Forum: General / Computers - General

Computers - General
Internet on my laptop is slow
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Fri Jan 24, 2014 07:10 AM

I've had so much trouble with this not-even-1-year-old 'ultrabook'. I've had it sent twice, TWICE, to get a faulty hard drive replaced losing everything each time (I know I should back up, but who expects a brand new laptop to fail?!). Not to mention the amount of times I've had to do a system restore with an internal backup system which ends up getting corrupted every freaking time. Just...ARGH.

Anyway, HP have amazing customer service and I always get my laptop back in under a week, but I digress. Lately if I close the lid of my laptop it refuses to hibernate, then crashes and restarts (this is an inconsistent issue however - it happens sometimes, but when I had to get my hard drives replaced the hard drive failures ALWAYS happened after I closed the lid) and the fan sounds like it is working over time and isn't doing anything. I also have cool sense on this, so it should be cool. Well it used to be very nice and almost ice cold all the time, now it's hotter than the roads in summer. Also I feel like only 1 fan is working.

I'm now getting a message 'driver power state failure' and it 'self repairs' by restarting. I've tried reading up on tech boards about it but I know computers as much as a tortoise knows quantum physics and it was all about c command prompt stuff I do not understand.

And now, my internet on this laptop is so freaking slow, but on my phone and tablet, it's the speed of light. This? It took a full minute to load google. And it would take me an hour to watch a 5 minute youtube clip.

I only use my laptop for surfing the web, writing emails and doing assignments. I'm getting so frustrated having to send my laptop in for repairs that seem to do the job for about 1-2 months and then it starts freezing...then it starts crashing...then the fan is now dumb.

I'm just wondering if there is a solution to all of this that I can deal with because whenever I send it in they only repair the hard drive and I feel it might be something more because it's the same problem each time (although the first time was also a HDD issue as the BIOS failed completely).

Oh and sometimes start up takes forever and guess what? It ends up reinstalling windows! If not that, system restore!

2 Replies to Internet on my laptop is slow

re: Internet on my laptop is slow
By Melly2 Comments: 22, member since Sat Dec 14, 2013
On Fri Feb 21, 2014 09:31 PM
Have you scanned for a virus and keep the anti virus up to date. Might be malware which is causing this issue.
re: Internet on my laptop is slow
By calamyuk Comments: 23, member since Wed Sep 07, 2011
On Tue Feb 25, 2014 05:08 AM
Could have something to do with internet provider, check the speed you should be getting x

ReplySendWatch