Forum: Irish / Irish

Dancing around town
By tinydancer1988
On Wed Jan 22, 2014 03:24 PM

So, I'm a competitive Irish dancer, and I'm not on my school's show team because I don't have time to commit to the 40+ shows during February and March.

What I am thinking about doing to earn a little extra cash is finding a few other 21+ year old dancers who want to dance out in bars during March on the weekends to earn a little extra cash. I was also thinking about trying to find girls from other schools in the area to get a little bit of diversity. We would choreograph all of our own steps, and find music that our dance schools don't use in shows.

Do you guys think something like this would fly? Are teachers usually okay with their dancers mixing it up with dancers from other schools? And do you think they would have a problem with a student charging for a mini-show that wasn't affiliated with the school?

Just curious- it's not something that I had ever looked into before, but I figured that with my contacts at local bars (my bf and I were in a band and used to play around), I could probably find a few places that would host us, and if we drew a decent crowd, they might have us back periodically throughout the year even.

3 Replies to Dancing around town

re: Dancing around town
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 22, 2014 04:27 PM
I'm willing to bet they would not approve, but it certainly never hurts to ask. I would NOT attempt to set this up without talking to your instructors first. Sounds like it could be fun if you can make it work though!
By califeisgirl
On Wed Jan 22, 2014 04:31 PM
You would probably just want to ask. Or keep it really secret because these things tend to get out, especially if you are doing them around St. Pats.

For example, the school I dance for doesn't really have a problem with older dancers doing this sort of thing but we have to bring the tips to the studio when we are done and the studio gets like 10 percent off the top. Usually each dancer gets to pocket a good chunk of cash, so it isn't too big of a deal, but going out and doing it on your own could get your name on the naughty list.

But I know of other schools where the teachers wouldn't have a problem with it at all. They would tell you "go for it, have fun, hand out these flyers."

You know your school better than we do, so just keep that in mind. I find it best to present it as an opportunity between you and your friends ie "Hey, this guy that I know owns a pub and asked me to dance with the band during St. Pat's, that's cool right?"
By tinydancer1988
On Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:38 AM
Good answers- thanks for the insight. I think I'll talk to one of my teachers and see what she thinks.

ReplySendWatch