Forum: Irish / Irish

Are you joining a parade for St Patrick's Day?
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:50 AM

I'm looking for dancers who are getting involved with a major St Patrick's Day parade this year, or who participated in one last year and have pictures!

If you're marching in a parade or performing in an event happening alongside a parade (eg jigging in a pub on the parade route), let me know! Ideally you'll live in a major city somewhere in the world, but if you're from a smaller place that you wouldn't expect to have any Irish celebrations for Paddy's Day, I'd still be glad to hear from you!

Even if you're not doing anything this year, I'm still looking for pictures from last year - if you have any, reply here (don't post them!) or shoot me a PM telling me where you marched/danced. If you've got a fun story to tell, like the girl who got proposed to while marching, then so much the better!

Oh, did I mention you might get your photo and story in the March issue of the Irish Dancing Magazine? No? Well - yeah you could!

All photos and info needed by Jan 28th :)

13 Replies to Are you joining a parade for St Patrick's Day?

re: Are you joining a parade for St Patrick's Day?
By sarahrID
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 01:24 PM
My school will be in a parade in Atlanta this year. I believe we just marched/dance last year (it was a month or two before I joined the school), but this year, we're doing a float as well!
By monkeybiz329member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 01:56 PM
I danced/marched with my school last year in the New Haven, CT St. Patrick's Day Parade, and we'll be doing it again this year. We always march in cream colored sweaters and wigs so our solo dresses don't get dirty if it's raining (which my mum really appreciates!).
By tinydancer1988
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 02:08 PM
I'll be in the Buffalo NY parade =)
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 02:46 PM
I went alongside last year and jumped in at the last minute (we aren't allowed to have strollers in the parade and my son was a year and a half old and it was FREEZING out). I have much better pictures from 2 years ago when he was 4 months old and in a front carrier. We plan to do the parade this year, but it will depend on the weather again.

I'm 39 and our parade is in Rochester, NY.
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 20, 2014 06:34 PM
I did the one last year (and have for the past 10+ years) in Washington, DC. Not doing it this year because of school but it's really fun!
By AutumnLily
On Tue Jan 21, 2014 03:22 PM
I'm from Czech republic and there are no parades for St. Patrick's Day (what a shame :D). But there is a party where all the Irish dance groups from Brno (my city) perform and everybody dance ceili and set dances. And there is also great party in Irish pub with live music and spontaneous dancing although there isn't much space :)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 22, 2014 05:41 AM
Thanks people - PMs have been sent so check your inboxes!

Any more? Haven't got any Aussies or Kiwis yet, or anyone from South Africa - but all are welcome to contribute!
By nwirishdancemomPremium member
On Wed Jan 22, 2014 03:34 PM
My daughter's school in Seattle, WA always does the parade. I have pictures from last year. This will be her 10th year doing the parade.

Diane
By boleyngrrl
On Thu Jan 23, 2014 04:29 PM
Hahaha tinydancer1988 I'll see you there if all goes well! I'm planning to be in a few in Buffalo as well!
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jan 23, 2014 08:44 PM
sarahrID wrote:

My school will be in a parade in Atlanta this year. I believe we just marched/dance last year (it was a month or two before I joined the school), but this year, we're doing a float as well!

I was there last year, and I have a handful of photos!
By tinydancer1988
On Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:10 AM
boleyngrrl Nice =D
hope to see you there!
By EireLibramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:21 AM
Edited by EireLibra (72136) on 2014-01-26 11:22:45
My school, Harp Irish Dance Company, performs in the Salt Lake City St. Patricks day parade every year.

I'd love to send you a great photo.
By chevrechevalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jan 26, 2014 03:03 PM
Our schooled marched the St. Patrick's Day parade last year. It is famous for being the smallest such parade in the nation. This year, our school plans to have a float.

ReplySendWatch