Forum: Arts / Pets

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Pets
I might have asked this already: What do your pets do to get your attention, for feeding?
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Mon Dec 23, 2013 09:04 PM
Edited by ShadowLunaCat (106208) on 2013-12-23 21:18:36 well, what could work for a word choice here? "four legged, bewinged" -- griffins? pegasi? pet friends? something like that. the more variations, the better things get!

It's 11pm. My girl Missy just came in, leaned up against the bed, and did some claw sharpening. Then she came over to my chair, leaned back, and showed me her claws (on the chair arm.)

Next, she is going to jump up on the back of the computer desk, and maybe knock something off.

Then, she comes over to me, and goes up on her hind legs, let's me pat her back, and then reaches up with her paws, claws EXTENDED, to give me that infamous hint. Sometimes she gives me a gentle bite. I reach down and feel... teeth.

Lastly, she lets out a VERY melodious, fruity Purrrrrrrrrrrrt!

What do your "non human" friends do when they feel "Hey! It's time to Eat!" ?

Shadow.

29 Replies to I might have asked this already: What do your pets do to get your attention, for feeding?

re: I might have asked this already: What do your pets do to get your attention, for feeding? (karma: 1)
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Mon Dec 23, 2013 09:57 PM
my cat River starts with gentle reminders, like a head butt, or winding through your legs.

If that doesn't work, she and Jasper begin to demand dinner with meows.

When we're trying to sleep in, and she doesn't want to wait, she will go to a plant she knows will make her vomit, and delicately nibble off a portion of a leaf. Then she will come to wherever we are and pointedly puke on the carpet. There's nothing that will get you up and going faster in the morning than the sound of a cat getting ready to hurl.
re: I might have asked this already: What do your pets do to get your attention, for feeding? (karma: 1)
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Mon Dec 23, 2013 09:58 PM
My cat stares at me and follows me around the house.

My dog, sits on my face.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:12 AM
Nothing really, they get fed at roughly the same times each day - Nickle will usually go straight to her dish but Addie will sometimes leave it until she's ready. Nickle is a grazer and has little bits often, whereas Addie likes hers in a couple of big sittings. Nic will sit in her place while you're prepping though which is adorable - they have a little mat which the bowls sit on and she'll sit ON the mat until the bowl reappears with stuff in it. Cats, by the way.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Tue Dec 24, 2013 03:52 AM
My cats get fed at the same time every day, but they keep trying to push for an earlier dinner time.

TC will sit beside me and put one claw in my leg. If that doesn't work, he tried again. And if THAT doesn't work, he'll reach up, and apply that same claw to my ribs. If all else fails, he'll sit on my keyboard until I pay attention to him.

If I'm walking around the house, he'll be literally underfoot. This is a new development, and has resulted in me tripping and falling. And yelling.

Rizzo will wake me in the middle of the night for food. Usually by sitting heavily on me and applying a claw to any exposed skin she can find. she needs to be hefted bodily off the bed at dinner time, but when the 4am munchies hit, she wants to be walked to the food bowl NOW.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Tue Dec 24, 2013 03:53 AM
My dog headbutts me or tries to stick his head between my knees and give me puppy dog eyes. He's 9 years old.

Every night I give him a half bowl of milk and he loves his milk. If I happen to forget he'd subtly warn me by either sitting on me, dropping his bowl in front of me, try to act adorable...if none of it works, the vocal complaints begin and he starts to do some serious reverse psychology on me by pretending to not be concerned about me.
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1138, member since Fri Jul 06, 2007
On Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:52 PM
My dog doesn't do anything.
I always feed at random times and in general use his food as treats for training.

Attention seeking behaviors (barking, pawing, sitting and staring, etc) annoy me so I try and avoid rewarding them :)

The cat is a lost cause, he stares to the pantry door until food magically appears in his bowl.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Thu Dec 26, 2013 03:10 PM
My cat knows where her food is and can open the door, so if she's hungry we'll hear a cabinet door being pawed open then slammed closed over and over and over and over and over.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Thu Dec 26, 2013 04:08 PM
If I am at the computer he will come and put his nose under my wrist and then flick his head so my wrist goes flying in the air. If I ignore him he'll do it again. Then he starts dancing around with his feet, and if I am still not paying attention he'll start making high pitched whale noises (which he learned from my chocolate lab when he was a puppy.) He has an internal clock...always knows when it is 3:30, though he will go lay down if I tell him to when I am in the middle of something like a conference call and I can't do it immediately.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Thu Dec 26, 2013 06:37 PM
If I am trying to sleep late on a non-workday the dog will jump on and off the bed, barking, and also jump on me. The cat will walk up and down me and also nose my face, lick my face and bat my face. If my husband is up I tell them to go pester him but they will settle only for me feeding them. It's impossible to sleep late.
By fairy_dustmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6584, member since Sun Jan 20, 2002
On Thu Dec 26, 2013 08:40 PM
The cats that have lived in my apartment (roommates' cats, others that I've catsat for friends, and the cat I temporarily adopted last year) had different methods. Most would just follow me around and cling to me, but the most memorable were Stella (old roomie's cat) and Gloria (friend's cat that I catsat for 1.5 months)

Stella would get clingy, then climb on the table and attempt to eat my cereal.

