Forum: Irish / Irish

Hanging leaps
By Festivaldancer1
On Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:33 PM

Does anyone have any advice on how to improve hanging leaps?

4 Replies to Hanging leaps

re: Hanging leaps
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Dec 23, 2013 02:37 PM
You need to squeeze all your muscles. A strong core is key to the "freeze" effect. Do planks, sit ups/crunches, etc to build up a stronger core.

It's also a matter of whipping up the front leg as high as you can and tucking the back leg quickly. This will take practice and you make want to practice between two chairs.
Another trick to help would be working on storks/birds (the same jump except you don't switch feet coming out of it). These are a bit easier to hold because you have more time. Once you get the hang of that and can hold them then move on to freezing the leaps. When you do the leap think of doing the stork but switching legs at the very last second when coming down.

Good luck :)
By SamCartermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Dec 23, 2013 02:41 PM
There is a helpful sticky on this in the Technique and Training section:

www.dance.net . . .
By boleyngrrl
On Mon Dec 23, 2013 05:22 PM
Edited by boleyngrrl (156471) on 2013-12-23 17:34:35
One thing I've recently discovered that has finally gotten mine up to snuff, not sure it will work for you but it's helped me finally "get it": Push off with the back leg as hard as you can. This will help you get a) air and b) your leg up more quickly. When you're almost at the height of your jump, lock your front and back legs in position. You're not going for the highest front leg yet, just perfect form. High front legs can come later. Then, as you start to come back down, snap out your back leg.

The first two posts are extremely helpful--my advice was basically the same, honestly, just my way of approaching/explaining it that might help you if you've read the other two and understood, but haven't been able to nail them yet. :) Good luck!

Check Mitchell Hodges in this POC--you can really see him push and then freeze right at the top. And if you watch them jump to the front of the stage at the beginning you can see it as well. :) www.youtube.com . . .
By Festivaldancer1
On Thu Jan 09, 2014 07:01 AM
Thanks guys, all great advice! :) I've been practising and practising and practising, and I'm almost getting it - finally!! :)

ReplySendWatch