Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Modern Dance - General
I can't find anywhere where I can dance. Please help me with this!!
By dancedance27 Comments: 39, member since Wed Oct 23, 2013
On Tue Dec 10, 2013 04:12 PM

I live really in the middle of no where. I had to stop going to dance about 2 years ago which stopped my chances of ever being professional sadly. Now I would like to start dancing again but since I live out in the middle of no where there aren't any dance studios here. Could I pay someone to teach me for like an hour a day? If so how would I find anyone that could? If none of this is possible does any know any good Ballet and/or Contemporary dance DvDs?

4 Replies to I can't find anywhere where I can dance. Please help me with this!!

re: I can't find anywhere where I can dance. Please help me with this!!
On Wed Dec 11, 2013 09:46 AM
Really any ideas would be helpful.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Wed Dec 11, 2013 09:56 AM
I would check on craigslist, or look to see if your community has any kind of bulletin board or facebooks pages. Be sure you're specific with what kind of dance instruction you are looking for (modern, perhaps what styles of modern), and look around. It's possible that someone with training happens to have a different job and would be willing to work out an arrangement with you.
On Thu Dec 12, 2013 02:16 PM
Thank you for the idea. I will try to find someone hopefully so I can dance again.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Thu Dec 12, 2013 08:23 PM
Edited by toroandbruin (202876) on 2013-12-12 20:35:27
There are a number of excellent do-along dance videos out there to practice with if you have enough training to do them without injuring yourself or falling into bad habits. But if at all possible you do need to find a teacher or at least a colleague to team up with so as to observe each other and help to improve each other's technique.

When it comes to videos, I suggest getting a subscription to KineticFlix.com. When you find an especially great video, try to find it used on amazon.com and ebay.com to buy and build a library inexpensively. In ballet, I love the Finis Jhung videos and the David Howard videos. In modern, I especially like the 2 "Body Motion" modern dance DVDs by Cheeky Girls Productions. They're a company which specializes in training DVDs for belly dancers, but that doesn't mean these modern dance videos are "lightweight" -- they're quite a challenge.

For finding other people locally trained in dance you will need to use a lot of initiative. Try to found a local non-profit organization dedicated to learning and perpetuating all forms of dance. Send a message to all the phys-ed teachers in surrounding public schools. Post notices at all the sports supply stores. Ask all local doctors' offices and health care facilities to post a flyer and spread the word. (You've seen on these boards that a lot of dancers go into a health-care field.) If there are any theatrical organizations in the community get ahold of them, too. And if there's a local newspaper, find out who writes stories on the arts scene or the fitness scene and get them to do a story on your efforts to organize.

If you are the middle of nowhere you will have to be a pioneer in the community in order to achieve your objectives.

PS -- this is totally doable. A long time ago when I was a beginning French language teacher I desperately wanted to find other French speakers with whom to converse and keep up my skills. I not only approached other French teachers but interested a local columnist into running a story about an organizational get-together at a local restaurant. In addition to the teachers, a number of French expatriates showed up. Some in the group knew about the international group L'Alliance Francaise which supported the type of group we were trying to organize. Within a very short time we were a new chapter of L'Alliance with 50 members and it grew from there.

ReplySendWatch