Poll: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
What's your 2014 reading goal? (# of books)
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:07 PM

I'm using Goodreads to track mine :)

www.goodreads.com . . .

27 Replies to What's your 2014 reading goal? (# of books)

re: What's your 2014 reading goal? (# of books) (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:29 PM
I tried to register but I think I'm doing something wrong. It keeps saying I have to enter a date, but I can't find the place to do this.

I was thrilled to see a fb friend, (another ddn member) read about 75 books last year.

I set my goal at 52, one a week. I'm almost finished with my first of the year...
Image hotlink - 'http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51loWdmrXCL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg'

One of my kids gave it to me for Christmas as just as I expected, it is delightful. I just love David Sedaris.

I have a few waiting on my night stand as well.

Anyone else?

Keep On Dancing*
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:35 PM
I'm not sure. I usually aim for 50. Usually make it to somewhere in the 30's. But last year (2013) I made it to 91. I'd like to aim for 100, but I'll be in grad school and that probably wont be realistic.
re: What's your 2014 reading goal? (# of books)
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Wed Jan 01, 2014 06:35 PM
In 2014 I would just like to finish a book. I have started so many books in the past few months and haven't finished a single one of them. I don't know if I am slowly acquiring ADD or what, but I just cannot stay intrigued with any books! Usually it would kill me to not know how it ended, but I am giving up pretty easily lately. It doesn't help that I find so many free book deals for my kindle that I have so many to choose from if I don't like one I just move on to the next. Maybe I have a poor choice in books.

I have gotten into audiobooks and I have a subscription to Audible now. I don't know if that counts but I am almost done with my first one of the new year and it is awesome. It is called "The End of the Affair" and it is narrated by Colin Firth *swoon*
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Jan 01, 2014 06:43 PM
Gioia wrote:

I have gotten into audiobooks and I have a subscription to Audible now. I don't know if that counts but I am almost done with my first one of the new year and it is awesome. It is called "The End of the Affair" and it is narrated by Colin Firth *swoon*

Yes, audio books count!

I went ahead and voted 75-100...it may not happen.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Thu Jan 09, 2014 09:38 PM
Just as I suspected I loved my audiobook "The End of the Affair" in it's entirety, definitely recommend it. It has been really nice as I have been sick and haven't wanted to read. I will be starting "Thérèse Raquin" narrated by Kate Winslet next I think!

I wanted to share this Reading Bingo with you all. Might be more of a fun way to hit your personal reading goal!
On Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:12 PM
Gioia wrote:

I wanted to share this Reading Bingo with you all. Might be more of a fun way to hit your personal reading goal!

I have read 2 and 1/2 books so far... and I can mark off 10 items from that card. I know it says it recommends one box per book, but how do you pick? I have read two of M.C Beaton's Hamish Macbeth books and half of The Hobbit. I can mark off:

Turned into a movie
Mystery
female author
1st book by an author
book your friend loves
more than 10 years old
non-human characters
different continent
best selling
bottom of to read pile
By AbbyYukiko Comments: 5, member since Mon Dec 16, 2013
On Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:48 PM
I'm aiming to read one book per day for the entire year
On Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:55 PM
AbbyYukiko wrote:

I'm aiming to read one book per day for the entire year

What sort of books? If I counted every picture book I read or every graphic novel I'd be in the 300's. Sometimes I see a Mo Willems book and I just can't resist.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Fri Jan 10, 2014 07:14 AM
My goal is 40. I've just finished re-reading Dorian Gray and have spent a few days reading Peter Rabbit books when taking care of a family friend's son.
I'm now staring at my 200+ collection of novels and I have nowhere to start. :( Any recommendations? I want to read 'The Book Thief' as the moving is coming out soon, but I just want an easy read right now.

On my reading list though: 50 Shades of Grey.
Yes. I am going to read it. A friend of mine gave me her copy and I'm kind of scared, but also ready. I've read some awful fanfiction so I kind of do have a taste for where this will be going...
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Fri Jan 10, 2014 08:16 AM
Christine wrote:

I tried to register but I think I'm doing something wrong. It keeps saying I have to enter a date, but I can't find the place to do this.

I was thrilled to see a fb friend, (another ddn member) read about 75 books last year.

I set my goal at 52, one a week. I'm almost finished with my first of the year...
Image hotlink - 'http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51loWdmrXCL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg'

One of my kids gave it to me for Christmas as just as I expected, it is delightful. I just love David Sedaris.

I have a few waiting on my night stand as well.

Anyone else?

Keep On Dancing*

With the date for the challenge, I believe it just means you have to put down the book as read as a date in 2014. Not sure, haven't finished my first book yet but will let you know.

Omg I love David Sedaris!

Gioia wrote:

In 2014 I would just like to finish a book. I have started so many books in the past few months and haven't finished a single one of them. I don't know if I am slowly acquiring ADD or what, but I just cannot stay intrigued with any books! Usually it would kill me to not know how it ended, but I am giving up pretty easily lately. It doesn't help that I find so many free book deals for my kindle that I have so many to choose from if I don't like one I just move on to the next. Maybe I have a poor choice in books.

