Forum: Irish / Irish

So who is doing what for St. Patrick's?
By JigEnPointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 24, 2014 09:06 AM

I'm curious as to what everyone has going on. :) Unfortunately for me, I just moved, so I have no idea what I will be doing, if I'll be dancing anywhere, etc., but I know the company I was in has a big show..... too bad it's too far away, huh?

What are you up to for March?

11 Replies to So who is doing what for St. Patrick's?

re: So who is doing what for St. Patrick's?
By tinydancer1988
On Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:08 AM
Well, being an adult, I have way too much going on to be on my school's show team (work, bf, kids, running around like a crazy person, haha), but I will definitely doing at least one of the parades that the school does, and you can bet you butt that I will go out for a few drinks and do some pub dancing ;)
By Camryn
On Fri Jan 24, 2014 04:46 PM
My friend and I talked about going to eat at a pub and maybe get up and do a little reel or something. It'd be fun!
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 26, 2014 06:36 AM
I will be doing what shows I can based on my schedule and child care.
My school puts on a show each year, and I'll be part of that. This year we are doing Avenue Q meets Irish Dance- we're dancing with puppets (and stay tuned, because if it goes well, we're taking a 6 minute version to Oireachtas and worlds!)
I might try to find a pub to dance a reel in for a drink, but that depends on schedule and child care, too
By Claddagh24
On Sat Mar 15, 2014 06:30 AM
Your St Pat's days all sound like a lot of fun. I'm not dancing myself, but the rest of my class and school are doing a few displays. I'll be playing the tin whistle at one tomorrow which should be interesting - I've only been playing a month and it's my first performance!
By sarahbalera
On Sat Mar 15, 2014 07:08 AM
I'm dancing in the City of Dublin feis tomorrow - it'll be my first feis in over a year and my first feis for my new school :) Then on Monday, I'm meeting a friend in Dublin and we'll possibly end up watching the parade in Dublin City.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 15, 2014 09:15 AM
Just teaching, this year. I have had some enquiries about performing but with a handful of little beginners, including some who took their first class only last week, that's pushing it a bit (a lot!)

Hopefully we'll have a couple of things planned next year but with working full time, it'll be tough to plan anything for the day itself as I'll want to be there with them.

If any of you guys do performances on weekdays - do you always have a teacher there? Do they take the day off work, or do senior dancers/parents take over the co-ordination?
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:57 AM
I had our first show on Wednesday at a retirement home, there was going to be another show that afternoon but there was a flu outbreak so it was cancelled.

Now I just have shows at the Irish Supporters Club (where we have our classes) tonight, tomorrow, and then our last show on Monday night. Sunday will a long day as I have 2-4 hours of fundraising after our dancing.

This is definitely a much calmer St. Patrick's day/week/month than it used to be a few years ago, but I don't mind. I'm too old to be doing 10 shows a day now. :P
By seannettaPremium member
On Sat Mar 15, 2014 02:49 PM
My Paddy's performances began on Thursday night with my performance group. Our six-day stretch looks like this:

--Thurs: retirement home
--Fri: Air Force officers' party
--Sat: Local parade, grocery/department store (cross between formal performance and flash-mob style), then with a band at a pub tonight
--Sun: Huge parade in nearby city
--Mon: Another grocery/department store, another retirement home, a pub with a band, another pub with a band, and finishing with -- you guessed it -- a pub with a band
--Tues: final retirement home

I'm only halfway through and my legs are already dead, thanks to skipping down several city blocks and 99% of our shows being on concrete. But I'm having fun.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 15, 2014 03:16 PM
I'm jealous! It all sounds like fun. All I am doing is ankle range of motion exercises and general strengthening. :(. Our school has lots of performances and 2 parades scheduled.
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 15, 2014 06:40 PM
I'll be working to tidy up before my new job starts (Wed the 19th)
I'll probably just hang with hubby, but I'll definitely wear green
My son who's more Irish and I will be celebrating his 24 birthday
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 17, 2014 05:55 PM
Last Tuesday night, in lieu of class a bunch of us adult dancers went to a pub and did a bit of informal dancing and of course drinking beer.

Saturday we had a parade and a performance / party at a different pub. I also drank a lot of beer.

Today, I think some of the kids performed. Me? I just practiced the St Patrick's day set dance, and then I went down to the bar below and had some Guinness.

ReplySendWatch