5 Comments: 44, member since Mon Apr 08, 2013
On Wed Nov 27, 2013 06:36 AM
Thanks so much. My girls are Premier and I was looking for endurance and cross training. You have given me a couple of good suggestions:)
By bree_dancer Comments: 308, member since Wed Nov 02, 2005
On Wed Nov 27, 2013 04:29 PM
I love scotfit
By maweans Comments: 376, member since Sat Nov 10, 2007
On Sun Dec 08, 2013 05:15 PM
You can get power up from Dana robataille.

ReplySendWatch