Forum: Arts / Debates

Debates
Should people stop treating asians as a "model minority"?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8689, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sun Dec 01, 2013 08:39 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-12-01 20:44:29

www.politico.com . . .
articles.latimes.com . . .

As a 1/2 asian woman, this subject is a lot closer to me then other debates. I stopped marking the checkbox for "asian" when applying to colleges, because I feared I would be judged against other asian women. I feel that asians do face some sort of discrimination ( outside CA especially) but they aren't taken very seriously because a lot of people see asians as successful and not a "struggling" minority.

Although asians are still a minority in the United States, they aren't eligiable for some scholorships that they offer "other" minorities.

Here is something that President Obama said about a year ago.
Because Asians are cast as the "model minority" in the United States, Obama said it's easy to overlook the community's challenges, including educational, economic and health disparities, as well as language challenges for recent immigrants and the threat of hate crimes.

"We first have to stop grouping everybody just in one big category," he said. "Dozens of different communities fall under the umbrella of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. And we have to respect that the experiences of immigrant groups are distinct and different, and your concerns run the gamut. That's something Washington needs to understand better." His administration has strived to do that, Obama said, in part by reestablishing the White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.

As for affirmative actions, I know that some asians think that getting rid of it would benefit asians. They talk about a "bamboo ceiling'

Some Asian American groups, such as the 80-20 Education Foundation, have been among the most vocal and visible in opposing what's broadly termed affirmative action. They believe getting rid of race considerations will work to the advantage of Asian Americans, who on average have held more extracurricular leadership positions and have higher test scores and grade-point averages than whites, yet have the lowest acceptance rate to elite private universities.

They are not wrong to worry about Asian admissions. The circumstantial evidence for a "bamboo" ceiling on Asian admissions is mounting. According to a 2009 study by sociologists Thomas Espenshade and Alexandria Radford, Asian Americans must score 140 points higher on the SAT to have the same chance at admission to private colleges as whites. College enrollment trends show that the percentage of Asian Americans in many Ivies has stayed flat — between 15% and 18% — in the last 20 years, even though the college-age population of Asian Americans has doubled.

Thoughts on this?

1 Replies to Should people stop treating asians as a "model minority"?

re: Should people stop treating asians as a "model minority"?
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Sun Dec 01, 2013 08:55 PM
Edited by slice (109495) on 2013-12-01 20:59:25
Absolutely. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, so-called "positive" stereotypes are harmful as well. Obama's comments are on-point. Not only does the Model Minority Myth overlook the various challenges within the Asian American community, it also denies the fact that said community is actually made up of many many different cultural communities that are all unique.

However, this isn't a conversation imo that needs to framed as Asian Americans versus other underrepresented POC. That's every bit as harmful and ignores the source of the problem in order to pin it back onto other vulnerable groups. Which is why I find the comments about affirmative action troubling (btw the largest beneficiaries of affirmative action are white women; also white privileged students who failed to meet University standards are nearly twice as common on top campuses as minority students who had benefited from affirmative action).

But Asian Americans and East Asian, South Asian, and Pacific Islander immigrants are all people of color and as such face many challenges that come with not being white in America. This needs to be recognized by people in positions of social power who support the Model Minority Myth to the detriment of Asian Americans everywhere.

ReplySendWatch