Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
How long should you wait after getting a promotion before applying for another?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Jan 13, 2014 09:51 PM

That was a long title. I got a promotion a month ago. I thought that I would wait 6 months to a year before trying to move up again. One of my co-workers told be a position should be opening soon, because someone is leaving. She thinks I should apply for it when it does. I don't know when it will become available or if they are even going to fill the spot (lots ifs going on at work due to a huge location being closed for a few years and everyone from there dispersed at different locations).

I would like the job. But I don't know if I should apply for it. One factor is the location (it's in a rougher part of town and it would be working with teens), I applied for a similar spot at a location a few blocks away and didn't get it but was really glad I didn't after I subbed there one day. The other is that I just got this spot. I should probably sit in it for a while.

How long should you wait?

8 Replies to How long should you wait after getting a promotion before applying for another?

re: How long should you wait after getting a promotion before applying for another?
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Wed Jan 15, 2014 07:17 PM
If your employer doesn't have a rule about this already set in place then I say you should apply for it. Just make sure that you really would like it and would feel comfortable moving up and learning more new duties.
re: How long should you wait after getting a promotion before applying for another? (karma: 1)
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Wed Jan 15, 2014 08:36 PM
How much is the pay scale difference? That would playa. Huge role for me. I wouldn't want the extra responsibility without getting a significant increase. As you said, you didn't like the position before when you subbed . So, for me, I would say it probably isn'tt your dream position.
Do you like what you are doing now? I would factor that in, before trying to promote. What is it about the promotion that you like? Hours, money, work etc?
re: How long should you wait after getting a promotion before applying for another?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Thu Jan 16, 2014 08:41 AM
Well it would be a $4 raise for me.

They just posted it. It was a 40 hour position but they are splitting it into two 20 hour positions. It says bilingual preferred but all candidates would be considered, I can't speak Spanish, I can read it fairly well, but when trying to speak or write my sentences do not sound like anything that a human would say. I would be losing five hours, so it would only be $20 more a week. I was really hoping for a 40 hour spot.

What the position is, is something I want to do. It is more responsibility as it is a supervisor position. It's doing outreach with teens. I don't like there being two in the same place. I foresee issues (part of the attraction to this is that I would be the sole decision maker doing programs) working with someone else on this stuff. I might apply just to see what it is really like over there, and to practice interviewing.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Thu Jan 16, 2014 09:18 AM
I'd be wary of applying for it "for experience". Do you want to alienate the person who put their faith in you by giving you the initial promotion? I presume they are now your boss and because it's an internal application, they'll no doubt find out whether they're meant to or not. You don't want to be seen as disliking your current post, wanting to leave, not being dedicated to the team etc. It'd be different if it was an external interview - actually now I've typed that no, it wouldn't be. It's not fair to waste people's time by accepting an interview just to practice. Until you've seen how time consuming and frustrating recruitment for even the most junior position can be, you don't understand.
On Thu Jan 16, 2014 09:22 AM
Louise wrote:

I'd be wary of applying for it "for experience". Do you want to alienate the person who put their faith in you by giving you the initial promotion? I presume they are now your boss and because it's an internal application, they'll no doubt find out whether they're meant to or not. You don't want to be seen as disliking your current post, wanting to leave, not being dedicated to the team etc. It'd be different if it was an external interview - actually now I've typed that no, it wouldn't be. It's not fair to waste people's time by accepting an interview just to practice. Until you've seen how time consuming and frustrating recruitment for even the most junior position can be, you don't understand.

If I interviewed and got it, I would take the spot. I don't expect to get it because of the bilingual bit.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Thu Jan 16, 2014 09:27 AM
Fine, but that's ignoring part of my post - if you don't get it, do you want to be in a position where your current boss thinks s/he can't rely on you because you've already indicated you would leave at a moment's notice? See what I mean?
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:03 AM
Even though you would be making $20 more a week doing this part time job then you would be doing your current full time job, what about benefits? A lot of companies are increasing part time position because of the Affordable Care Act. Would you be losing your health insurance if you took a position with less hours? Or am I misunderstanding and you aren't full time now but wanted to be full time? Just something to take into consideration.
On Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:05 AM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2014-01-16 11:26:33
Louise wrote:

Fine, but that's ignoring part of my post - if you don't get it, do you want to be in a position where your current boss thinks s/he can't rely on you because you've already indicated you would leave at a moment's notice? See what I mean?

Sorry I was in my car when I responded and didn't read the whole thing.

I do see the point. And I really don't like the idea of being one of two and looking at the schedule one would be leaving as the other one was coming in. How on earth is that going to be conducive to planning programming? Are there just going to be two sets of programs one by each person or what? The more I think about this the more I don't like it.

EDIT: I just got the chance to look up in the policy manual at work, and it does say (not in an obvious spot) that you need to have a job for 6 months before applying for a promotion.

ReplySendWatch