By Blackswandance Comments: 3, member since Mon Dec 02, 2013
On Mon Dec 02, 2013 08:51 PM

Does anybody know any competitive ballet studios on long island

7 Replies to In need of a studio

re: In need of a studio
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:06 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-12-03 12:09:35 fix link
I'm posting this information again in case you were put off by one of the harsh replies on your other thread and are avoiding the "bad vibrations"

pirouetteofhuntington.com . . .
Elsa knows just about everyone at SAB, JKO, ABT, NYU, NYCB and runs a national registry of dance educators. nrde.org . . .
I took my girls out there for classes with her and with her modern teacher years ago and I'd do it again tomorrow if I had interested students. She is smart, wise, and has a lifetime of professional experience. I just LOVE her. So did my students. Even if your parents don't want to take you there, I'm sure you could arrange a private with her and she could give you some honest direction. She knows all the good, qualified teachers, and will be able to give you some priceless insights.

It is out on the far end of the island, but it is an easy drive. If your parents don't want to cross LI Sound into Manhattan for SAB or JKO (and I know many will drive to the far end of Suffolk for a soccer game yet will not cross the Whitestone Bridge...)I promise you won't be disappointed.

I don't know if they compete, but she will be able to give you honest and helpful guidance. If she can't help you, she will know who can and she isn't nasty or competitive about other studios. If I lived anywhere on Long Island (and yes, I know how "LONG" it is) I'd dance with her.

I wish you the very best. Please let us know about your journey.
xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Tue Dec 03, 2013 03:37 PM
I'm confused, the above URL seems to be for a dancewear store, not a studio.
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2268, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Tue Dec 03, 2013 07:29 PM
I see nothing wrong with either link....
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Tue Dec 03, 2013 08:17 PM
The problem is the OP asked for a recommendation on a dance studio, and neither link provides one.

A Google Maps search on "ballet" brings up no more than two dozen establishments, some of which are almost certainly not ballet schools (Google is not always so smart). With a little work, the OP could come up with a short list of schools that are feasible to get to, then investigate them more thoroughly.
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2268, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:32 PM
The first link is for a school of dance. The second has an organization which has lists of teachers.

Both are valid links that answer the OP's question.
On Wed Dec 04, 2013 08:25 PM
I see, the first link is a studio (it looked like a store at first). I would have expected something more like:

poseyschool.com

The teaching at the beginner levels here could be great. But I'm not sure this is really the kind of thing the OP is looking for. The most advanced level is "Ballet III/IV age 12+", and it meets no more than three times per week. Teenagers serious about a ballet career need to be going to the studio 4-6 days/week, many days involving multiple classes.

The OP should be aware that the list of teachers is from an organization of private studio teachers. Based on the OP's stated goals, I suspect the OP is interested in more of an academy setting.

I mentioned Eglevsky Ballet School. It has a far more comprehensive training program, the kind that really can (and does) prepare students for ballet careers. See the "Advanced" level, which involves 3.5 hr/day of training, 6 days/wk:

www.eglevskyballet.org . . .
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:42 PM
OP... Long Island is over 100 miles long. Are either of the schools recommended within a reasonable travel distance for your parents?

Bethpage (the location of the school greenpumpkin recommends)to Northport (the Posey School)is under twenty miles. If you r parents are open to the groundwork of visiting both schools I would encourage you to do so. Who knows... if your arrangement with Elsa is for her to evaluate your abilities and recommend the proper "next step", she may recommend the school greenpumpkin feels is more appropriate for you.

Please keep us informed about your progress.

Best wishes...

Keep ON Dancing*

ReplySendWatch