Forum: Arts / Humor

Humor
Really? (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:56 PM

Image hotlink - 'http://www.wired.com/geekmom/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/a-charlie-brown-thanksgiving-original1.jpg'

Is it just me? It seems that giving Woodstock a slice of turkey is kind of insensitive.... this is definitely an occasion to use the, "Let him eat cake" line if there ever was one. Wasn't there corn at the 1st Thanksgiving? Birds eat corn...

Just sayin'

Happy Thanksgiving to all in the US

Keep On Dancing*

5 Replies to Really?

re: Really? (karma: 1)
By Scarletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 952, member since Fri Apr 11, 2008
On Thu Nov 28, 2013 03:21 AM
Edited by Scarlet (194795) on 2013-11-28 03:22:55
Different birds have different diets, some are herbivorous, some are carnivorous, many will scavenge for what they can find.

I recall a moment when I was sitting down having lunch one afternoon at university this last semester. I looked over and noticed a discarded chicken leg on the ground, but soon after I noticed that I noticed a little sparrow pecking at it. Soon after that an Indian Myna fluttered down and hooked into it. Then a duck waddled in and pushed the myna and the sparrow out of the way. The duck didn't just peck at it, it picked the leg up and shook it, throwing chicken muscle everywhere.

At this point, the sparrow, the myna and a kookaburra overlooking the whole scene darted in and ran off with their morsels, the duck waddling off with it's and this poor chicken femur lying on the ground stripped bare.

So yes, certain birds can and will eat bird meat. It's no more weird than a human (mammal) eating cow (mammal).

Happy Thanksgiving if that's your thing... or Channukah too as the case may be.
Mark
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Thu Nov 28, 2013 03:31 AM
When I used to go camping in Wales, we would always put our leftovers out for the chickens on the farm. People say goats will eat anything - well so will chickens. Coco Pops, spaghetti, roast chicken dinner - they quite happily got stuck in to everything.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Thu Nov 28, 2013 06:07 AM
Louise, in view of your observation, we will have to modify a cliche: Laws are like sausages and chickens. It is better not to see them being made.

And Christine, this post, and this year's calendar, have given me something else to be thankful for: --that I am not a kosher turkey. What would have been my life expectancy?

So you ask what kind of turkey I am? Oh knock it off!
re: Really?
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Nov 28, 2013 08:17 PM
Time to dig out the field guides and brush up on my ornithology. Of course, mine is "Birds of North America", so I'd be missing so much of the bird world.

When we were in Jamaica we had breakfast on an ocean side deck every morning. The birds would swoop down on the empty plates and gobble up the eggs. Protein is protein, I know. Somehow my brain couldn't get over the idea that birds would eat their own young. Which is stupid.... all creatures recover protein this way. Even ants. And let's not forget that horrific moment when the mamma doggie ate the still born puppies....

Thanks for all the "bird talk" my wonderful DDN friends.... I think it may be time for me to become a vegetarian...

Keep On Dancing*
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Nov 29, 2013 07:46 AM
Louise wrote:

People say goats will eat anything - well so will chickens. Coco Pops, spaghetti, roast chicken dinner - they quite happily got stuck in to everything.

Yup, chickens are omnivorous, so are most birds, a bug isn't that different from another bird, it's still meat and most of them eat bugs too.

In answer to Louise goats don't eat everything, I know it appears that way because they put everything in their mouth, but their tongue is their major sensory organ, we have fingers, goats use their mouth to feel things. They're actually browsers, they eat shrubs and small trees, they don't even eat grass. Unfortunately for the goat when it feels stuff this can wreck it too.

Christine, when a dog eats it's still born pups it's doing it because the option is even more gross, the still borns will stay in the den and decompose presenting a health risk for the surviving pups.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving.

ReplySendWatch