Forum: Irish / Irish

What is WIDA??
By luckycharms5
On Thu Dec 05, 2013 07:25 PM

We have a regular dance school in our area starting to offer Irish dance classes under a teacher associated with the World Irish Dance Association. It seems like he has a school in Ireland but was in America teaching classes at this dance school. It was advertised that he is a 10 time world champion. I am not familiar with this organization- could anyone explain what this organization is? Do they offer feises? I know those dancers could not compete in clrg comps, correct? In researching he says he is taking his TCRG and TMRF in 2014. I thought TCRG was only a CLRG designation? Any information is appreciated.

4 Replies to What is WIDA??

re: What is WIDA??
By Sakura_Efreet
On Thu Dec 05, 2013 08:31 PM
I am on my phone, so I'm sorry if there are any weird mistakes.

WIDA is the World Irish Dancing Association. It was formed about ten years ago and is based in Germany. One of the orgs goals is to bring Irish Dancing to parts of the world where there are very few to no dancing schools. Yes, it is open platform.

Yes, many feiseanna are offered all over. There are also different majors offered. Certified WIDA teachers are called TCRGs, TMRFs. Other orgs use these names as well, aside from CLRG.

WIDA has a website with a comprehensive list of rules, feiseanna, syllabi, etc. You can find it when searching google for "World Irish Dance Association."
By Spitjemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:57 AM
in my opinion The WIDA is a very nice organisation!
they are growing fast!
my school is a CRN school but almost all the feiseanna I dance are from the WIDA.
By lightfoot_champmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 06, 2013 05:23 AM
I know that dancer you are talking about and it was incorrectly advertised, he never won a world championship competition.
He did Win the CRDM all Irelands 10 times though, but not a world championship
By DefyingGravityPremium member
On Fri Dec 06, 2013 05:53 PM
Since your daughter dances for RNT, it was pretty easy to figure out who you were talking about.

The Long's School of Dance recently joined the World Irish Dance Association. Michael O'Reilly was a CRDM dancer who opened the Michael O'Reilly Dance Emporium in Ireland earlier this year under WIDA and now also teaches for the Long's School. He's an extremely good dancer by any organization's standards, and I'm looking forward to seeing how his dancers do! And Jono is right, the advertisement was incorrect - he won the CRDM All Irelands 10 times, not the Worlds (CRDM didn't have a Worlds, and WIDA wasn't around for most of that time).

worldirishdance.com
www.facebook.com . . .
www.longschoolofdance.net

WIDA dancers compete in open platform feiseanna and use the same abbreviations as CLRG for the teacher/adjudicator designations, though I believe the letters stand for something different.

ReplySendWatch