Forum: Arts / Pets

Giving a dog pumpkin...
By imadanseurPremium member
On Tue Dec 10, 2013 02:07 PM

I have a senior dog - 15 1/2 year old part German Shepherd and part Golden Retriever. The last week I've found a small very hard piece of poop on the floor two different days. I am wondering if he is slightly constipated. Sometimes when we go for a walk he seems to be pushing too much, but normally he's still doing fine.

I am obsessing about every small change of his behavior since he is my main man. I've had him longer than any relationship, longer than I've known my husband etc. He is part of my world and I know eventually he won't be with me. I read about pumpkin on line...so I'm wondering if other people have tried this with a dog and if they saw any benefits.

Thanks!!!

6 Replies to Giving a dog pumpkin...

re: Giving a dog pumpkin...
By majahayes
On Tue Dec 10, 2013 02:20 PM
My mom has a ten year old german shepphard. She feeds her plain canned pumpkin on her dry food. Pumpkin is suppossed to help dogs with constipation and diarreah (sp?), it also helps their coat a bit as well. Just put a couple tablespoons in her food, it should help.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 10, 2013 02:45 PM
My mom gave it to her now-departed senior dog on the vet's advice, I remember. I wasn't living at home by then so I'm not sure if it helped, but I do know her trusted vet recommended it. You might be able to call yours and confirm without paying for a vet visit, but as far as I know it can't hurt and might help.
By Caulfieldmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 10, 2013 03:26 PM
I currently feed my 3-year-old goldendoodle a tablespoon of pumpkin with her dog food, and I've noticed a huge difference in her hunger satisfaction as well as her bowel movements. I definitely recommend it!
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:10 PM
Pumpkin, carrots, apples, spinach. Cooked or raw. If that doesn't work, try Miralax. It's just a stool softener, so you can't OD on it. That's the usual recommendation for chronic constipation. If that doesn't work, ask your vet about sodium docusate. It's a gelcap, and you can buy it at any drug store. For acute constipation, you can try mineral oil or petroleum jelly, but be prepared for your dog to crap all over the place.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:16 PM
I've given it to my JRT a couple times and it works for her. I have a senior husky/German shepherd and there have been times when she's needed pumpkin (or something similar) but she won't eat it. :/

But yes, it does work!
By RingingPhonePremium member
On Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:23 PM
My grandma fed her shitzhu pumpkin for years- it works!

ReplySendWatch