Gloria would follow me around and meow non-stop till I put food in the bowl.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Fri Dec 27, 2013 06:57 AM
My cat meows, then rubs her head against her bag of food ("see, look, I love food, give me some"), and often jumps up on the bed to be really "nice" to us and then runs back to her food bowl if we move a muscle. If she's feeling really desperate, she walks over increasingly more annoying things, starts chewing on inappropriate substances or jump up on surfaces she's not supposed to so we pay attention to her.

Luckily she's a great self-feeder so we just keep her bowl full for her most of the time. Now, how she reacts when she can see ONE TINY SLIVER of the bottom is a different story...
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Fri Dec 27, 2013 08:06 AM
My dogs just glare at me while I'm making coffee. They basically demand food as soon as they wake up!

When we had cats they never had to let us know they were hungry. We left it out in a designated spot in an extra bathroom.
By TheStoryTellermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Mon May 19, 2008
On Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:49 PM
Teddy follows me and and stares at me. Doesn't matter what I'm doing he will always follow and stare. There's one of two things he wants when he does that. Either to be let outside to run around and bark, or to be fed.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sun Dec 29, 2013 01:00 AM
When its kibble time, Sir Woofington (not his real name) just Barks-A-Lot.
re: I might have asked this already: What do your pets do to get your attention, for feeding?
On Wed Jan 01, 2014 08:30 PM
^^ Tried to give you karma. Karma Hand out module said that I'd done up to my quota, but I'll make sure to give you some after midnight.. if that works.

All of your replies have been super interesting and great fun to read. I've always been curious about how animal friends and their human friends communicate. I've had a myriad of cats over the years, so I kind of know the personalities, but it's always fun to hear from other people what their pets do, and how either side communicates their demands.

I forgot to add a couple, and tell me if this sounds familiar:

-- My girl Missy does something that I haven't seen many cats do. If she's going to drink water she kneads or paws in front of the water bowl before she puts her head in to drink. Also, purring with her and patting her while she prepares to do this I find she wants.

-- When I have put the dish down for her to enjoy her "moist" which I give to her in the mornings, Miss will want me to pat her, and sort of hand groom her down her back. If I stop, Miss will look up at me and say "You stopped, What gives?" And, if she is enjoying what she's eating, she indicates that in two ways: 1. she'll wrap her tail around my forearm and squeeze, 2. she lets out a REALLY fruity "approving" meow.

I've asked some questions in your karma ratings, please share your responses when you can. Part of my curiosity is how and when and in what circumstances cats and their human companions can interact with eachother, and to what extent, and using what kinds of reward material.

I use a form of "meow" communication, verbal "purrrts", chirrups, hand gestures, whistles, head gestures, body language movements, each movement depicting what I'd like for Miss to do. Thus far we have a pretty good thing going.

If any of you can think up other ideas on how you communicate with your friends, please share!

Shadow.
re: I might have asked this already: What do your pets do to get your attention, for feeding?
By TheStoryTellermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Mon May 19, 2008
On Wed Jan 01, 2014 09:06 PM
I attached a picture of my dog. This is exactly what he does when he wants food.

He stands and stares, ears up, eyes wide. He doesn't usually wag his tail. He just stares.
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Thu Jan 02, 2014 09:17 AM
We have three pugs. They get fed twice a day, at the same times, so they don't usually need to alert us about that.

For water, two of them have an adorable/annoying habit. Their water bowl is one of those big, heavy, crock type things. They somehow pick it up, and then drop it on the kitchen floor. They repeat this, gradually moving closer and closer to the sink until we come fill it up. I have come home many a time to an empty water bowl by the kitchen sink.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Thu Jan 02, 2014 09:42 AM
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2014-01-02 10:30:36
Shadow, to answer the question in your karma comment - if we're late coming home, or indeed getting up on the weekend, they still don't do a great deal. Perhaps it's because they were feral and then lived in rescue for a while but they don't really fuss, miaow or scratch or anything when they're hungry. They might get a bit restless and roam around the kitchen by way of a hint, but we'd feed them straight away when we got in anyway. And if we're still in bed late they can't get to us as they are shut downstairs overnight.

