Forum: Arts / Body Art

Body Art
I don't know why I get pierced - some questions (belly & rook)
By Nicci_member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1667, member since Fri Mar 28, 2003
On Tue Dec 17, 2013 01:55 AM

So I got my belly button and rook pierced a week ago. Belly button was fine for the first few days (this is the third time I've had it done, so I'm being really careful with it.) It hasn't hurt at all, but yesterday when I was cleaning it with a q-tip and the solution the piercer gave me, I noticed the top ball was really red, and the ball was pressing on the skin pretty badly. It doesn't hurt, but the redness freaked me out a bit. The last 2 rejected, I think mainly due to bad care, but I've been following the care instructions to a T. Can you get bioflex/plastic bar bells? Is it worth seeing the piercer to see if I can change to that? I really don't want this one to reject!

As to my rook. Is it normal to have pain in it every day. Today is the first day I haven't had any painkillers at all, but it still hurts. Not just a "dull in the back of your mind" pain, but a horrible horrible pain. I can't see it when I look in the mirror, but my friend said it didn't look infected or anything. I can't even touch the top of my ear without it hurting.

I dislike getting pierced. I think I'm more of a tattoo person, lol.

6 Replies to I don't know why I get pierced - some questions (belly & rook)

re: I don't know why I get pierced - some questions (belly & rook)
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Tue Dec 17, 2013 09:35 PM
Were you pierced with implant grade titanium? If not, I'd seek a better piercer and get high quality jewelry put in. It's still disputed whether or not bioplast/flex is really appropriate for a healing piercing. Implant grade titanium that is "certified titanium (Ti6Al4V ELI) that is ASTM F-136 compliant or ISO 5832-3 compliant, or commercially pure titanium that is ASTM F-67 compliant" (safepiercing.org) is your best bet for a healing piercing.

Q-tips can leave tiny cotton fibers on your piercing which can irritate it and really should be avoided. Also, it's really best to clean your piercing by doing sea salt soaks twice a day for 5-10 minutes each soak with 1/4th of a teaspoon of non-iodized sea salt to 8oz of hot water. For your navel you can pour some into a clean shot glass, bend over at the waist, hold the glass tightly to your stomach and then lean back and it will form a suction to soak it properly. For your rook you can use a thick piece of folded up paper towel which won't have the same risk with cotton as a q-tip or cotton ball.

Redness really is completely normal...your piercings are only a week old and both will take 6-12 months to heal completely. It's not abnormal for piercings to have a lot of soreness when fresh, especially when it's through thick cartilage like the rook.
By TheStoryTellermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Mon May 19, 2008
On Thu Dec 19, 2013 09:47 PM
I have my rook pierced and have for about 7 months. Pain in the first week was pretty bad. If it starts getting really really red and quite hot, go see a doctor. It's normal for the temperature to go up a little bit around the piercing, but if your entire ear is really hot, go see a medical professional. As I said I got mine done 7 months ago and it's only started doing really well recently. Cartilage can be very painful and take a long time to heal though so be prepared to be very patient with it.
By Nicci_member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1667, member since Fri Mar 28, 2003
On Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:26 PM
I tend to react to jewellery, which is why I thought bioflex might be better. As for cleaning with a q-tip, it's more using it to move the bar away from my skin so the solution can get around it better.

Woke up this morning to a bleeding rook. I think my partner accidentally knocked me in my sleep :/

The redness is like a red circle around the hole up the top of my belly, and then a white circle inside of that, which was what was making me nervous.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Sun Dec 22, 2013 03:29 PM
Implant grade titanium is the same level of titanium that doctors put into people's bodies when they need metal implants which is why reputable piercers use it...it's extremely extremely rare for someone to have a reaction to it.

If you're soaking your piercing properly there is no need to use a q-tip. And it doesn't matter what you're using it for, the can still irritate your piercing. Ive been pierced 29 times, I'm not pulling this out of my butt. The Association of Professional Piercers says the same thing.

Redness and white coloring are normal.
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Sun Dec 22, 2013 03:33 PM
um, I NEED to share this:

I have titanium implants in the left side of my head and in my lumbar spine. My body had some exception to them, residual aches,stabbing pain, swelling, etc.

Be careful. I would recommend maybe attaching via a bandaid or other GENTLE adhesive to see if the skin has problems.

sorry people are going through this.
Isn't there some sort of certificate or notice by the Board of Health that the piercing place is permitted to operate?

S.
On Mon Dec 23, 2013 02:39 AM
Sweet RE redness and whiteness. I couldn't find anything when I was googling, so I wasn't sure.

Rook is all good now, haven't had any pain for 2 days which is good. I didn't remember my helix being so painful so I was freaking out that it shouldn't be THAT sore.

And Brittany, I wasn't saying you were pulling it out of your butt, just clarifying what I was doing so people didn't think I was actually using it to clean, and wanted to go on and on about it :)

ReplySendWatch