Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys PG-13

Girls & Guys PG-13
Gift for someone after hysterectomy?
By Tiggerpants Comments: 933, member since Fri Jan 05, 2007
On Fri Dec 13, 2013 01:51 PM

This past few weeks has been the roughest ever for various reasons that probably require a thread of their own, but last night my mum phoned me and said she'd been having tests at the hospital for an abdominal mass. It's not cancer, but she will require a hysterectomy in the new year. She's feeling pretty low about it and I've just moved 3 hours away from home so I'm feeling pretty dreadful I can't be there to give her a hug (8 days and I'm home!!!).

I'm going to take some leave when she has the op and go home to help my Dad out but over the next few weeks I want to put together a sort of gift basket for her for when she comes out of hospital. I've never really had experience of someone who's been laid up after surgery so I'm turning to you lovely DDNers. What sort of stuff did you or your mum/dad/friend/etc appreciate when you/they had to take some bed rest? She has an iPad so I'm thinking maybe I could sub her up to LoveFilm or something since she might want to watch some stuff in bed and there's no TV in their bedroom. Books? A selection of magazines? What else?

xXx

(Sorry if this is posted in entirely the wrong place, I wasn't really sure where it should go...)

7 Replies to Gift for someone after hysterectomy?

re: Gift for someone after hysterectomy?
By wembley Comments: 310, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Fri Dec 13, 2013 03:25 PM
When my mum had a hysterectomy I filled my parents' freezer with meals which I had cooked and frozen for them.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Fri Dec 13, 2013 04:29 PM
You could include a hot water bottle that had a cute cover over it.
By KaydeeJayde Comments: 190, member since Thu Jul 21, 2011
On Fri Dec 13, 2013 08:02 PM
Speaking to my mum who's had a hysterectomy years and years ago, she can't think of anything much for a gift basket, but she mentioned that lots of help with housework and things is eternally helpful because you're not meant to do anything too strenuous.

All I can think of for a gift basket is maybe a nice big coffee mug with some hot chocolate sachets it it, some easy, healthy snacks that she can keep by her bed so she doesn't have to get up every time she wants something to nibble on. The magazines are a good idea, maybe a good book if she's into reading. Puzzle books if she's into those…

Mum did mention she felt pretty down about it, so what about something to lift her spirits, a nice piece of jewellery that she can wear all the time (something more casual) or a nice new piece of clothing if you're clued up on her sizing and what she likes to wear.

Mum did say that as soon as she was out of the hospital though, she was pretty much up and about, there wasn't a whole lot of bed rest, it was just that she had to be careful. Then again, she was in hospital for a while afterwards because of another issue and this was something like 17 years ago, so things may have changed.

I hope this helps. All the best :)
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Fri Dec 13, 2013 08:37 PM
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2013-12-13 20:42:13
I had a hysterectomy 2.5 years ago. I was lucky enough to have my husband (then fiance). If she lives alone, I'd suggest a couple of frozen lasagnas/zitis/casseroles. I can give you some easy casserole ideas if you'd like.

Everything waist height or higher. Mine was done abdominally, so I couldn't bend down for a week or so.

A gift certificate for a cleaning service. Keep an eye on Groupon/Living Social if you live in the US. After having major surgery, the last thing she will want to do is housework.

A new pillow. If she has to cough or laugh, she can press the pillow into her stomach, it helps A LOT.

A build-a-bear. The night before my surgery, hubby took me to build-a-bear. I picked out a cat, an outfit for her and named her "Spayed". (The guy working there looked at me like I was crazy) Snuggling something/my husband is incredibly comforting to me, so it helped reduce my anxiety a lot.

The biggest thing? COMPANY. I love my husband more than life itself, but I still loved it when friends came to see me. You kinda run out of things to talk about when you're with someone 24/7. Seeing my friends helped keep me sane.

ETA: A nice pair of comfy sweat pants.

You'll probably think I'm crazy for this one, maternity clothes. I got so swollen after my surgery (I looked about 4-5 months pregnant), not only did my regular jeans not fit, but I was too tender to have anything press on my stomach. When we went out to the store or to eat, I'd wear my maternity shorts. I'd look good (rather than looking like a slob in sweats) and I'd be relatively comfy.
By Tiggerpants Comments: 933, member since Fri Jan 05, 2007
On Sat Dec 14, 2013 07:33 AM
Thanks guys, I think the amount of mobility she'll have will be dependent on whether they can do the op via keyhole or not. She'll have my Dad there and I have 3 days of annual left so I'll cook some stuff for them to freeze when I go some to visit. Casserole ideas would be great :)

So I'm going to add a pair of comfy sweats, maybe a loose nightie and a blanket for her to wrap up in as well as a teddy.

xXx
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Tue Dec 24, 2013 01:12 PM
This might sound like an odd one...

iheartguts.com . . .

I have a kidney condition and have been hospitalized a few times and it really got me down a lot. My fiancé bought me the kidney one (iheartguts.com . . .) and it made me giggle with the puns it came with. It's a light hearted present, but really depends on how she feels about it closer to the date. A friend of mine had her ovaries removed and she bought herself one as a "mascot" to get her through surgery/hospital etc.

Otherwise, a pair of really comfy (elasticated is the key!) lounge pants. How about something for after surgery? A voucher to have her hair done or something... Hospital can make you come away feeling pretty yuck about yourself, and for some women a hysterectomy can something come away feeling "less of a woman" (or so my gyno has told me, and I can imagine that).
By DanceJAMPremium member Comments: 79, member since Fri Jun 04, 2010
On Mon Jan 06, 2014 01:41 PM
Get a wonderful flowering plant....they are always appropriate.

ReplySendWatch