If anything, they only respond to OUR hints for feeding. I can be chopping up Addie's chicken in the kitchen and yet they'll only move when they hear me pick up the bowls (I always shake the bowls if there are some leftover kibbles so that they get the idea), and in the morning they'll come running when they hear you put the kibbles into the bowls.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:22 AM
Minerva meows whenever you look at her and she'll be standing by the food container or the fridge. She knows where mama keeps her food. ;)
On Fri Jan 03, 2014 01:41 AM
Edited by ShadowLunaCat (106208) on 2014-01-03 01:47:48 added more about the field.
in sequence, if I may:

Storyteller -- it seems to me that as your dog (who is quite handsome) is facing out of the kitchen and giving you the STARE that he is saying (and I could be wrong) "all fun suspended until you give me some food. After that we can resume play."
boy, he can say SOO much from that one look! "You will feed me -- NOW." Wow

Louise - your reply was fascinating. When I read it I had this impression that those two were quite independent, but, natch the sound of kibble going into the dish -- "lunch!" Do they curl up with eachother, or do they have favorite places to hang out during the day? How do they act if you do a practice?

E.g. I can do waltz-clog, in my stocking feet, and Missy will give me a look, but will continue doing what she's doing. I can do hornpipe, and Miss usually goes to the other end of the kitchen. I start to clog, and Miss will give me a two-eared "Are you COMPLETELY out of your head?!?" glare -- and will go and view the outdoors from our dining room. I run the vacuum cleaner -- she's OUTA there!

Have you tried doing Irish near them, and, if so, how do they react?

I noticed Missy's comment in "My cat from Hell" thread, and it's true -- she will reach up, two claws spread, and gently but firmly give me a brief claw, that won't break skin, and she knows all my ticklish places! She also has specific times: 1. when I first get up; then, in the middle of the day, and at 11pm. I consider that her late night, and she does too. And she gives me a purrrr t style chirrup to indicate when SHE is ready. ;) I think she has me well trained. :) :D

I took a semester of Semiotics -- communication between humans and animals in my senior year of high school. the course was so fascinating that I'm sorry I couldn't continue it in some form: -- well in this case they call it -- "zoosemiotics: en.wikipedia.org . . .
On Fri Jan 03, 2014 02:15 AM
Oh yes they curl up together most of the day I think. We have an armchair that's big enough for two and they love it on there. When the weather's better they have a few bushes in the garden where they like to sit together. Nikki gets a bit more restless in the day and might sit in the front window and look over the street, or just go for a wander in the garden, whereas Addie gets more restless at night and will prowl around outside a bit.

I've never really danced in the house to be honest, but the few times I have they've either got so startled that I've stopped immediately, or have just stayed in the garden until the hornpipe horror is over.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Fri Jan 03, 2014 07:56 AM
He meows for an hour. We feed him a certain times, but he hasn't seemed to catch on ;)

My dad feeds him when he gets up (1/4 of his daily allotment, because if you give him half he will eat it all and throw up), between 4am and 6am. As soon as Hermes hears my parents bedroom door open he is in there meowing. When my mom gets up usually around 8am, she will give him 1/4.

My brother feeds him his second half at 4pm. This is where the meowing for an hour comes in.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Jan 04, 2014 07:47 AM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2014-01-04 07:49:44
@ ShadowLunaCat; Thanks of the Karma!! You asked, "

Question: Does His Lordship bark about anything else? "stranger showing up!", "Intruder!", "Weird person alert!" ??

Well, Sir Puppy is a brindle Scottie (Scottish Terrier/((Terrorist--sometimes)). He is now getting up there in years, and is a Senior Dog as my boarders like to call him whenever he goes to puppy sleep-away camp.

Scotties have very unique bark, they just don't bark, they low howl...alot (and mine's reminds me of a bray of a donkey--I kid you not). Scotties are known for their unique and loud "Ahhhhroooo" sound they make. Mine also will give me just a single, loud, sharp, ear piercing bark when he wants mommy's attention--esp. like when I am watching the news after a long days work. When my little guy wants to go out, he will let me know when I ask him if he wants out--he will quite litterly bark back at me "O-u-u-u-t......N-o-o-o-o-w"

So, yes, he talks....and quite well in fact.
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Sun Jan 05, 2014 06:27 PM
My River is very passive aggressive. She leave most plants alone, and only nibbles on the ones that will make her upchuck. We finally had to give one of our plants to my husband's mother, because it was just shredded.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch