Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Jazz - Beginners
Leaps that need little to no flexibilty?
By dancedance27 Comments: 39, member since Wed Oct 23, 2013
On Mon Dec 09, 2013 03:12 PM

I am looking for leaps that need none to little flexiblity. I am about 5 inches from my splits and want to have a few good leaps that I can do that look nice. Any ideas? Thank you :)

7 Replies to Leaps that need little to no flexibilty?

re: Leaps that need little to no flexibilty?
By jazzpanda Comments: 36, member since Fri Aug 31, 2012
On Mon Dec 09, 2013 05:18 PM
Double stags maybe? Just because you are five inches from your splits does not mean your leaps will look bad! Proper technique is the most important thing.
On Tue Dec 10, 2013 09:39 AM
Thank you for the suggestion. :)
On Wed Dec 11, 2013 01:55 PM
Any more ideas?..
By emdance24 Comments: 116, member since Mon Oct 28, 2013
On Sun Dec 29, 2013 01:56 PM
The ones that don't require flexibility other than a double stag that I know of are all kind of difficult.

Axel Jump (hard)
Tour jetes (don't require THAT much flexibility)
Barrel jump (the version where you chaine into a jump with both legs in back attitude)

But my advice is to just keep working on your flexibility so you can do all leaps beautifully! Besides, you can do a lovely grand jete without a big split as long as you have straight legs, nice arms, pointed feet etc. Like the person before me said; technique is whats important, not just bravura :)
By ELLS Comments: 20, member since Sun Aug 18, 2013
On Sun Dec 29, 2013 03:18 PM
I'm quite far from the splits and have the same sort of problem also...so annoying :/ x
By Moonedance Comments: 6, member since Wed Nov 16, 2011
On Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:24 AM
Try TEMPS DE FLECHE prounouned "tahn-dih-flesh" can start small and get larger. As a professinal dancer I've used very small ones in works and very large "whacked" ones as well. Work up to it. Stag leaps ( attitude in front, straight leg in back), Double Stag ( 2 attitudes), Chasse En Tournant, Tours, Any sort of Tuck jump. Try Saute Passe( or retire') depending on what your school calls it. Again The Saute passe can be tucked. You can do those travelling in all directions, parallel or turned out, also with a tucked bottom leg. Try Turning (en tournant) any of those leaps as well. It depends on your strength and level. Keep working at the flexibility though because even those leaps are easier with stretch.

Also Pas De Chat (parallel and turned out) then take it en tournant. Kind of feels just like a tuck jump).
Also Assemble' parallel and turned out. Sissones can build in size and be done parallel. or turned out as well as saute arabesque.

- On classes with limited flexibility I've used a lot of assemble' (prouncounded ah-sahm-blay) tuck jumps wher say you brush you right leg out high and then jump and bring left leg to right leg tucking both under you ( if travelling forward) or to the side of you if you are travelling sideways....then landing with both feet together.

- Again not sure of your level but axel jumps as well.
By joanemitch Comments: 2, member since Thu Feb 06, 2014
On Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:32 AM
I'm not a flexible dancer either. I have just recently gotten my splits after 10 years of trying, not to mention i pull and tear my hamstrings a lot. One of my favorite leaps is a Calipso and/or Truning Russing (front leg extended, back leg in additude). though they can be challenging at first, it can still be elligant without being at a perfect 90*.

ReplySendWatch