I had the exact same problem last year, I can immediately think of about four books I started but didn't finish!

Gioia wrote:

Just as I suspected I loved my audiobook "The End of the Affair" in it's entirety, definitely recommend it. It has been really nice as I have been sick and haven't wanted to read. I will be starting "Th���©r���¨se Raquin" narrated by Kate Winslet next I think!

The reading bingo is cute :)

Gavrilushka wrote:

My goal is 40. I've just finished re-reading Dorian Gray and have spent a few days reading Peter Rabbit books when taking care of a family friend's son.
I'm now staring at my 200+ collection of novels and I have nowhere to start. :( Any recommendations? I want to read 'The Book Thief' as the moving is coming out soon, but I just want an easy read right now.

Yes. I am going to read it. A friend of mine gave me her copy and I'm kind of scared, but also ready. I've read some awful fanfiction so I kind of do have a taste for where this will be going...

hahaah oh fanfic, one of my friends linked me to a Karl Stevanoic one the other day, I didn't think it could exist!

Book Thief is one of my all time fave books so defs recommend (first read in 08). Have you read any Khaled Hosseini? I also love Breath by Tim Winton.
By seannettaPremium member Comments: 2312, member since Fri Jul 28, 2006
On Fri Jan 10, 2014 08:54 AM
I'm super impressed with the voracious reading habits of everyone on this thread. My book-reading has fallen off dramatically in recent years -- magazines and newspapers that I have to read for work got in the way. But my resolution is to do roughly one a month this year; piddly in comparison to the rest of you, but a big step up for me.
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Fri Jan 10, 2014 09:13 AM
I picked 50-75. I average about one audiobook each week while driving, but sometimes more (two this week) and read one or two books a month on my Kindle or from the library. I resisted the Kindle for a long time, preferring to hold actual books, but now I love the convenience and portability of it.
On Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:04 PM
Gavrilushka wrote:

I'd go ahead and read 50 shades. It's terrible but it is a quick easy read.
On Fri Jan 10, 2014 06:50 PM
Tansey wrote:

I picked 50-75. I average about one audiobook each week while driving, but sometimes more (two this week) and read one or two books a month on my Kindle or from the library. I resisted the Kindle for a long time, preferring to hold actual books, but now I love the convenience and portability of it.

I would love some audiobook recommendations if you have any to offer. I think I can kind of be picky and I don't like them unless I feel like they are adding something to the book, otherwise I would just prefer to read the book myself.

As for the Bingo game, you just basically choose which square you want to use for 1 book. It doesn't have to have a rhyme or reason since it is meant to just be fun. For instance if I were to have read the Hobbit I would probably mark off non human characters because I am not likely to read another book like that, whereas I read several books that have been made into movies, etc...
By SoILWritermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3881, member since Wed May 29, 2002
On Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:20 PM
I said 50-75. My reading list is up to about 100, but I know I'm not going to finish them all this year. I'd just like to finish half of them. I'd particularly like to finish "Wicked." I started it in May and am not even halfway through. I just start reading other books and then get hooked into them.
On Sun Jan 12, 2014 06:15 AM
The GR counter tells you how many books ahead of schedule you are for the reading goal, cool stuff :)

I've read 1.25 books-the Great Gatsby and I'm reading Catcher in the Rye atm.

My name is Coffeepot, add me as a friend :) (mention your DDN name so I know who it is!)
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sun Jan 12, 2014 09:14 AM
I need to read all the books I already own before I buy more. That's my 2014 reading resolution. I have so many! I got Fannie Flag's follow up to Fried Green Tomatoes for Christmas and it's currently resting on my bedside table waiting for me to finish The Life of Pi and the new translation of Dr Zhivago, both of which I am in the midst of reading. After those, I want to read The Hobbit again before the third installment movie comes out.

kk~
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Sun Jan 12, 2014 03:19 PM
My goal is 100 books, not counting books I read to/with my students.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Mon Jan 13, 2014 06:51 AM
majere wrote:

No kidding! I'm a little more than halfway through 50 Shades and I feel like curling up into a fetal position and crying. The author made millions WITH THIS?! No offense to those who do love 50 Shades, I can see how it can be enjoyable, I mean who doesn't love a little BDSM and Mr Mysterious? But sometimes it goes a little too far in the corny and very 'fan fiction-y' and slightly disturbing department (tampon scene, ice cream scene...). If I read the term 'inner Goddess' or 'Holy cow!' one more time I might scream.

I think I'll stick to my beloved Oscar Wilde, thanks!

Cadbury_Eater wrote:

hahaah oh fanfic, one of my friends linked me to a Karl Stevanoic one the other day, I didn't think it could exist!

Book Thief is one of my all time fave books so defs recommend (first read in 08). Have you read any Khaled Hosseini? I also love Breath by Tim Winton.

Karl Stefanovic?! I sure hope it wasn't M-rated! O_O

I haven't read any of Khaled Hosseini, in fact, I never heard of him until now! I have a book that has a short story by Tim Winton, that's something, right? I'm very unfamiliar with authors who are still alive. I only ever read classics because I worry about buying a $20+ book and getting so let down by it. And classics are cheaper too! I wish Amazon still shipped free to Australia, I used to get LOADS of books off there.

