Forum: Irish / Irish

Modern dresses with very traditional designs
By ceilemom
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 06:38 AM

Our TCRG has said we are to have serpents/celtic animals on our next dress.
I have seen old style dresses like this but not newer styles, apart from one with a large fish on the front.
Can you please post some pics so I can get an idea of what TCRG has in mind.
Thank you!

12 Replies to Modern dresses with very traditional designs

re: Modern dresses with very traditional designs
By sarahrID
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 08:27 AM
Here's a nice one from Prime Designs. I think this is a very sophisticated color scheme, and the design is very elegant.

www.primedressdesigns.com#!SOLD/zoom/c1x2s/image1zrk
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 08:40 AM
The Academy debuted a whole bunch of very traditional 3-panel Gavins at Nationals. The cut is very modern but they're a throwback to the storybook dresses of 20-ish years ago. Here's a couple pictures.

Image hotlink - 'http://24.media.tumblr.com/d24da10b05ddfecd57432b21013dd42f/tumblr_meqw7onvvk1rpy53ao1_500.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/9a/b5/b2/9ab5b25fa173f3e4f48380c00e20cb17.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://dancenet.s3.amazonaws.com/images/i345/691439.193photo_orig.jpg'
By boleyngrrl
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 09:11 AM
Edited by boleyngrrl (156471) on 2014-01-20 09:19:41
I wanted traditional on my newest dress because it will likely be my last dress so I wanted to throw back to my first dress, which was one of the OLD velvet ones with hand embroidered celtic snake knots on it.

The first picture is the front of my dress, which just has some knotwork and stuff. The next picture is my shawl, which is the biggest throwback part.

The third picture is of Prime Design's newest dress they posted on FB either today or yesterday. Their stuff is gorgeous and reasonably traditional.

Edit: Oop saw Prime had already been posted. :) Also, TheMidlakeMuse, The Academy has had some of those dresses since Oireachtas 2012. The St. Patrick one and the black one you originally posted were two of their first, then the red one at NANs is the girl who originally wore the black one you posted above it. :)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 09:21 AM
Just a couple I happen to have saved - admittedly no serpents but these are quite "traditional" in the sense of being the kind of classic style that's been resurrected recently.
By Realtreble
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 09:41 AM
A smaller DM on this board, KDSF, has a nice example of a "modern traditional dress" in her 2013 Flicker gallery. It is black and red with a Kells-inspired horse shawl. flickr.com/photos/kdsf/sets/72157632522701893/

It isn't in her gallery here. She does have a facebook account.
By tinydancer1988
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 09:44 AM
From what we've seen so far in the 3-panel revival, it looks like they're using very traditional designs, but with the shape of the newer dress (more form fitted, dropped waist, etc).

The first picture is a bunch of new three panel dresses. The other two are very traditional dance dresses with older style embroidery and Book of Kells-style animals.

All photographs are property of their original poster. I just found them on google images.
By Rockstar679
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 09:58 AM
Kirations just posted a dress on Facebook for sale with birds. I can go see if I can find it.
By Rockstar679
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:06 AM
It won't let me add the image from my iPad. But check out kirations Facebook page. It's her last entry on her wall for sale for 1950$
By boleyngrrl
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:12 AM
^Here it is. :) It's absolutely gorgeous!
www.facebook.com . . .
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:39 PM
This was/is my dress before I retired. Not the latest style anymore, but I got it in 2011 from Jess Knight
By Lunamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 05, 2014 09:31 AM
Edited by Luna (17722) on 2014-02-05 09:37:39 added designers of dresses
Edited by Luna (17722) on 2014-02-05 09:41:40 Added another dress
Edited by Luna (17722) on 2014-02-05 10:03:01 last dress, I promise!
Edited by Luna (17722) on 2014-02-05 10:05:28 last dress, I promise!
I love traditional knotwork especially with animals integrated in them so here are some of the more modern dresses I like. Birds are very popular and sometimes the only animal element is on the cape.

Most of these are by Michelle Lewis, Kirations, one by Prime designs and the purple one with just the horse on the skirt I don't know the creator.

Oh and here is the link to one by Jess Knight that I love
fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net . . .

And another gorgeous one by Michelle Lewis I found
www.dance-again.com . . .

Ok sorry one more Prime design dress
media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com . . .
By Realtreble
On Thu Feb 06, 2014 01:52 PM
This dress is another good example of traditional motifs used in a modern way. Made by Gavin, who also made the "storybook" 3-panel dresses posted above, it is a few years old.

The motifs for those 3-panel dresses was strongly inspired by old Seven Gates designs. Seven Gates was one of the original DMs. They went out of business 5 to 10 years ago. People have tried to obtain their designs, with little luck. From what I've seen, it is possible Gavin bought their portfolio and is using it, modernized, for clients interested in this type of dress.

ReplySendWatch