Forum: Ballet / Ballet Videos

Ballet Videos
A video of myself dancing the Odalisque variation from Le Corsaire
By Joezy Comments: 22, member since Sun Apr 17, 2011
On Tue Dec 17, 2013 02:30 PM

Hello there!

As a surprise for my grandparents (they never really saw me dance), I filmed my dancing today. Using YouTube, I learned myself the Odalisque variation from Le Corsaire yesterday, so today was the first day doing this variation on pointe. It's definitely not perfect (does that word even exist in a dancer's dictionary? :P ), but I must say that I felt proud how far I came.

Some background: I did ballet as a toddler, but I gave up after a few years. At the age of 16, I decided I wanted to start again, so I signed up for classes at the local dance studio. They only offered one hour of ballet and one hour of tap and jazz a week, but almost every evening, I was or dancing, stretching or watching ballet videos at home. After one year, I moved up from the worst student in my class to one of the best. At the age of 18, I moved to the university, where I could add three hours of ballet to my weekly schedule. It was still not as much as I wanted, but I enjoyed every moment I could dance. Last year, that teacher unfortunately had to quit due to her own studies. She was replaced by a teacher that I really find incapable of teaching. It feels like even I know more about ballet than she does. I have a hard time taking corrections (if she gives one) from her, since I don't really trust her knowledge. It was difficult to keep myself motivated, but today I felt that sparkle, that love for dancing again. And although I'm not as good as many of you her, I felt proud today. :)

So, here's the link: www.youtube.com . . . (it's a compilation from three different recordings).
*Sorry for the bad quality, my video editor made the quality even worse than it was.
*I know I have to pointe my toes more, certainly in the pique turns, ough!
*Constructive criticism is more than welcome! :D

Joezy

4 Replies to A video of myself dancing the Odalisque variation from Le Corsaire

re: A video of myself dancing the Odalisque variation from Le Corsaire
By dance4ballet Comments: 1202, member since Mon Dec 03, 2007
On Tue Dec 17, 2013 06:22 PM
I was very surprised when I opened this video!!! For someone who has only been taking ballet classes for a relatively short time, and for only several hours a week, I was pleasantly surprised!

You have a wonderful musicality and I can see you really love to dance! It was so lovely and pleasing to see!

I also loved your posture, the way you carrier yourself, and you have a lovely port de bras and epaulment.

You also have a lovely body, very suited to ballet, so you are lucky :)

There are technique issues as you have pointed out yourself, especially with the feet and turnout. However, you can't really expect much more with your level of training and I feel you should be very proud :)

There are some points where you really aren't over your box, which was scarey, and I would have preferred to see this performed on flats where I feel it still would have been a very pretty combination.

Best of luck!
On Wed Dec 18, 2013 01:58 AM
Thanks for watching and taking the time to reply! And a big thank you for your kind words, it really made my day! :D

About the not over the box thing. I forgot to mention that these pointes are fairly new and not really broken in yet. Normally, getting over the box isn't a big problem. But yeah, maybe I should have done it on flats. I hate it myself to watch other people who can't get over their box, hoping they don't break something! :P

And the turnout is definitely something I need to work on! I have quite open hips, but holding my turnout, certainly in the center, is still one off my struggles.

Thanks again! :D
By dance4ballet Comments: 1202, member since Mon Dec 03, 2007
On Wed Dec 18, 2013 05:18 AM
That's okay, I believe the times you weren't over your box were mainly in the turn sequences near the ends of them, which could be due to fatigue too.

I re watched it and your arms and carriage are remarkable for someone who started so late and limited training. You must have had very good teachers (I am a stickler for nice arms and yours are very nice!)

You do have a certain grace and musicality about you of a dancer well beyond the years of your training :) you should be proud!!!
On Sat Dec 21, 2013 07:46 AM
Aww, I couldn't stop smiling while reading your reply! Thank you very much! Last year, I had a very good teacher indeed, but unfortunately, she had to quit due to her studies. I also learned a lot just by analysing en observing every movement in the mirror (it's even beginning to look like a dance mirror addiction ;))

ReplySendWatch