After 50 Shades is done and I move on from my trauma, I will dig into The Book Thief. Do you have any recommendations for Hosseini? :)
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Mon Jan 13, 2014 05:06 PM
While I checked 20-30, this year, I just want to finish a book that isn't a kids picture book (but hey, I know the Gruffalo and the Gruffalo's Child by heart!)

OK, I actually want to read lots, like I used to, but I seem to have run out of time to read. Where did the time go?

I'm using Goodreads to track mine, and I admit I have already cheated and included a couple of books I read over Christmas, but if I didn't, I wouldn't have been able to say I'd read anything!
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Mon Jan 13, 2014 05:46 PM
Gioia wrote:

I would love some audiobook recommendations if you have any to offer. I think I can kind of be picky and I don't like them unless I feel like they are adding something to the book, otherwise I would just prefer to read the book myself.

What kind of books do you like? Here are some I've listened to that I really enjoyed:

Stitches by Anne Lamott. She is also the audiobook reader for this and several of her other books.

Here if You Need Me by Kate Braestrup.

John Adams by David McCullough is great if you like historical biographies. I do.

I love David Sedaris. In addition to the one Christine mentioned, another favorite is Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim.

Sometimes - actually most of the time lately - I just want to listen to the audio equivalent of a beach book. The Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich are always good for that, as are any of Claire Cook's books.

The one series of books that my family and I feel are actually even better as audiobooks than their admittedly excellent print versions is the Harry Potter books. The audiobooks are all done by Jim Dale and he is fantastic. He's won several awards for his work on this series. How he can give voice to everyone from Harry to Hagrid to Dobby to Voldemort is beyond me, but he does. These are the only books we will listen to repeatedly in the car.
On Mon Jan 13, 2014 06:22 PM
Tansey wrote:

What kind of books do you like? Here are some I've listened to that I really enjoyed:

Stitches by Anne Lamott. She is also the audiobook reader for this and several of her other books.

Here if You Need Me by Kate Braestrup.

John Adams by David McCullough is great if you like historical biographies. I do.

I love David Sedaris. In addition to the one Christine mentioned, another favorite is Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim.

Sometimes - actually most of the time lately - I just want to listen to the audio equivalent of a beach book. The Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich are always good for that, as are any of Claire Cook's books.

The one series of books that my family and I feel are actually even better as audiobooks than their admittedly excellent print versions is the Harry Potter books. The audiobooks are all done by Jim Dale and he is fantastic. He's won several awards for his work on this series. How he can give voice to everyone from Harry to Hagrid to Dobby to Voldemort is beyond me, but he does. These are the only books we will listen to repeatedly in the car.

Thanks! I really like mysteries, I have listened to The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo trilogy, some of the Jim Dale Harry Potters (I agree he is fantastic, but lots of my friends say that Stephen Fry does a great version too, but unfortunately none of them are currently available on audible). I have read all of the Stephanie plum novels, so I probably wouldn't listen to them. I have thought that I might be able to get into fantasy a little more with audiobooks. I purchased "World War Z" because it is a cast reading and got great reviews.

I checked out some of your David Sedaris suggestions and that is probably up my alley, I like that he reads his own books, he has an interesting voice so I am going to try one of them!
On Mon Jan 13, 2014 07:29 PM
Gavrilushka wrote:

majere wrote:

No kidding! I'm a little more than halfway through 50 Shades and I feel like curling up into a fetal position and crying. The author made millions WITH THIS?! No offense to those who do love 50 Shades, I can see how it can be enjoyable, I mean who doesn't love a little BDSM and Mr Mysterious? But sometimes it goes a little too far in the corny and very 'fan fiction-y' and slightly disturbing department (tampon scene, ice cream scene...). If I read the term 'inner Goddess' or 'Holy cow!' one more time I might scream.

I think I'll stick to my beloved Oscar Wilde, thanks!

Cadbury_Eater wrote:

Karl Stefanovic?! I sure hope it wasn't M-rated! O_O

I haven't read any of Khaled Hosseini, in fact, I never heard of him until now! I have a book that has a short story by Tim Winton, that's something, right? I'm very unfamiliar with authors who are still alive. I only ever read classics because I worry about buying a $20+ book and getting so let down by it. And classics are cheaper too! I wish Amazon still shipped free to Australia, I used to get LOADS of books off there.

After 50 Shades is done and I move on from my trauma, I will dig into The Book Thief. Do you have any recommendations for Hosseini? :)

Unfortunately it was M-rated, but in a terribly funny way.

Oh and I wish amazon did too! Though books are cheaper now I have an e-reader.

For Khaled, I've read two of his books, firstly Kite Runner and then A Thousand Splendid Suns. And oh yay, I hope you enjoy the Book Thief!
By KaeDancer Comments: 33, member since Wed Jan 22, 2014
On Thu Jan 23, 2014 07:42 AM
Oh, that website looks great! I'm going to have to give it a go I think!

Aiming for at least 20, but I tend to read mostly short stories. I wonder if they count?

Kaela x
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch