Forum: Arts / Debates

Debates
Should the Summer and Winter Olympics Always Be Held in the Same City? en>fr fr>en
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4638, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:57 AM

Thoughts? By the title, I mean that should the Summer Olympics always be held for now and all time in, for example, Athens, and the Winter Olympics always be held for now and all time in, for example, Calgary?

I really think that it was a rather stupid decision on the IOC's part to select Sochi, Russia for this year's Winter Olympics. Sochi is in one of the warmest, driest parts of Russia. It's going to add that much more to the expense of the Games, too, to have artificial snow brought in for the outdoor events.

It's been said on the evening news on TV that because of the threat of terrorist attacks, some of the athletes from the U.S. have warned family members not to come as spectators to the Olympics, but rather to watch the Olympics at home on TV. In spite of Putin's "ring of steel" around Sochi, female suicide bombers who call themselves "black widows" have threatened to attack the Olympic Village, and have already done so. Other terrorist groups too have threatened to strike in Sochi. There have been some kerfuffles between the people who live in the slums in and around Sochi and the Olympic Village architects about much of the slums having been torn apart. Apparently, the IOC and the village architects didn't think to consider the slums around Sochi, nor the people living in the slums. I guess, though, that no matter where the Olympics are held, there always are slums and violence therein in the surrounding area. Witness the slums and the violence therein that we see in the U.S. cities Detroit and Toledo. There will of course be violent gangs in Rio when the next summer Olympcs are held there.

13 Replies to Should the Summer and Winter Olympics Always Be Held in the Same City?

re: Should the Summer and Winter Olympics Always Be Held in the Same City? en>fr fr>en
By aerial Comments: 1170, member since Sun Sep 02, 2001
On Tue Jan 28, 2014 05:53 AM
I don't think so. It is nice for different parts of the world to have access. I do think they should be more careful about where they do hold them and not pick messed up countries with suicide bombers. I know anything can happen anywhere. It has happened here but to pick a place where they know for cure it is going to happen is careless and stupid.
re: Should the Summer and Winter Olympics Always Be Held in the Same City? en>fr fr>en
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Tue Jan 28, 2014 05:55 AM
Do you have any idea what kind of economic state Greece is in at the moment?!

Hosting huge events like this is expensive. We need to share the burden (and the opportunities) worldwide.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7414, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Tue Jan 28, 2014 08:05 AM
I totally thought this was going to be a discussion about how several once-Olympic venues are still standing, abandoned.

www.huffingtonpost.com . . .

www.popularmechanics.com . . .
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7153, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Tue Jan 28, 2014 09:40 AM
While Sochi was obviously a huge mistake (it's not even a particularly cold area), and Rio is starting to look problematic, no the same two cities shouldn't get to host the Olympics every time. There is definitely merit for using former cities again, but not every time. For example, Salt Lake City (Utah, U.S. 2002) has maintained it's venues and I have heard that they would like to host again at some point. I have no problem with that. Athens as an example and even Beijing have not kept up their stadiums and it's all been a big waste of money. That was their choice (or at the very least came out due to poor decision making). IIRC London, didn't build many new venues and some of the venues they used were able to be taken apart. This cut down on a lot of waste.

The fact that Sochi has spent 50 BILLION dollars on this Olympics is on Putin. He is staking his legacy on the success of these games. I've not heard of another world leader feeling this way towards the games. Yes it's a source of national pride but not to this extreme. Sochi was obviously a mistake, and like I said, Rio is having it's problems that will hopefully be worked out. The IOC seems to be learning from these situations though. South Korea is getting 2018, they came in second to Sochi for this games (Salzburg was third btw). They learned from Athens and did not give the games to Madrid for 2020, going with a much more stable Tokyo instead. The U.S. is looking into bidding for 2024, and I bet Paris will too and we'll just have to see what is happening in the world at that time. The U.S. hosted the games just months after 9/11/01, and I don't remember there being such a concern about security as Sochi, but it has been awhile.

But I'm getting off topic, the answer for me is NO the Olympics shouldn't be limited to two cities but the IOC should be more concerned in the future about the stability of the countries and cities and should be more open to repeat cities. But the Olympics is a huge event and honor that should be shared, and also an expensive entity that again should be shared, by those who want to and have the ability to host a safe and successful games.
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:51 AM
Louise wrote:

Hosting huge events like this is expensive. We need to share the burden (and the opportunities) worldwide.

Any city that would be required to host the Olympics year after year would basically collapse under the weight of this burden in less than a decade and a half (so 2-3 Olympic years). There's cities now who are STILL in a financial mess from hosting in the late 90s/early 2000s.

But as Moonlitefairy06 said, there should be someway to have cities rehost more often that already have the infrastructure in place to support it. It's irresponsible to keep allowing these places to bankrupt themselves, push people from their homes and out into the streets (*cough* Rio) all in the effort to build these world class venues that may or may not ever get used again.
By DefyingGravityPremium member Comments: 5265, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:56 AM
slice wrote:

But as Moonlitefairy06 said, there should be someway to have cities rehost more often that already have the infrastructure in place to support it.
Re-using Winter Olympic venues wouldn't be that difficult, I don't think. For example, Squaw Valley (Lake Tahoe) could certainly re-host (1960 Olympics). The venues are perfectly preserved and used all the time since it's one of the premier skiing areas in America. They'd have to rebuild the Village, though, because the 1960 Village is now high-end shopping and hotels, lol.
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Tue Jan 28, 2014 03:09 PM
Part of the reason the Olympics have gotten so expensive for the host cities is because they're expected to put on such a show. It's like people thinking that the only way to have a wedding is to spend $100,000. There are ways to cut back on your wedding budget and still have a beautiful wedding, and ways to cut back on the Olympic budget and still have a great games.

However, no one is willing to do that, because we are a global culture of bigger is better.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7153, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Tue Jan 28, 2014 05:06 PM
I read in an article recently (sorry I can't find i right now) about the debt different cities were in due to hosting the Games. It said that Montreal (1976) just recently paid off their debts. To put that in perspective a bit, Nadia Comaneci was 14 when she got her perfect 10's in Montreal, now she's 51.

The thing with Sochi is that I doubt it will become a big winter hot spot. It's so far south it doesn't get that cold there. They have been hoarding snow for over a year to make this happen. But yes it's def true that other winter game venues fair better than summer game venues for being reused. There are only so many indoor arenas (for gymnastics, basketball etc) a city needs. Though I guess there are only so many skating rinks a city needs too.

If the U.S. hosts another summer games, I like the idea of hosting it in a college city kind of like how they did LA in 84. Dorms can be used, and there would already be a lot of venues. I know Boston and DC are considering it. The problem would be traffic but if they can figure that out they probably wouldn't have to do a whole lot of building using college and professional facilities already in place in a metro area. I love the Olympics and would love for the US to host so I could go, but our country has enough spending issues as it is so the less waste the better.

Beijing really made the Olympics into this spectacular show instead of just a sporting event. I wonder what Russian has planned for the opening and closing ceremonies. I liked that London specifically told people not to expect Beijing extravagance.

But let's get through this Games safely please for the Olympians, tourists and families and all the residents of the area too.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 2995, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Wed Jan 29, 2014 06:17 PM
No, the Olympics should not be given a permanent location.

Look at what hosting the Olympics has done for countries.
Example, preparation for the 1984 winter Olympics: Yugoslavia was a very poor nation, with an economic position in Europe second from the bottom. It seemed incapable of cooperation on any large project. Yugoslavia never had won a medal at the winter games. Sarajevo had only one hotel. Yet the nation rallied behind the cause and pulled off the Olympics with flying colors.

On the other hand, the Olympics has left more prosperous countries with egg on their faces. As Moonlitefairy06 has indicated, Montreal's 1976 Olympic stadium was not paid off until 2006,

In short, hosting the Olympics is a very demanding opportunity for a nation to rally its citizens; to test its mettle; and to promote itself worldwide.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9018, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 07:41 PM
No. The Sydney Olympics has done WONDERS for tourism here, which we desperately needed. We are very capable of holding a large event. Hell, we don't have much snow but we'll try to put on a Winter Olympics if we could!
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 01:37 AM
On Sochi's snow - I saw an interview with a British skier yesterday and she said they'd been keeping snow in freezers since last winter, but in the end it has actually snowed (she says there's two metres of fresh snow) and they won't need to use the stores snow. Wasn't it like this last time too? Didn't it only snow like the day before, meaning no-one had time to train?
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:04 PM
I think you are right that Vancouver was unseasonably warm in 2010 which I'm not sure they were prepared for so in that regard, Sochi storing snow since they knew there was a good chance of it being too warm was a good idea, even if it was probably very costly.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Sun Feb 02, 2014 02:35 PM
Atlanta would be more than capable of hosting the games again. A lot of the venues are still standing & most have been renovated. The Olympic Village was turned into dorms for Georgia Tech (I could see sharing space with foreign world class female athletes going over *very well* with the frat boys).

The problem is the IOC picking these (relatively) small towns without the budget, resources, or infrastructure to be successful. I understand wanting to give the little guys a better shot, but it's inefficient and costly. This seems to be more true for the Winter Olympics than the summer games.

I don't think one city should be responsible every year, but keep the same 5 or 6 in rotation.
By RileyA Comments: 3105, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Sun Mar 30, 2014 01:57 AM
That would not really work.

For example the city I live in would be a great place for the Summer Olympics, but it's still hot in Winter and has never snowed so how could we have the Winter Olympics here too.

If it was required to be in the same city you would really limit the choices.

ReplySendWatch