Forum: Arts / Books

Books
Why do adults read Young Adult fiction?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sun Dec 15, 2013 02:30 PM

I am a almost 24 year old in LOVE with Young Adult Fiction. I really loved the Hunger Games and currently I am starting the Matched Trilogy. I read books from all genres, but today I picked up 8 Young Adult fiction.

I am curious if you read Young Adult Fiction and if you enjoy it or not?

13 Replies to Why do adults read Young Adult fiction?

re: Why do adults read Young Adult fiction?
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Sun Dec 15, 2013 02:49 PM
Love it. Not only young adult fiction books, but movies and TV too.

We're not alone.

foreveryoungadult.com
By saaammiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 440, member since Thu Apr 01, 2010
On Sun Dec 15, 2013 02:50 PM
Love love love it.

But I don't really know why. Let me think about it and come back later.
re: Why do adults read Young Adult fiction? (karma: 1)
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Sun Dec 15, 2013 03:29 PM
I read anything that looks good, period. Kids' books, young adult, adult, whatever. Those categories only exist for marketing purposes, and to help parents know what's appropriate for their kids. Otherwise they don't really mean anything. A good book is a good book, you know?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Dec 15, 2013 03:38 PM
I do mostly as a "palate cleanser". They are quick reads that don't require much thought. I read them after something "heavy". I use some adult books the same way. A light, quick read.
By Merfi Comments: 3099, member since Wed Jan 18, 2006
On Sun Dec 15, 2013 04:02 PM
I think, for me, a large part of it is that YA fiction allows me to just relax and enjoy the story, it's less self-conscious than adult fiction often is. And of course it's also partly about the remniniscing too, since so many of those YA books are set in high school.
By Bril Comments: 150, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Sun Dec 15, 2013 07:20 PM
I like to read it as a break from the list of classics I'm working my way through.
Even then, I think it's only labelled as young adult because it has less mature content and ..more polite (?) less vulgar maybe (?) language because of the audience.
I mean, the hunger games might be young adult but the bigger themes definitely aren't immature. It's just presented a little gentler. And my furrent favourite btw.
I also like reading the mortal instruments series. How's that for young adult?
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Sun Dec 15, 2013 07:41 PM
Because the story is straightforward, with little sex (or at least little explicit sex), and fewer episodes of graphic violence.

I love YA fiction. There are times when I sigh and roll my eyes, because the author thinks that YA readers are idiots, but most of the time They are great stories that don't get caught up in trying to be the next "Great American Novel"
By LizDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1140, member since Fri Jan 06, 2006
On Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:48 AM
I read Young Adult fiction! Not exclusively; I read a lot of other things too. But I love young adult books, mostly because what I look for in a book is really excellent storytelling and strong characters that come to life on the page. Sometimes adult fiction can be very grim, and sometimes it can also become more concerned with appearing "literary" or showing off the author's turn of phrase than with good storytelling. Don't get me wrong, I love words and I really appreciate an author that can use language artfully to reveal something profound. But sometimes there's a very fine line between profound and pretentious. Young Adult novels almost never cross over into pretentious.

What Y.A. novels can be very good at is telling an entertaining, gripping story that makes you really feel the emotions that the character is feeling. Or they tell a story that feels like your own story, with characters who are experiencing things that feel very familiar to you. That's why I read Young Adult books, and why there are books from my childhood and teenage years that I just keep going back to.

This discussion reminds me of an article I read a little bit ago, written by a novelist whose publisher redefined him as a Young Adult writer: opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com . . .
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Dec 16, 2013 01:54 PM
Hmm...maybe you guys could help me out in case I ever get asked this again. A few months ago I got a readers advisory question that stumped me. It was a mother looking for books with her two teenage daughters. She was looking in the YA section. She said they liked Twilight and the Hunger Games. I suggested City of Bones, because I knew there was a copy on the shelf. She took one look of the cover and said, "What about something more wholesome." There is no sex in that damn book. In the entire series making out is as far as the characters go (at least what we as the reader sees). Twilight irks me to no end, but while in the last one it does have sex, they are married and had waited to be married. But the Hunger Games is kids killing kids...so, she was okay with them reading that but not a...oh, never mind.

I don't think there was anything wrong with my suggestion. But after she shot me down on that one I couldn't think of anything. You can't base it off of the cover. What would you suggest is someone is looking for a "wholesome" YA?
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Mon Dec 16, 2013 08:13 PM
It's easy and quick to read, and doesn't require a lot of thought, but often is actually really good (unlike easier/quicker adult fiction). I love it!
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Mon Dec 30, 2013 07:53 PM
I read it, and I honestly just go for what I love the stories of.

Sometimes I feel adult novels have to randomly push a sex scene in or try to be loftily literary that it clouds the stories or makes the characters not even feel real.

Also, YA novels are a way quicker read as they are less heavy typically.
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:46 AM
Majere, I agree that would be frustrating. It sounds like the Mom had never picked up a Twilight or Hunger Games book. If City of Bones isn't "wholesome" then surely they aren't. If you could go back in time, or if the situation presents again, perhaps The Giver might be a good choice? It is another dystopian YA fiction, but the big medal on the cover indicating that it is award-winning might pass the test?
On Thu Jan 09, 2014 05:11 PM
highlandlassie wrote:

Majere, I agree that would be frustrating. It sounds like the Mom had never picked up a Twilight or Hunger Games book. If City of Bones isn't "wholesome" then surely they aren't. If you could go back in time, or if the situation presents again, perhaps The Giver might be a good choice? It is another dystopian YA fiction, but the big medal on the cover indicating that it is award-winning might pass the test?

That is a good suggestion. I did think that Newberry or Sequoya (this is probably just an Oklahoma thing) award winners, but the lady didn't give me a chance, to browse and look for the stickers.

It's also frustrating when people come in looking for Christian Fiction and they get made that there isn't a separate section for that. Or that we just can't name off authors with out looking it up.

ReplySendWatch