Forum: Irish / Irish

Things an irish dancers will know!
By IzzyIRISH
On Thu Dec 12, 2013 07:54 AM

Im doing a peice for my englsih on a hobbie and i've chosen irish dancing - i have added my ideas but i would like a general survey of what the irish dancing community think!

1) Essential tips on being an Irish dancers

2) whats in your irish dance bag (classes)

3) whats in your irish dance bag (feis)

5) top 10 most inportant things an irish dancer needs to remember

thank you!

4 Replies to Things an irish dancers will know!

re: Things an irish dancers will know!
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 15, 2013 09:24 PM
1)Being an Irish Dancer means mastering a series of movements that aren't necessarily natural for your body to do, following strict time, to a specific style of music.
As Irish Dancers, we are constantly working to dance all moves in front of the body, with our legs and feet in a position meant to be used when the leg is moving to the side. We try to jump using only our feet to launch and land, rather than bending our knees and using our whole bodies. We strive to hold our upper bodies completely still, while having crazy movement in our legs and feet.

In my class dance bag are my practice shoes (hard and soft) dance tennies, 5 pairs of socks, three ankle braces, blister band aids, water bottle, hair ties, and random things that get left in there.

My feis bag has: competition shoes, flash pants (2 pair), socks (three pair) under shirt, tights (2 pair) wigs (6) makeup, hair ties, bobby pins, tiara (2), sock glue, extra crystals, glue, safety pins, tape, duct tape, whiskey flask, numbers from my last 5 (or more) competitions, medals from old competitions, water bottle.

Top 10 things for an Irish Dancers
10. Be able to recognize the music- is it a slip jig? reel? double jig?
9. Be able to count the music
8. know your steps
7. cross
6. turn out
5. arms down
4. head up and still (no spotting)
3. sound (from hard shoes)
2. height on leaps, throws, slices etc.
1. keep the love! This style of dance is great!
By tinydancer1988
On Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:24 PM
1) Essential tips- Practice, and do your best, but don't take it too seriously. You'll have ups and downs (I'm currently in a down) but if you don't enjoy dance and enjoy the journey, it won't be worth it.

2) whats in your irish dance bag (classes)- hard/soft shoes, dance sneakers, water bottle, practice notebook (to write down corrections), cell phone (no distractions!), headphones, extra socks, and my medical kit (ace bandage, KT tape, ankle and knee braces, shin splint cuffs, pain killers and a portable ice pack).

3) whats in your irish dance bag (feis)- everything. Everything that I can possibly fit. All the stuff that I bring to class, plus extras of everything (shoes included).

5) top 10 most inportant things an irish dancer needs to remember

1. Listen to your teacher.
2. Take critiques home and work on them
3. Stretch! Stretch, stretch, stretch!
4. If you fall down twice, get up three times. Eventually you'll get it.
5. One bad result at a feis shouldn't ruin your season. One bad season of feising shouldn't ruin your career.
6. If you stop loving dance, it might be time to take a break (either a full break, or just a break for competing). You may need time to try some other things, and re-discover how much you loving dancing. It will be there when you get back.
7. Don't take your dance friends for granted.
8. If you injure it, ICE IT! (this is not applicable in all situations, but for the most part, it's a good rule of thumb)
9. You're never too old to dance
10. Don't let anyone ever tell you to stop. If you want to be a dancer, don't let anything get in your way.
By AnRinceoirRuamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 16, 2013 05:44 PM
Edited by AnRinceoirRua (229350) on 2013-12-16 17:46:55
Edited by AnRinceoirRua (229350) on 2013-12-16 17:47:54
Edited by AnRinceoirRua (229350) on 2013-12-16 17:59:08
1) First and foremost, being an Irish dancer requires a deep understanding of and connection to Irish music. You can't help but dance when you hear it... but mastering this style of dance is incredibly difficult. It requires relentless hard work, dedication, talent, and love.

2) Hardshoes, softshoes, ballet flats, sometimes my dance sneakers, leg warmers, black tights, poodle socks, elastics, toe separators, toe tape, black and white electrical tape, duct tape, a gluestick, a small pair of scissors, bobby pins, a marble, an ACE bandage, an ankle brace, way too many Therabands, a Foot Rubz ball, arnica gel, a water bottle, an iPod, earbuds, and a notebook.

3) I've never competed, but I imagine it would be similar to what I bring to practice or class. Probably makeup and hair stuff as well, for gettin' pretty.

4) My top 10:
1. Listen to the music and dance with it, not to it.
2. Learn to recognize the different types of dances and count out the music.
3. Watch other dancers, particularly those who are better than you, and learn from them.
4. Practice a LOT. You need to have the dance in your muscles, not just your brain, to perform confidently under pressure. That takes time and repetition.
5. Focus on the basics: carriage, turnout, cross, point, energy, and rhythm. They will take you far.
6. Utilize cross-training to improve your strength, stamina, and flexibility.
7. Be kind to your body. Warm up, cool down, stretch, and don't ignore injuries. It's not worth the risk.
8. Take competition and performance seriously, but don't let it define you as a dancer.
9. Take criticism without fuss and apply it.
10. Always be respectful and gracious toward your teachers. Thank them after every class!
re: Things an irish dancer will know!
By Bobbee
On Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:32 AM
First of all, please correct your English:
Things an Irish dancer will know!
I'm doing a piece for English on a hobby and I've chosen Irish dancing - I have added my ideas but I would like a general survey of what the Irish dancing community thinks!

1) Essential tips on being an Irish dancers
- Take the time to warmup - something I have neglected to do
- Discipline. This is what makes you practice on your own.
- Consider criticism to be a gift, not something to feel bad about. Apply the critique to your dancing to experience improvement.

2) what is in your Irish dance bag (classes)
Hard and soft shoes, socks, duct-tape, water
3) what is in your Irish dance bag (feis)
Everything I had for class, plus wig, dress, number, makeup, food,ipod, maybe a book.
5) top 10 most important things an Irish dancer needs to remember
- again, warm up first
- practice enough that you don't have to think too much about what you are doing while competing
- practice with good technique. I think its better to not practice than to practice with sloppy technique. If you are too tired, it might be better to run instead.
- turnout
- point feet
- timing
- good diet and hydration (don't try to make up for diet with exercise or you will just become unhealthy)
- crossover
- smile. You don't want pictures of yourself grimacing while dancing
- crosstrain. Taking a day or two off dancing to swim is better (imo) than dancing on painful feet.
thank you!

ReplySendWatch