Forum: Irish / Irish

Help my neck/head kind of sticks out when I dance
By Nickyvicky5
On Sat Dec 14, 2013 05:14 PM

Help my head or neck (not really sure) almost sticks out when I dance don't know how to keep it back can someone give me help and/or advice

3 Replies to Help my neck/head kind of sticks out when I dance

re: Help my neck/head kind of sticks out when I dance
By seannettaPremium member
On Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:47 AM
This problem usually arises from keeping your neck and shoulders and head too stiff when you dance, because you're lifting or holding yourself in the wrong place. I see a lot of dancers whose necks stiffen and heads stick out when they leap especially -- it's because you're trying to do the leap with the wrong part of your body, essentially, and overcompensating while trying to keep your posture steady. Your probably need to build your core muscles more, so that you can hold yourself steady with your core and then relax your shoulders and neck/head. Does that make sense? It's difficult to describe not in person, but some core stability exercises would probably help you so that you're engaging those muscles while you dance.

In the meantime, try just practicing dance while keeping your shoulders, head and neck as relaxed as possible. Don't worry if your posture slumps at first -- it'll take some figuring out. Take a deep breath, lift your shoulders up, then drop them as you exhale. Think of your head as just floating on top of your shoulders as you dance. Don't get too frustrated if you can't fix this problem right away -- it takes a while to un-do a persistent habit.
By Irishdancerfly
On Sun Dec 29, 2013 08:45 PM
I had some problems with this until I did ballet for a semester. My teacher told us to drop our shoulder blades down and apart, and naturally stretch our necks up to elongate them. Just make sure you're not tense. It feels a little strange at first of you're used to slouching a bit, but once you get in the habit, it'll really help your dancing posture.
By charmingdancer
On Mon Dec 30, 2013 07:23 AM
I agree with the two comments above. Also, I think it helps to imagine a string that runs straight up from your chest through your neck and up out of the top of your head. This visual has helped me in the past, as well as making sure my shoulders are "down and apart", as mentioned above. In addition to that, I know it's sometimes hard to feel if your neck or head is tense (which is what is causing your head to stick forward a bit), so try tensing up on purpose immediately followed by relaxing your shoulders and neck completely to get a better sense on what it feels like to be tensing because sometimes you may not be aware that your head is sticking forward. Does that make sense?

ReplySendWatch