Forum: Irish / Irish

Soft Shoes To Heavy's
By IzzyIRISH
On Thu Jan 16, 2014 03:52 AM

Hey Everyone!

I've got 2 more lessons (1 week) until I’m on hard shoe! I've just got to learn my last step to the slip jig. I'm really excited that i've come on so quickly but also a bit nervous :( I would really appreciate it if you could help me with a few questions

1) I don’t want to buy a pair straight away, is there anything can i wear instead? Or should i buy the shoes?

2) What are the basic's i will need to know for heavy’s?

3) Any tips from dancers about coming on to heavy shoes?

4) What dances did you know and do at your first feis?

P.S My friend who i started dancing with has dropped out because she wasn't enjoying it so i've got to go to class on my own! Any tips on confidence?

thank you all for your help i wouldn't be dancing if it wasn’t for you lot

3 Replies to Soft Shoes To Heavy's

re: Soft Shoes To Heavy's
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 16, 2014 06:27 AM
I don't think you need to worry too much :)

Your teacher will tell you whether to buy heavies or not or what to wear instead, and she honestly won't be expecting you to know anything at all, I'm sure! You won't need to go into class knowing the basics because that is what class is for - learning them! It's always better NOT to try and teach yourself something or skip ahead of what you're learning in class, as there's a good chance you'll unintentionally learn something wrong and have to unlearn and relearn it.

Just go into your class open minded and ready to learn and you'll be fine. No-one would ever expect you to be an expert at the first class so don't worry.

I was 16 at my first feis, so about your age, but I'd been dancing since age 12 so I had a bit more experience. I did all my light dances and my heavy jig - we hadn't got around to finishing my hornpipe yet so I think I only had a lead-round.
By tinydancer1988
On Thu Jan 16, 2014 07:11 AM
At my original school, we learned our hard shoe dances in our softshoes until we had hard shoes. I think some other schools may encourage their dancers to wear their sneakers, so it's a matter of your teacher's preference.

I did just treble jig at my first feis. We had to show our teacher that we were comfortable with treble jig before he would teach us hornpipe.

The fundamentals are trebles, hop backs, and toe backs. Listen to the music a lot so that you get comfortable with the way that it sounds, and how the beats will fit with the music. Also, focusing on turnout and crossing will be very important in hard shoe (once you get comfortable with the steps you can start working on that. Don't worry- at first you will be too absorbed in trying to get the steps to focus on anything else, but it will come with time).

I definitely didn't have the same experience as you when my first close friend left my dance school. I was really young, and I wasn't focused on dance- she was more like my playmate at dance classes, and neither of us really learned much because we were too busy playing. After the initial shock when she left (telling my mom that I hate it there and I want to quit), I suddenly started rapidly improving at dance because I was learning the dances instead of goofing off. Lol, I guess I can thank her for leaving, otherwise I probably would have just been a pretty mediocre dancer.

For your confidence- you don't need another person to be confident. It sounds like you are very good at picking up the steps and like you are working hard at home, and that is enough to help you improve really quickly. If that doesn't give you confidence, I don't know what will! Just keep doing what you're doing, and great things will come.
By IzzyIRISH
On Fri Jan 24, 2014 04:21 AM
Thank you for the advice! Im going to take all this into consideration! Ive got my first feis in March so if anyone has any advice for my first feis than that would be brilliant! I was just wondering is anyone had any practice tips for when I get home after school like drills for beginners as ive only seen this for champs! How many hours a week should I be practicing?

ReplySendWatch