Forum: Cheer / Cheerleading

Mid Year, New Coach
By ttbeaman
On Tue Nov 26, 2013 07:32 PM

I recently accepted a position to be the new head coach for a local high school. I have been a head coach before and am confident in my abilities. I am concerned however with the transition of getting new coaches mid year. What help and advice do you have for making it a smooth transition and helping the team be open to a new coach. Thanks!

2 Replies to Mid Year, New Coach

re: Mid Year, New Coach
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 27, 2013 06:17 PM
Why is the other coach leaving? Did s/he just feel like it was their time? Or family emergency? Or fired?

If it's something that can be discussed with the team-- I definitely suggest starting off with that.

"Hi! I'm Miss Ttbeaman, and I'll be your new coach for the remainder of the season. Unfortunately, Miss OldCoach had a family emergency and will no longer be able to coach you guys! But I hope we can all have a great time together, and I'm really excited to be working with all of you!"

And then LAY DOWN THE LAW. Don't wait until someone does something mid-season that is "against the rules." State them early on, and explain what the reprimand for each rule broken will be. Keep it light, but show them that you're serious as well.
re: Mid Year, New Coach
By ttbeaman
On Wed Nov 27, 2013 08:23 PM
Thanks you! I appreciate you ideas. She is getting married and has decided that she no longer wants to coach.

ReplySendWatch