Forum: Advice / Beauty

Neosporin on chapped lips and acne. (karma: 1)
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Mon Dec 02, 2013 01:29 AM

I have been using Neosporin+Pain on my acne breakouts on my face. I use a scrub about twice a week and rub in a layer of Neosporin+Pain right on top of that (twice a week) It doesn't heal pimples that don't have a white tip but I haven't gotten a cluster outbreak since starting this routine 3 months ago. I also have a bad habit of popping blackheads on my nose and cheeks and I haven't scarred at all.

I also use plain Neosporin on my chapped lips and it works amazing. I was the girl with always chapped lips no matter how many times I used chapstick. I was always bleeding and had chapped lips. This is the first time that I have baby smooth lips that last all day!

I am not a doctor so I am not sure if these tips are "safe" but it has been working wonders for me!

11 Replies to Neosporin on chapped lips and acne.

re: Neosporin on chapped lips and acne.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 02, 2013 05:54 AM
I've done it while pregnant and it worked well.
By slice
On Mon Dec 02, 2013 08:15 AM
Wow, I would've never thought of that. My lips (and skin in general) drives me nuts during the winter, it's so dry. I will have to try that!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:11 AM
Neosporin makes actual lip products. My husband swears by them, they're the only brand he'll actually keep and use.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:40 AM
Lansinoh is awesome for chapped lips.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 02, 2013 06:36 PM
That is great that you found something that works, I do want to add a few things, though.

First, Neosporin is not good for extended use anywhere on your body. Using Neosporin too often can make it harder for your skin to resist other bacteria. The warning on the package advises that it not be used for more than 7 days or on large areas of the body. If you are using it only very occasionally as a spot treatment, there is probably nothing to worry about, but don't be tempted to start lathering it on all the time.

The ingredients can actually be pore clogging for some people. I am one of those people. Same with Polysporin, I read something about Bacitracin/Neomycin being a major source of allergic reactions. I find that Benzoyl Peroxide is a much better spot treatment for me.

I would be interested to know if just plain vaseline gives you the same results. Sometimes our skin is just angry because it is dry. Vaseline is a very useful unmedicated ointment. Aquaphor is AMAZING for your lips! It has petroleum jelly AND lanolin. I have also hear amazing things about Bag Balm as it also has lanolin.

I know I just read an article about this (I think the article was talking about polysporin on acne) and it was really great and informative. I can only remember a couple of things in the article, though, and I can't seem to find it again. If I do come across it I will let you know, I see lots of great stuff at www.reddit.com . . . ). In the long run it is much better to find a chemical exfoliant, spot treatment intended for acne and a good moisturizer.

I am not saying that you are doing something terrible, but I think in the long term it would be better for you to find other products that work.
By Believemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 02, 2013 06:57 PM
^I wouldn't use vasoline on the skin as a treatment at all it clogs pores and is full of just general crap you don't really want ion your face. My friend works in makeup and is always telling people to stop putting Vaseline on their faces.
re: Neosporin on chapped lips and acne. (karma: 1)
On Mon Dec 02, 2013 07:54 PM
^ uhhh full of what general crap exactly? Vaseline is 100% petroleum jelly, so it literally is not full of anything else. It is classified as noncomedogenic (does not clog pores, same with mineral oil) by the FDA. Vaseline is an emollient and occlusive ointment (it acts to lock in moisture and prevent water loss). Depending on your skin type YMMV, it may not be good to use for some skin types that do not need the extra moisture, but there is no reason to say that NO ONE should use it. It is not fool proof, especially if you are applying it to dirty skin (then you are locking the dirt in!). For someone that has dry skin (or Eczema) and acne that comes with dry skin, it is a good moisturizer, and recommended by many dermatologists. The OP specifically stated that something with a high amount of vaseline is helping her face, so it should go without saying that vaseline itself would have no negative effect on her skin. She is already putting it on her face! I merely suggest that she try it without the medication that is added to neosporin. Of course, a little goes a long way and there is no harm in doing a test patch to see if your skin likes it, you only need a little bit!

If you are interested in any more science based skin info, check out www.reddit.com . . . !
By pharmadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 03, 2013 08:45 AM
Edited by pharmadancer (87219) on 2013-12-03 08:48:13
^ uhhh full of what general crap exactly? Vaseline is 100% petroleum jelly, so it literally is not full of anything else

If you are interested in any more science based skin info, check out reddit.com . . . !

I wouldn't exactly be using reddit as my source of science-based info...

Petroleum jelly is not a single compound - petroleum jelly is a mixture of different hydrocarbons (waxes, paraffins, oils, etc) made from by-products of petroleum refining for oil production. Vaseline is highly refined and so is probably one of the "cleanest" sources of jelly.

Personally, if I am concerned about what I put onto my skin, I'd rather use products which allow me to know exactly the composition. I use vaseline on occasion, but I wouldn't use it on a daily basis. You can find a lot of information and misinformation online, but one example of concerns about petroleum jelly can be found here:

davidsuzuki.org . . .
On Tue Dec 03, 2013 07:43 PM
I wonder if you took a look at the specific subreddit that I linked? It is science based and the reason I enjoy that subreddit is because the mods work hard to keep only science based research in the answers and FAQs. Many of the members there have access to research articles that I do not, so I appreciate that aspect. Like I said, I know that petroleum jelly is not great for everyone, but again the OP is already using an item that is mostly made up of the stuff and it has given her NO adverse reactions so far. I simply made a suggestion of stopping with the neosporin (because of the other things added to it) and going with the straight petroleum jelly. Why is it that others seem to find it so bad to put straight petroleum jelly on your face, but not other items that contain it? Many commercial products that I see people recommend all the time use mineral oil or petroleum jelly as one of the top ingredients! The Cetaphil for dry skin, which is a highly recommended brand, contains petroleum jelly, so does Eucerin. I tend to go the mineral oil route because my face really seems to like it.

I have seen articles about "toxins" in mineral oil and petroleum jelly and I know about how it was being linked to cancer. I still have yet to see anything scientifically definitive, it has not been proven. Even the article you posted Pharma glazes past the point that if it is properly refined the PAHs are removed. I guess you can say that you don't know if it has been, but I trust that it is given that The American Medical Association lists petroleum jelly as a drug for treating severely dry skin. It is also approved by the FDA and the AMA. I suppose the same could be said about mineral oil, and we slather that all over babies.

Here is an article that I think is helpful as well health.howstuffworks.com . . .

We could go back and forth forever, I don't see a point.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Dec 04, 2013 05:10 AM
My doctor has used neosporin on her lips as long as I can remember - since at least 1980. Personally, I don't like it because it doesn't stay on well enough. Just give me some plain old chap stik.

If you're going to use it for acne, I'd probably try the cream instead of the ointment. Also, if you have acne, the last thing you want to do is use a scrub. Exfoliants are for DRY skin. They promote oil production, which can cause more acne.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Dec 04, 2013 05:21 AM
I wouldn't use Vaseline on my face purely because it's so thick! I can't imagine putting that on under make-up, or actually even just in the evening. Heavy creams make my face sweat which surely negates the point. Perhaps Vaseline is a different consistency in the UK? Here you could spread it on toast, it's nearly solid. I use it hundreds of times a day on my lips, it's the only thing I use on my lips (they do a rose-tinted one) but not as a moisturiser.

My doctor has always recommended aqueous cream to me any time I have a breakout, or a rash or dry skin anywhere on the body. You can use it in place of soap, as in swipe it onto your skin before you get in the shower (no need to vigorously rub in) and then shower it off, and you can use it as a moisturiser too. It is still quite thick but not as much as Vaseline.

ReplySendWatch