Forum: Arts / Debates

Debates
Student requesting expemption b/c his beliefs do not allow him to meet women in public
By lildancergirl22 Comments: 320, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Thu Jan 09, 2014 07:47 AM
Edited by lildancergirl22 (85951) on 2014-01-09 08:01:22

I came across an article recently where a male student in an online university program was required to meet face to face with some of his peers for a focus-group and he requested an exemption as "due to my firm religious beliefs, it will not be possible for me to meet in public with a group of women (the majority of my group) to complete some of these tasks.

This sparked great debate at the university with the Dean stating that his request should be granted, but the department stating that this request could not be met.

Full article here : www.thestar.com . . .

What's your thoughts on this?

I'm all for religious freedom, but when it ostracizes 50% of our population... I could see maybe if the student was required to meet in private with one female, but by the sounds of it they would be meeting as a group in public.

2 Replies to Student requesting expemption b/c his beliefs do not allow him to meet women in public

re: Student requesting expemption b/c his beliefs do not allow him to meet women in public
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6363, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Thu Jan 09, 2014 02:53 PM
Plain and simple...do the work as assigned or flunk. If he is open enough to leave his country for education, he has to play by the host's rules. Otherwise he should stay in his own country. Most of this claim for sex segregation is more based upon local custom than by actual religious tenets. I've had Saudi, Afghan, Iranian and Pakistani acquaintances in college in the US who participated fully in co-ed groups.

Jon
re: Student requesting expemption b/c his beliefs do not allow him to meet women in public
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7766, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Thu Jan 09, 2014 03:22 PM
I went to that crap hole of a university. When I get home to my tablet I will respond

ReplySendWatch