Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: How does your teacher feel about adults wearing solo dresses?
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Mar 12, 2014 04:19 AM
Jupitergurl, is that a Silverlode dress? Its gorgeous! and it is definitely not too young for you. You might tell your TC that you have your solo from previously and would like to wear it and let them see it. Its very classy. And as you can see from all the pictures, adult dancers are not consigned to wearing black velvet!
By fouleafmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Mar 12, 2014 09:29 AM
Yes, it is a Silverlode dress ^_^ I absolutely love it. I only got to wear it twice before I retired from dance for college but couldn't bear to sell it. Although, this could be my last chance to wear it... I'm losing a lot of weight and it's getting too big for me, so I may have to sell it in the next few months.

The black velvet is our adult "class dress". It's plain black velvet dress with no embroidery or embellishment except a simple celtic motif in white on a black cape. It's lovely for figures but for solos?... :( I've talked about wearing my solo to the others and I get the "If you want to. No one else does. You will look totally out of place."
On Wed Mar 12, 2014 02:59 PM
JupiterGurl, I don't think you will look out of place at all. You will probably draw the judges eye a bit more initially. (after that, it is all about the dancing) When I was dancing in adults, I got comments from spectators (that I knew) who told me that my wearing a colored dress on stage really stood out in the line up and was just more interesting, as most of the other dancers were in dark colors.

You should wear your dress. It is gorgeous. I always wanted a Silverlode dress. They are works of art. :D
By highlanddncr
On Wed Mar 12, 2014 05:17 PM
I have heard that type of mentality from other schools, luckily not within my own school though. In the end you should wear what looks appropriate on you (fit and level), what makes you comfortable and what makes you happy. It's sad because as adults we should support each other, not get catty and judgemental. I have gotten looks for not wearing tights and occasionally wearing a full wig and tiara :(

I love your dress Jupiter! Please don't listen to those that make you feel uncomfortable. As long as your direct teacher approves, go for it!
By sarahrID
On Wed Mar 12, 2014 06:41 PM
I agree with everyone else, Jupitergurl. I love you dress (and like Hop_123, wondered if it was a Silverload). It's beautiful and unique, and if it was my dress, I'd wear it in a heartbeat!

It's not prohibited by your main TC, so I say go for it!
By sassyirishlassie
On Thu Mar 13, 2014 02:49 PM
I started in adults and wore the "adult dress" until I had a few of my dances in prizewinner. My TC was unfamiliar with adult dancers who actually wanted to get competitive about dancing instead of just wanting to perform. She kind of just went with the flow of what we wanted. I bought a used solo dress that was the traditional 3-panel design. It was gorgeous! After I kept placing first in all of my prizewinner dances, my TC was opened up to the option to drop me down into the &Overs. I dropped down into Novice and within two feisanna, had all my dances in prizewinner. I kept wearing that 3-panel solo dress. When I started placing first in the majority of my prizewinner dances, I started looking at solo dresses with a soft skirt. I finally had one by the time I entered my first prelim. I love the new styles, but I don't want to overdo it with the bling even though I am in champs. I think the older dancers should stick with simple classy designs. I love gems, but I don't think I could go with the all-over sequence fabric. It just seems too young for me (I'm turning 30 this year). I absolutely refuse bows, hearts, and flowers. It will always be knotwork for me, despite what the current fads are. I'm planning on updating my dress if I get into Opens. I secretly want my old 3-panel dress back and somehow revamp it into something more modern, but I've sold it since.

I wore a bun wig as an adult and a longer wig when I dropped down. I wore black tights up until I started getting firsts in &Over Prizewinner. By that time I was in better shape and felt more confident exposing my legs.

I think all of the dresses posted are lovely and strongly encourage solo dresses and the advancement of adult dancers! You're never too old to do what you love!
By kort113
On Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:50 PM
1. She doesn't really have a "policy" but she does like them pretty short, lol.
2. She's totally fine with it! She pretty much just wants us all to feel comfortable and pretty :)
3.That's totally fine! You should just do what you're comfortable with.
By rosalinde
On Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:22 AM
Jupitergurl: that dress is amazing! And definitely not too young. In case you're wondering if there is ever an age when black velvet is the only option: in my picture the dancers are aged (left to right): 25, 22, and 38. So, never! You have ages yet to bling it out and be colourful.
By Bogart
On Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:45 PM
I'm about to be the total kill joy. Ask your teacher!!! I certainly don't know about other schools policies, but my school has strict rules about when you are allowed to wear solo dresses. Right now, only the kids are allowed to wear them and they have to be prizewinner with at least one first that can qualify them for prelims. None of our adults wear solo dresses. Our school is VERY traditional and just hasn't warmed up to them yet. We wear our black school dresses for everything from solo's to 8-hand.

That being said, I would love to wear a solo dress. I think the adults have just as much right to wear them as the kids. But again, I would check with my teacher before showing up in it.
By Sweet_Annabelle
On Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:21 AM
1. I'm at a different school now, but when I first started competing (as an adult in adult beginner - prizewinner) I wore the adult/performance costume which was a black princess line dress with simple gold applique. Before switching schools I competed one feis in novice &overs and my teacher wanted me to wear the kids school dress (3 panel with embroidery) so I was able to borrow one.

At my next school, the standard was for everyone to wear school dresses until prelims. Although, there were some exceptions on a case by case basis. I got a hand me down solo from another dancer when I was in prizewinner (& overs) and my teacher was ok with it. I got my first custom solo when I was almost to prelim so I got a blingy one (for the time)since I wouldn't outgrow it. I wore it to multiple oireachtasi and it didn't seem out of place.

My teacher did not have any problems with adults having solos as long as they were of the appropriate level. Some of the adults I knew that competed in adult novice/prizewinner had "solo" dresses made but they were very simple with no embroidery. I think that was more of a personal preference because they felt the school costume (which was the same for everyone) was not flattering for some adults.

At my current school, I don't think my teacher has strong feelings as long as you are wearing a dress appropriate for your level.

I have not competed for a few years, so my dress isn't the latest style, but I still love it. I only recently came back to dance and am not currently competing.

2. I'm prolly a little old fashioned, but I think that solos should only be for prizewinner or at least novice. I think they are perfectly acceptable for grades. I certainly don't think anyone should feel like they "need" to wear a solo in grades, but I understand wanting to get a solo when you reach a certain level as a sign of acomplishment.

3. I think it's great for adults to wear school dresses in novice/prizewinner. I like it when schools have all ages wear the same style dress. I think it gives a sense of camaraderie and school spirit. Personally, I like the "traditional" style school dresses more than the sometimes shapeless stretch velvet dresses that some schools choose for their adults. I know that may not always be practical due to expense.

oh, and as for wigs. I think I started out wearing a pony tail wig in adults then a full wig. Once I dropped down I wore a variety of full wigs and bun wigs. My newest wig (from 2 years ago) was a big fluffy one that my teacher picked out. Apparently, he thought my old one was too small for solos. :)

Good luck and like others have said, it really depends on what your teacher thinks. Some TCs have very strong feelings about costumes, others not so much. Remember, you are representing their school, so I think it is fair that they have some input on what you wear in competition.
By newdresswanted
On Wed Apr 02, 2014 01:35 AM
Our teacher has our Bun and Tus dancers dance in team dresses, Mean and Ard are allowed in solo dresses. Here is mine - my first custom made dress at 27....I edited out an ugly backgroun
By twinkletoes2021
On Wed Apr 02, 2014 09:53 PM

It doesn't say anything about school dresses at the Oireachtas, and I couldn't find anything on paper about that. Like I said, not sure if that's just a rumor, or actually a rule.

There was a girl from my school that wore their school dresses in solos at the WCRO this last year :)
By irishdancer80
On Sun Apr 06, 2014 06:03 PM
Our teacher is very adult friendly. We are allowed to get solos once we are novice-prizewinner. In Florida there has been less and less adults competing so as of right now I am just enjoying working with my daughter getting her to prelim. and not competing myself. We are allowed to wear wigs but I stick to bun curls or the natural wigs. For shows we usually do a costume change for hard shoe and hated being stuck in my school dress while all the kids got to change. Love my dress.
By MammaPeach
On Thu May 08, 2014 01:39 AM
My teacher requires all dancers from novice to open to wear solo dresses, I dance for an open platform school. At 28 I still wear a wig and poodle socks, and I usually have lots of sparkly bows or headbands. I recently added more bling to the top half of the dress and cape.

I have had this solo dress for over a year and I love it, I'm updating the side panels on later in the year, to a different type of fabric or velvet. I also have an old 3 panel dress I can't fit into but I'm hoping to update it later on in the year, and keep it as a spare.
By celticwhim
On Sat May 31, 2014 12:35 PM
I just want to say that I LOVE seeing all the adult solo dress pictures! I think adults SHOULD be able to get a solo dress when they reach the appropriate level. We work just as hard as the kids to get where we are at and why wouldn't we want to have a fun, pretty dress to dance in on stage? Our teacher doesn't really have a big opinion on them, I just know she probably would prefer a classic look as opposed to a younger blingy look. But I know as soon as I get in Prizewinner I am going to look into getting one because why the heck not? Lol! I LOVE IDentify You dresses for adults, they are so classy and full of beautiful Celtic designs and gorgeous colors. The nice thing about buying an adult solo dress is you can't grow out of it, well, unless you eat more than you can dance off, heh.
On Sat May 31, 2014 02:54 PM
Edited by Hop_123 (173279) on 2014-05-31 16:04:54
Since I replied earlier, I have made a new skirt for my dress. Still colorful and not super blingy. 3 dances in PW now, one still in novice (& overs)

Edit: the picture doesn't do the skirt sparkle justice. There are sequins scattered over it and metallic thread. There has to be SOME bling!
By Bobbee
On Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:33 AM
I think wearing a solo dress in novice is ridiculous no matter how old you are. I really don't think its necessary until you are in prelim, and then if you want one, get one (preferable not violently coloured and blindingly bedazzled). I thought there was a rule but maybe not. Anyway, I'm 29 and dance in and overs prelim (I always place top 4 so haha). My original teacher retired so my school dress is a collectible at this point and I have a conservative solo. I don't wear a big floppy wig. The floppy wigs look worse the older you are imo. Bun wigs look better. I am all for makeup on adult dancers. Seriously, wear it. Wear eye shadow, mascara, lipstick, the whole shabang.
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch